GDT: Prospect camp / GDT -- Camp opens 09/11 -- Games 09/14 and 09/15 against Habs

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Knies iT

Mar 6, 2015
Grebenkin is still my bet to make the team. Stands to gain the most from learning at the NHL level, with the least to gain by playing outside of it. Looks like a pro with "it" factor who is above this level. Love his game.

Niemela excelling statistically is nice, but he shouldn't even be in this tourney with his pro experience. Early glimpse shows strengths/weaknesses track similar to last year; hard to takeaway much here.

Quillan was a nice surprise. Looks more polished than expected. Probably not far out from being a short-term injury replacement.

Hirvonen/Voit don't do it for me, the latter especially.

Lightsol

Aug 2, 2005
That reference eludes me, but I read it as Bernie Sanders so that's good, I guess...

Anyway, yeah, he'll be lucky if he's half as good as Stuart Percy. ;)
Barry Sanders is one of the best, if not THE best, running back in NFL history. Comparing a player to him would be like comparing a player to Gretzky or Lemieux.
Speaking of Habs and their love of massively overrating their prospects, anyone remember when they had the next Gretzky-Kurri combo in Chris Higgins and Alexei Kostitsyn?

Lemontree

Fire Dubas
Feb 12, 2018
Barry Sanders is one of the best, if not THE best, running back in NFL history. Comparing a player to him would be like comparing a player to Gretzky or Lemieux.
Speaking of Habs and their love of massively overrating their prospects, anyone remember when they had the next Gretzky-Kurri combo in Chris Higgins and Alexei Kostitsyn?
Its always makes me laugh when I hear fans say the Leafs overrate their prospects like no other team, apparently other fans bases aren't aware of the Habs. Since 2000, I remember hearing such gems such as:

Marcel Hossa would be a surefire top 6 forward.
Alex Perezhogin would be a top line winger.
Chris Higgins would be a multi time all-star.
Andrei Kostitsyn would be a top 10 point scorer in the league.
Alexi Emelin would be a top pairing Dman for years to come.
Guillaume Lantendresse would be a premier power forward.
Louis Leblanc's floor would be a very good 2nd line C.
Jarred Tinordi would be a top shutdown D for years to come.
Nathan Beaulieu would be a guaranteed top 4 Dman for years.

They dominated the 2012 NHL Draft (They made 7 selections with only Galchenyk and Hudon playing any NHL games).

Michael McCarron would be a top 6 power forward.
Jacob De La Rose would be an elite defensive C that would be in selke conversations.
Noah Juulsen would be a top pairing Dman.
Ryan Poehling would be a guaranteed top 6 forward.
Alexander Romanov would be a Norris caliber Dman.

Habs fans overrate their D prospects like crazy, feels like the current situation (Guhle, Mailloux, Hutson, Reinbacher). The team will be scary to play in a couple of years once all 4 of these #1 Dmen develop.

darrylsittler27

Oct 21, 2002
Grebenkin is still my bet to make the team. Stands to gain the most from learning at the NHL level, with the least to gain by playing outside of it. Looks like a pro with "it" factor who is above this level. Love his game.

Niemela excelling statistically is nice, but he shouldn't even be in this tourney with his pro experience. Early glimpse shows strengths/weaknesses track similar to last year; hard to takeaway much here.

Quillan was a nice surprise. Looks more polished than expected. Probably not far out from being a short-term injury replacement.

Hirvonen/Voit don't do it for me, the latter especially.
Before the draft I thought we had 7 guys who would help the Leafs. Those 2 are longshots and at best bottom 6 ones. You look at our lineup and there is no one they can steal a job from. Next year players as such as Cowan, Minten and Grebs will be playing and those 2 will vanish as so many before.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad