Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #6 (2024 Version) - NOTICE: please change your vote to Ilyin or Ponomaryov

Who do you rank as the Penguins #6 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Randy Butternubs

Mar 15, 2008
Morningside
Murashov won a not close #5.

Vote for who you think is the Penguins #6 prospect.

Poll closes in 2-4 days, unless voting is not close.

Results so far:

#1 Yager 92.6% (called early)
#2 Blomqvist 70.9% (called early)
#3 Pickering 55.7% (asked people to change votes to avoid a runoff)
#4 Koivunen 54.3%
#5 Murashov 66.7% (called early)

Tasty Biscuits

with fancy sauce
Aug 8, 2011
Pittsburgh
If you think Pono is a legitimate 3C, then he's probably the move at this point. If he just tops out as a 4C, look elsewhere.

Me? I haven't seen enough of the remaining options, so, basically just going off vibes from here on out.

Reactions: Sideline

eXile3

Dec 12, 2020
I went Ilyin for the time being. Pono seems to project more of a 4th liner which are entirely replaceable.

CheckingLineCenter

Aug 10, 2018
Ilyin needs to do it again and then I’ll be a believer. I would pick him if his skating was better.

Pono is a solid development arc for how you’d hope Howe performs in the AHL. And is a better skater.

Brunicke is probably the best on pure upside

Pieniniemi looks really solid but his numbers suck, and they suck in a weak Euro league.

Broz is similar to Pieniniemi where he looks solid but never has put up that big year.

They’re all very similar caliber I just go Pono because he’s had most success in NA and is a good skater/athlete with skill.

Andy99

Jun 26, 2017
Howe, Brunicke, Pono, Ilyin and Broz to me are all very similar with strengths and weaknesses…I picked my boy Broz because he’s been developing for awhile in North America, is closer to the NHL like Pono but imo has higher upside to play outside the bottom six

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Man, this one was close for me between Pono and Ilyin. I only went with Ilyin because he was nearly at a .5ppg in the KHL at 18 which is RARE. The fact that he stuck with the KHL team the entire year and was reasonably productive, gives him the edge over Pono. I think Pono will be our future 3C and it likely closer to the NHL than Ilyin at the moment but in terms of professional leagues, he's proved a smidge more.

This is where it's starting to get tough. For me, it was between Ilyin, Pono, Howe, and Brunicke. They all have pros and cons. Howe and Brunicke are the shiny new toys so it's tough to keep recency bias out of it.

Ilyin
Pono
Brunicke
Howe
Poulin
Broz

Is how I'm feeling today.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
Man, this one was close for me between Pono and Ilyin. I only went with Ilyin because he was nearly at a .5ppg in the KHL at 18 which is RARE. The fact that he stuck with the KHL team the entire year and was reasonably productive, gives him the edge over Pono. I think Pono will be our future 3C and it likely closer to the NHL than Ilyin at the moment but in terms of professional leagues, he's proved a smidge more.

This is where it's starting to get tough. For me, it was between Ilyin, Pono, Howe, and Brunicke. They all have pros and cons. Howe and Brunicke are the shiny new toys so it's tough to keep recency bias out of it.

Ilyin
Pono
Brunicke
Howe
Poulin
Broz

Is how I'm feeling today.
For me everyone already on the list except Yager belongs in this same group. I wouldn't be shocked to see any of them bust out or become top 6 forwards, top 4 d, or starting goalies respectively.

The older guys are maybe less likely to reach that peak, but they are all pretty close to NHL depth player quality already. The younger guys have a lot left to prove, but more time to develop.

I value the high upside unproven guys like Ilyin and Pickering, but I don't have a ton of confidence they end up being the best players 5 years from now.

Reactions: CheckingLineCenter

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
If you don’t vote for Ilyin then f*** you.
It's a beautiful day in the neighborhood, won't you be mine, won't you be mine...

iu

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
For me everyone already on the list except Yager belongs in this same group. I wouldn't be shocked to see any of them bust out or become top 6 forwards, top 4 d, or starting goalies respectively.

The older guys are maybe less likely to reach that peak, but they are all pretty close to NHL depth player quality already. The younger guys have a lot left to prove, but more time to develop.

I value the high upside unproven guys like Ilyin and Pickering, but I don't have a ton of confidence they end up being the best players 5 years from now.
That's probably fair but I also there's an aspect of expectations that we have to keep in mind. If the expectation is top 6 forward or top 4 dman for everyone, we are likely to be disappointed. But if we take all 10 and say "one top 6 forward, 3 bottom 6 forward, 1 top 4 dman, 1 capable goalie" then we might be in line with expectations.

Pono, Koivunen, Howe, Broz, Poulin, Ilyin, Yager...there's bound to be a top 6 forward in there. I would say Pono-Poulin-Koivunen could easily be bottom 6 forward. One of Brunicke or Pickering hopefully become a top 4 dman, especially considering that being a #4 doesn't take THAT much more than being a reliable, solid bottom pairing guy. Then I imagine one of Blomy or Murashov will work out.

In the past, when I read people being down on our prospects, it's because their expectation are foolish. Like in the Jake trade - the expectation was "are they going to become Jake?" Well, likely no, but there's about 1800 guys drafted since 2013 that aren't Jake so...what are we really talking about here?

Sideline

May 23, 2004
That's probably fair but I also there's an aspect of expectations that we have to keep in mind. If the expectation is top 6 forward or top 4 dman for everyone, we are likely to be disappointed. But if we take all 10 and say "one top 6 forward, 3 bottom 6 forward, 1 top 4 dman, 1 capable goalie" then we might be in line with expectations.

Pono, Koivunen, Howe, Broz, Poulin, Ilyin, Yager...there's bound to be a top 6 forward in there. I would say Pono-Poulin-Koivunen could easily be bottom 6 forward. One of Brunicke or Pickering hopefully become a top 4 dman, especially considering that being a #4 doesn't take THAT much more than being a reliable, solid bottom pairing guy. Then I imagine one of Blomy or Murashov will work out.

In the past, when I read people being down on our prospects, it's because their expectation are foolish. Like in the Jake trade - the expectation was "are they going to become Jake?" Well, likely no, but there's about 1800 guys drafted since 2013 that aren't Jake so...what are we really talking about here?
I agree with this. I'm more positive on the prospect pool than I was 3 years ago because there are just more guys that have a legitimate chance to become a player. Ten guys with a 20% chance of being something worthwhile means you can be pretty confident you actually get a player out of the pool.

Reactions: SEALBound

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Ilyin needs to do it again and then I’ll be a believer. I would pick him if his skating was better.

Pono is a solid development arc for how you’d hope Howe performs in the AHL. And is a better skater.

Brunicke is probably the best on pure upside

Pieniniemi looks really solid but his numbers suck, and they suck in a weak Euro league.

Broz is similar to Pieniniemi where he looks solid but never has put up that big year.

They’re all very similar caliber I just go Pono because he’s had most success in NA and is a good skater/athlete with skill.

CDC's scurvy rhetoric has swayed me. Sorry. CLC. I've no idea why I default to calling you the Center for Disease Control.

Tangent, but I'm still tempted to put Poulin high. His numbers don't really warrant it but I feel like his weird whacky route means there's still some meat on the bone in terms of exposure to pro coaching and bigger guys putting it together a year or so after most people wrote them off as AHL fodder is not uncommon.

Reactions: Gurglesons

Malkinstheman

Aug 12, 2012
Tangent, but I'm still tempted to put Poulin high. His numbers don't really warrant it but I feel like his weird whacky route means there's still some meat on the bone in terms of exposure to pro coaching and bigger guys putting it together a year or so after most people wrote them off as AHL fodder is not uncommon.
Was about the post the same thing. Feels like Poulin is getting really underrated here. COVID really threw off his development but he had a good year and is still only 23. I could see him lighting up the AHL for like 10 games and then grabbing a permanent NHL spot this season.

Peat

Jun 14, 2016
Was about the post the same thing. Feels like Poulin is getting really underrated here. COVID really threw off his development but he had a good year and is still only 23. I could see him lighting up the AHL for like 10 games and then grabbing a permanent NHL spot this season.

Unless I'm mistaken, he no longer has waiver exemption, which is a rather large turd in the cheerios bowl with that plan. I'm not going to say its impossible after watching Ty Smith make it through waivers last year but, in general, I feel former 1st round picks in this sort of "underwhelmed but you can still see it happening" stage of development either stick up or get traded for a 3rd/4th when they become waiver eligible.

KareemTrustfund

Domiking Simon
Jun 19, 2012
Maybe add Lucius

He’s had arguably two better college seasons than Broz ever had. I might vote for him first.

Going with Ilyn.

Reactions: SEALBound

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan
I votes Pono because I do believe he will be in the NHL and I do see 3C in his future. He will not be Jordan Staal Level. Would really love to see him knock on the door this year.

Reactions: Sorry
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad