Pronman: Ranking U23 NHL players and prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
It's fair to argue this point but it's totally insane that Benson is at #62. As an 18 year old he was brought to camp as a way to give him experience/a taste of playing at this level so he would know what he needed to work on when he went back to the WHL. Instead he was so good the team was forced to have him on the Opening Day roster but with the intent for it to be a 9 game cup of coffee before being sent back. Then he played so well that he forced the team to keep him on the roster and he played in almost every game while being one of our better forwards (if more guys played like him last season we make the playoffs). Pronman's size bias is clearly obvious here.
Agreed that #62 is much too low, I should've included that in my earlier comment. He's a good young player and should continue to rocket up these rankings but I don't have enough knowledge of prospects outside of Ottawa to give you a personal ranking, however, he's most definitely in the top 40-50 especially over some guys who haven't even played a game yet like Danil But and Stian Solberg.

Fantomas

Aug 7, 2012
Copy link on phone, post in safari, click the aA, show reader to read for free.

Another lifehack. Google the title of the article (Ranking the best NHL players and prospects under 23: Bedard, Stützle, Celebrini top the list), locate it in the results, access the link and you can read the whole thing.

NY Times likes it when people access the site through searches and usually lets you read the whole thing. But when you try to access the article through a link you get a paywall.

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Sponsor
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Not sure that's the comparison you want to make your point. I doubt Benson is going to be a big minute PP1/PK1/Line 1 guy in his prime. More likely a marchessault.
Fair enough. Marchessault is a 14 year pro with a Cup and a Conn Smythe. I think Buffalo would be pleased with that career outcome from Benson. In anticipation of something like that, ranking him as the 62nd best U23 is off the mark IMO.

Reactions: ijif and sabremike

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Messed up rankings, but not overly so. Just enough to get Pronman clicks and readers yet he remains respectable.

OKR

Nov 18, 2015
These lists are always controversial. You’re comparing players who’ve dominate juniors the last few years vs. players finding their feet at the highest level. Recency bias is gonna be massive factor.

Someone who has dominated the last 3 years is always gonna sound better on paper than someone who struggled for a year in the big league.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
These lists are always controversial. You’re comparing players who’ve dominate juniors the last few years vs. players finding their feet at the highest level. Recency bias is gonna be massive factor.

Someone who has dominated the last 3 years is always gonna sound better on paper than someone who struggled for a year in the big league.
Even that viewpoint doesn't really explain some of the takes on that list. Guys like Sanderson, Jarvis and Raymond aren't struggling, yet they're ranked behind players who are barely even doing all that great at lower levels.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
Even that viewpoint doesn't really explain some of the takes on that list. Guys like Sanderson, Jarvis and Raymond aren't struggling, yet they're ranked behind players who are barely even doing all that great at lower levels.
He just thinks that at the height of their NHL careers, the prospects will turn out better than the more established guys. It's not that crazy in my opinion. Plus it's fun offseason content.

JohnLennon

Mar 26, 2011
i give credit to pronman for being high on kaprizov when nobody else was , not sure if hes picked a gem since.
Pronman was essentially one of the only sports writers who stuck to their guns about Slafkosvky after his rookie season, too. I remember Bultman and Wheeler giving it to him in a podcast before the season last year, and he stood firm.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
does anyone actually take Pronman seriously?

The athletic really needs to freshen up their hockey writers.

They should promote Ian Mendes, (or Bultman). They are actually good and know their hockey.
His draft ranking is usually pretty spot on. I don’t necessarily have an issue with his U23 list although I think some of my team players are too low (everyone could say the same).

It’s a fun read in early September before training camp. Nothing more, nothing less

My3Sons

Nobody told me there'd be days like these...
Sponsor
He just thinks that at the height of their NHL careers, the prospects will turn out better than the more established guys. It's not that crazy in my opinion. Plus it's fun offseason content.
I'm sick and tired of hearing things from uptight short sighted narrow minded hockey writers. All I want is the truth just gimme some truth

I've had enough of reading things from neurotic psychotic pig headed hockey writers. All I want is the truth just gimme some truth.

No short haired yellow bellied prospect writer is going to mother Hubbard soft soap me with just a pocket full of hope prospects are dope prospects need rope

(early George slide guitar solo)

coooldude

Sponsor
Jul 25, 2007
Response below:
Exactly. He's not rating who they are right now, he's rating who they might become. By definition, younger guys still have a larger range of potential outcomes, so it's not surprising that the prospects still fit in the higher levels of the list.

They should promote Ian Mendes, (or Bultman). They are actually good and know their hockey.
Response below:
His draft ranking is usually pretty spot on. I don’t necessarily have an issue with his U23 list although I think some of my team players are too low (everyone could say the same).

It’s a fun read in early September before training camp. Nothing more, nothing less
Exactly this... Pronman isn't some great prognosticator but he's probably just as well sourced at this point at Bob McKenzie, and he usually takes 1-2 hot takes per year to keep people talking (Yakemchuk, Solberg last year). I'm surprised every time at how UPSET people get when a new list comes out. Sure, he's no better at evaluating talent than you or I, extraordinary keyboard jockeys that we are. But -- I guarantee you Pronman talks to more NHL scouts and spends more time assessing what is likely to happen at the draft, and that's where he is very useful and not at all a hack.

Plus, it's f***ing entertainment, people shouldn't be so wound up about it when someone writes something for a paycheck and for us to read as fans.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
I expect batshit insanity with some of the rankings. So I'm gonna ignore that and point out that the man said Michael Brandsegg-Nygard has an "Average frame".

Today I learned that in the NHL, an 18 year old that's already 6' 1" 207 lbs is built on an "Average frame". :laugh:

Kid is 18 and already has 10 pounds on Sam Bennett.

Golden_Jet

Sep 21, 2005

Mendes was hired by the Senators again, as VP of communications.

Reactions: Chainshot

OgeeOgelthorpe

Riccis per 60 record holder
Feb 29, 2020
Guys that were just drafted and have yet to play a game ranked higher than guys that have scored 30 goals in the nhl. This list is just dumb.

Reactions: Chainshot

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad