Prospect Info: Prospect Thread (Overseas, College, Junior, etc)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
how has the development of fydor svechkov been? ...is he playing C in Milwaukee? any chance he makes the big club this year?
Progressing well and has been playing C in Milwaukee. Unlikely he makes the team out of camp, but we do have more opportunity at C than the wing right now so I could see him getting a chance during the season if players struggle or injuries pile up though.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
how has the development of fydor svechkov been? ...is he playing C in Milwaukee? any chance he makes the big club this year?
He should be #1C in Milwaukee. I think he has been sneaky-great in his first AHL season, probably better than most of us expected tbh. Not quite ready for regular NHL duty or a candidate to make the team out of camp, but he could get a brief callup at some point if injuries stack up on the main Preds roster.

Assuming he has another impressive season in Milwaukee, I think he'll be pushing hard to make the team out of camp in 2025.

Reactions: PredsV82

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
BTW, it appears we get to retain rights on the 3 players who are using their Covid exceptions to return for a 5th NCAA year... Fontaine, McLane, and Reid?

Not that this is any great boon to our prospect pool, but fwiw Reid is going back to UNH, Fontaine is switching to Ohio State, and McLane is switching to Colorado College for their 5th NCAA seasons.

Meanwhile, Haider and Campbell turned pro and we technically lost their rights, except they signed AHL deals with Milwaukee so are basically sticking around in stealth mode.

1723931479853.png

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I thought COVID extensions for winter sports were done

Key point:

Extended Eligibility
Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the NCAA Division I Council announced.

Reactions: triggrman

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX

Key point:

Extended Eligibility
Winter sport student-athletes who compete during 2020-21 in Division I will receive both an additional season of competition and an additional year in which to complete it, the NCAA Division I Council announced.
Whether NCAA gives guys extended eligibility shouldn't change how long NHL teams keep the player's rights. Seems like that would require change in CBA.

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Whether NCAA gives guys extended eligibility shouldn't change how long NHL teams keep the player's rights. Seems like that would require change in CBA.
Anyway, that’s how all the transaction pages have listed them, so… :dunno: I don’t believe the NHL is very big anymore on publicizing small details that us fans shouldn’t worry our pretty heads about.

Maybe it will even become a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent, because I can’t say that I have any interest in digging out more of the story. Those guys got a 5th year of NCAA eligibility, multiple transaction pages listed the August 15 expirees who weren’t taking the 5th year as expired, and are listing the guys who did as remaining on NHL reserve lists for an extra year. It is what it is. Unless they’re all wrong.

The most important part of this is that the Atlanta guy can still vote for Fontaine in the prospect rankings. That’s all that REALLY matters! :naughty:

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
McLane and Fontaine still have a pretty low shot at getting contracts from Nashville after their 5th NCAA season.

Reid is an interesting case. He had a big uptick in offensive production last season doubling his previous high of 8P. Still not massive offensive production but something to see if he can continue to develop. Still with Gibson, Ufko, Prokop, Livingstone and Matier all under contract or RFA at season end... there isnt a ton of room for RHD in Milwaukee. Still have Kulonummi and MacKinnon unsigned as younger RHD options as well. End of the day, Reid probably gets passed up as well but our NHL RHD depth is weak with Fabbro, Carrier, and Schenn so one or both of Ufko/Gibson might not stay in Milwaukee long (id wager Ufko is up in Nashville next season and Gibson the year after).

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Anyway, that’s how all the transaction pages have listed them, so… :dunno: I don’t believe the NHL is very big anymore on publicizing small details that us fans shouldn’t worry our pretty heads about.

Maybe it will even become a self-fulfilling prophecy to some extent, because I can’t say that I have any interest in digging out more of the story. Those guys got a 5th year of NCAA eligibility, multiple transaction pages listed the August 15 expirees who weren’t taking the 5th year as expired, and are listing the guys who did as remaining on NHL reserve lists for an extra year. It is what it is. Unless they’re all wrong.

The most important part of this is that the Atlanta guy can still vote for Fontaine in the prospect rankings. That’s all that REALLY matters! :naughty:
You may be right about retaining rights on these guys. The players impacted (league wide) tend to be lesser prospects, so it hasn’t been priority issue for me to wrap arms around. What echl roster these guys end up on likely won’t matter much.

AintLifeGrand

Burnin Jet-A
Apr 8, 2009
GreatestSnowOnEarth
just absolute trash

you can tell how poorly conceived it was when he forgot Matthew Wood is a rising Jr not Sophmore.

Very lazy journalism. I am glad I canceled my sub to the NYTimes/Fake News Athletic

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
For those that dont want to jump back and forth or are paywalled here was the top prospects from Pronman

David Edstrom
Luke Evangelista
Yegor Surin
Matthew Wood
Tanner Molendyk
Joakim Kemell
Ryan Ufko
Andrew Gibson
Fedor Svechkov
Austin Roest
Teddy Stiga
Reid Schaefer

Im paywalled so i cant see his reasoning but not having L'Heureux here is nuts. He is easily higher than Roest and Schaefer.

this for sure needed it's own thread
Well it was housed in the prospect ranking Edström addition and that is closed now.

triggrman

Where is Hipcheck85
Sponsor
May 8, 2002
Murfreesboro, TN
hfboards.com
I hope he's right that Edstrom is better than Evangelista, that would be awesome. I don't think Wood is better than Kimell or Molendyk though and like you guy said, no L'Heureux is nuts.

jumb0

Feb 3, 2017
Tomasino and Parssinen "graduated" and L'Heureux is in the "has a chance to play" category

Patty Ice

Feb 27, 2002
Not California
Wait that is in order? No way Edstrom is better than at least 4 or 5 of those guys. Nashville has a very solid forward group. I like Edstrom but he is likely a top bottom 6 guy. Guys like Kemell and Woods have much better potential.

Reactions: AtlantaWhaler

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Tomasino and Parssinen "graduated" and L'Heureux is in the "has a chance to play" category
After the season and postseason L'Heureux had in the AHL (especially when you compare him to Schaefer who is just a couple months younger than L'Heureux), i dont understand how you could justify having him in "has a chance to play". The MIL coach already stated he was the most NHL ready of young players there.

Wait that is in order? No way Edstrom is better than at least 4 or 5 of those guys. Nashville has a very solid forward group. I like Edstrom but he is likely a top bottom 6 guy. Guys like Kemell and Woods have much better potential.
Yes that was the order

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019
After the season and postseason L'Heureux had in the AHL (especially when you compare him to Schaefer who is just a couple months younger than L'Heureux), i dont understand how you could justify having him in "has a chance to play". The MIL coach already stated he was the most NHL ready of young players there.
Yeah I can at least understand the argument to have L'Hereux down in like the 6-7 range but there are so many guys ahead of him with lesser draft pedigree and lesser results that it makes no sense. But whatever I've never understood why Pronman is considered a top mind in prospect evaluation anyways.

That makes no sense if Evangelista is still on the list
I think Pronman uses age 23 as a hard cut off but yes it is still stupid to not consider the fact Evangelista was a full time NHL player last year. Although Tomasino was also a full time player in 21-22 so anything can happen I suppose.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I think Pronman uses age 23 as a hard cut off but yes it is still stupid to not consider the fact Evangelista was a full time NHL player last year. Although Tomasino was also a full time player in 21-22 so anything can happen I suppose.
This is pipeline rating of young players, not just prospects. Not defending the rankings, which are suspect, but guys like Wyatt Johsnton in Dallas and Byfield in LA are in these rankings for their teams too.

Reactions: Predsanddead24

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad