Proposal: Proposal Werenski - Murray

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

trade2alex

Aug 29, 2016
Montreal
What do you guys Think about Zach Werenski and a 2nd round pick for Matt Murray? who should add? and how much?
* Do not think at the fact pitts need murray. just talk about the value. cant wait to hear your opinion:yo:

Last edited by a moderator:

Mike Hasselhoffman

Bell Centre Baywatch
Sep 17, 2011
This Josh Werenski is gonna be real good, so much better than Zach Werenski :wink:

But seriously, value is probably solid but neither team does it. Columbus has Bobrovsky and Pittsburgh should keep Murray with expansion looming.

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
In terms of LD, the Penguins already have Pouliot, Dumoulin and Maatta as under 24 NHL defensemen. I really don't see a reason why they'd trade for Werenski, especially while sacrificing something they can't really afford to give up.

I don't really see why the Jackets would need Murray either. Don't they already have Korpisalo and Forsberg as pretty good goalie prospects?

trade2alex

Aug 29, 2016
Montreal
In terms of LD, the Penguins already have Pouliot, Dumoulin and Maatta as under 24 NHL defensemen. I really don't see a reason why they'd trade for Werenski, especially while sacrificing something they can't really afford to give up.

I don't really see why the Jackets would need Murray either. Don't they already have Korpisalo and Forsberg as pretty good goalie prospects?

Im talking about the value more than just the teams and everything. In real life no one would do it but in a fantasy league is it a good deal. thats the thing :P

WannabeFinn

Beloved One
May 31, 2014
Columbus
simulationhockey.com
Werenski and a 2nd for Matt Murray? Are you kidding?

Columbus has Bobrovsky (age 27), Korpisalo (age 22), Forsberg (age 23), and Merzlikins (age 22) as notable goalies within the organization. Korpisalo and Forsberg both look to have real NHL futures and Bobrovsky is Bobrovsky. Jarmo would be bat **** crazy to trade Werenski+ for Matt Murray.

WhatWhat

Aug 7, 2014
Sorry to pit fans but a decent chunk would be needed to Murray to get Werenski. This deal is really bad for CBJ, the fact that they add is near insulting

Canada4Gold

Dec 22, 2010
Columbus wouldn't even trade Werenski+ for Ryan Murray let alone Matt Murray :sarcasm:

Seriously though, before I opened the thread I was kinda confused why there were 2 Jackets players there :laugh:

major major

Feb 18, 2013
If Murray puts up ~.925 several years running, then we can discuss. Until then, goalies be goalies.

Dying Alive

Phil = 2x Champ
Mar 11, 2007
Pittsburgh
Goalies don't carry that type of value.

Not generally, no. This one just turned 22 and won a Cup 3 weeks later and is widely considered to be one of the best - if not the best - young goalies in the game. Conversely, Werenski hasn't played a single NHL game yet.

LD is not a need for the Pens and goalie is clearly not a need for CBJ.

JohnnyJacket13

(formerly PD9)
Sponsor
Jan 14, 2015
Columbus
What the damn hell? This makes zero sense, the Jackets have Bob, Korpi, Forsberg AND McElhinney at the moment. We'll trade you Korpisalo and a 2nd for Murray, though ;)

Toby Flenderson

Jun 4, 2015
Sorry to pit fans but a decent chunk would be needed to Murray to get Werenski. This deal is really bad for CBJ, the fact that they add is near insulting

Needs aside, I would never trade Murray for werenski. I don't see why people say goalies don't have high value, he pretty much saved the penguins and brought them the cup. Goalie is the most valuable position imo and Murray is a stud. Would take a huge haul to land Murray and werenski is not it

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
Needs aside, I would never trade Murray for werenski. I don't see why people say goalies don't have high value, he pretty much saved the penguins and brought them the cup. Goalie is the most valuable position imo and Murray is a stud. Would take a huge haul to land Murray and werenski is not it

People say goalies don't have high value because if you look at historical data and trends, they don't get traded for much.

Luongo, a solid starter, with 15% retention was traded for a backup with potential and a depth forward.
Talbot was worth a 2nd, 3rd, and 7th
Lack was a 3rd and a 7th the next year
Khudobin netted a broken James Wisniewski

Only Lehner has returned something with the value of a 1st (21 OV) and even that included David Legwand (for some reason).

If you go back further, the best value you find is Cory Schneider; but he had proven a lot at that point. Heck look at what Bob was traded for, not much really.

Very rare do you see a top prospect or top 10 pick moved for a goalie. Those players are used for top line forwards or top pair D.

I'm not arguing goalies shouldn't be valued more, just that traditionally, they have not been valued highly.

Crede777

Deputized
Dec 16, 2009
Very rare do you see a top prospect or top 10 pick moved for a goalie. Those players are used for top line forwards or top pair D.

I'm not arguing goalies shouldn't be valued more, just that traditionally, they have not been valued highly.

This. Not saying Pitt should move Murray or anything. Just that the going price for any goalie tends to be a 2nd or 3rd round pick, or in the case of a proven All-Star a mid-1st.

Viqsi

"that chick from Ohio"
Oct 5, 2007
40N 83W (approx)
People say goalies don't have high value because if you look at historical data and trends, they don't get traded for much.

More to the point, those trends exist because historically goaltender performance is notoriously unreliable and unpredictable except in a few very rare cases, and most folks (when contemplating changing their goaltenders) tend to prefer to roll the dice with a new youngster rather than go for one of the predictable ones anyways.

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
Terrible value for Columbus

You forgot the :sarcasm:

Murray will likely be the Penguins starter for the next decade...and he's good...Stanley Cup good. Why would we trade him for a LD that we don't exactly need right now...especially one that hasn't played a NHL game?

And what makes you think the difference between a rookie Cup winning goalie and a 0 game NHL dman prospect is a 2nd round pick?

You could offer Boone Jenner and Zach Werenski and I still doubt the Pens consider it.

cslebn

80 forever
Feb 15, 2012
More to the point, those trends exist because historically goaltender performance is notoriously unreliable and unpredictable except in a few very rare cases, and most folks (when contemplating changing their goaltenders) tend to prefer to roll the dice with a new youngster rather than go for one of the predictable ones anyways.

Totally agree.

You can even look at the number of mediocre goalies that have cups (Crawford, Niemi, Ward, Osgood, Vernon, Giguere).

Goalies are just so streaky (we know, see Bob).

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad