Prospect Info: Prospect Rating #5 (2024 Version)

Who do you rank as the Penguins #5 Prospect?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tom Hanks

Spelling mistakes brought to you by my iPhone.
Nov 10, 2017
What's a Maniscalco?

Also I can't tell if Hanks is being sarcastic or not but I can't help but agree a little. But the fact is that two of the best ten prospects in this group are goaltenders even if they are all airheads. And the idea of drafting and developing a ready contingent of goaltenders you can cycle through is a solid plan...

...I mean... it would be at least... if this team actually followed through on that last part. But we have Tristan Jarry locked up forever. Hooray.
Maniacalco is obviously a gelato base dessert with some fancy mix-in’s.

Sarcastic about not having goalies in the voting.

Not sarcastic that goalies are basket cases. It’s really hard to find goalies that are consistently good almost every year.

Some show promise but never deliver, others a good for a few years then fall off a cliff then if you’re lucky they maybe rebound if you’re forced to keep them because of the contract you gave them for a couple good years. Then there is …….

<change to David Attenborough voice>

Ah, the elusive high-end NHL goaltender—a majestic creature that roams the frozen tundras of hockey rinks. Let us observe these remarkable beings in their natural habitat, shall we?

<change to David Attenborough hushed voice>

And here we find ourselves in the heart of the NHL, where the goaltenders reign supreme. These guardians of the crease are like ancient wizards, warding off pucks with their enchanted pads and mystical gloves. But fear not, dear viewer, for we are about to witness a rare sight: the high-end, consistent goaltender.

Ugene Magic

EVIL LAUGH
Oct 17, 2008
Pittsburgh
What I was alluding to was more or less how their league levels work:

KHL = NHL
VHL = AHL
MHL = CHL/NCAA

Sure, the NHL > KHL and AHL >> VHL but the point was to show the comparable paths a player would take.

Blomqvist had mostly junior-level play before being voted #5, so again, it's not that uncommon for us. He actually played two games in Liiga and posted 4.73 GAA and .808 sv%. So Mursahov posting what he did in the KHL, at his age, is still impressive.
Would you rank this crop on par with that crop?

I don't think so.

I have him at #8/#7 with the Jake trade and recent draft.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Would you rank this crop on par with that crop?

I don't think so.

I have him at #8/#7 with the Jake trade and recent draft.
This year is stronger, for sure but Murashov is every bit as strong of a prospect as anyone else on the list. Goalies are fickle though so who knows but he's posted very, VERY good stats up to now. For most, that's what we have to go on. In that regard, I don't believe anyone else has posted better numbers in their respective positions.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I will say this for Ilyin, he only has this year left on his KHL deal so we should know pretty quick what he is unless he never comes over.

I voted Murashov because I’m more familiar with his game but admittedly it is a bit concerning how crowded the organizational net is. Hopefully the cream rises to the top but AHL teams also want to win and sometimes favor vets over developing younger guys.
Crowded how? Blomqvist and Murashov, those are the only two names you should give any shits about mate.

Ned and Jarry are just here for now, until those two are ready.

Honour Over Glory

Sully-Quinn: Idiots Squared
Jan 30, 2012
I'll believe it when I see it at this point. This team is run by cretins and numbskulls.
giphy.gif

SomeDude

Mar 6, 2006
Pittsburghish
Crowded how? Blomqvist and Murashov, those are the only two names you should give any shits about mate.

Ned and Jarry are just here for now, until those two are ready.
Murashov is starting at 6th on the depth chart by default.

Jarry
Ned
Blomqvist
Larsson
Gauthier
Murashov
Whatever a Jaxon Castor is

Larsson has more pro experience and was signed as the token vet AHL goalie ala Hellberg last year. Those are the kind of guys that get a lot of work in the AHL. Those coaches want to win as their careers depend on it. They’re not going to be patient with a rookie.

Gauthier is coming off winning the ECHL equivalent of the Vezina. He would be in the AHL in most organizations.

So essentially he’s slated as Wheeling’s backup barring injuries or any unforeseen moves.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad