Pronman: Ranking U23 NHL players and prospects

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Saga of the Elk

Honoured Person
May 31, 2008
It's a great list for the feeling of wow this guy isn't even 23 yet.

Brought to you by the newspaper of oh my God does Saddam Hussein have a lot of nuclear weapons aimed at San Francisco.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Pronman literally ranked Yakemchuk 3rd overall in his final 2024 ranking, so this isn't shocking, but seriously yikes. You just have to wonder if he's actually ever seen him play or if he's just looking at his height, handedness, and counting stats. But it's really mind-boggling to see Yakemchuk ranked over an established #1D like Sanderson.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
No one is ever going to be happy with lists like this. The closest you can get to happy is some milquetoast consensus that takes no stands on any player.

There are things I disagree on a lot, but I think the takeaway is more about seeing another point of view from someone that watches all these players.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Thanks, I’m gonna stop posting now
I'd argue Luke is even a bit high. No way I'm taking Luke over Sanderson.

Pronman is big on skating ability for prospects tho and Luke has truly elite skating.

Nemec far too low for my liking. Both of them should be in the 10-20 range or so, with silayev below that

Reactions: Sasha Orlov

Kearns

Too good to be true, no?
Sponsor
Jun 7, 2008
Kamloops, BC
Hey, I love a list. And this is a list. Yakemchuk getting a lot of ink in here, rightfully so.

But Zach Benson at #62 stands out to me. Kid acquitted himself quite well in the NHL at 18 years of age. How much is there to separate Benson from another 13oa, Seth Jarvis, who Pronman ranks at #25? Jarvis is faster in straight lines, is a righty and has two inches on Benson. When Benson came to town with Winnipeg, he was a dynamic player every shift.

Time will tell. I think he's missing the mark on Benson, to name one.

RickyLafleur

Fall of Pierre
Oct 17, 2013
Ottawa, ON
Hey, I love a list. And this is a list. Yakemchuk getting a lot of ink in here, rightfully so.

But Zach Benson at #62 stands out to me. Kid acquitted himself quite well in the NHL at 18 years of age. How much is there to separate Benson from another 13oa, Seth Jarvis, who Pronman ranks at #25? Jarvis is faster in straight lines, is a righty and has two inches on Benson. When Benson came to town with Winnipeg, he was a dynamic player every shift.

Probably because Jarvis is older, had a better rookie year than Benson, and was 2nd behind Aho in scoring for Carolina. Jarvis has also done pretty well in the playoffs as well, and looks to be cementing himself as a top line player. Last year Benson finished 9th for Buffalo, who will be fighting for a playoff spot. Time will tell but right now Jarvis is much better than Benson.

Reactions: Eegs and Kearns

sabremike

#1 Tageaholic
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY
Probably because Jarvis is older, had a better rookie year than Benson, and was 2nd behind Aho in scoring for Carolina. Jarvis has also done pretty well in the playoffs as well, and looks to be cementing himself as a top line player. Last year Benson finished 9th for Buffalo, who will be fighting for a playoff spot. Time will tell but right now Jarvis is much better than Benson.
It's fair to argue this point but it's totally insane that Benson is at #62. As an 18 year old he was brought to camp as a way to give him experience/a taste of playing at this level so he would know what he needed to work on when he went back to the WHL. Instead he was so good the team was forced to have him on the Opening Day roster but with the intent for it to be a 9 game cup of coffee before being sent back. Then he played so well that he forced the team to keep him on the roster and he played in almost every game while being one of our better forwards (if more guys played like him last season we make the playoffs). Pronman's size bias is clearly obvious here.

FlyguyOX

Jun 29, 2018

Not sure that's the comparison you want to make your point. I doubt Benson is going to be a big minute PP1/PK1/Line 1 guy in his prime. More likely a marchessault.

Not sure that's the comparison you want to make your point. I doubt Benson is going to be a big minute PP1/PK1/Line 1 guy in his prime. More likely a marchessault.

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
No one is ever going to be happy with lists like this. The closest you can get to happy is some milquetoast consensus that takes no stands on any player.

There are things I disagree on a lot, but I think the takeaway is more about seeing another point of view from someone that watches all these players.

I somewhat agree, but considering the list includes many players in the NHL (and who are watched by a lot of posters on here) and that he has players part of the same organizations with vastly different rankings than fans of the organization would have, I'm skeptical how much he actually watches these players year in year out. Its a lot of players to pay attention to.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad