Project time!

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Qpq definitely left. He and TDMM were going in circles about players like Kariya and Schreiner, and qpq somehow got so annoyed that he logged off and never came back.

TDMM just slowly lost interest. Or more accurately, put less of a priority on posting here after getting engaged.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Qpq definitely left. He and TDMM were going in circles about players like Kariya and Schreiner, and qpq somehow got so annoyed that he logged off and never came back.

TDMM just slowly lost interest. Or more accurately, put less of a priority on posting here after getting engaged.
Weren't we in a project when that happened? It seems I remember you taking over administrative duties midstream.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
That's interesting...qpq was a mod here and seemed pretty invested. I know that he and I had some really different perspectives on things, especially goalies, but I thought our conversations were always productive and light...didn't seem like a guy who would rage quit over a discussion.

Big Phil seemed like another mild mannered guy. Like, a guy you'd talk to at a bar about hockey in the 70's or whatever...

I got the sense that TDMM probably lives a subway ride away from me...maybe I can put a little scare into him *cracks knuckles* - the only thing I need to know is where he lives and what he looks like and approximate height/weight so I can estimate if I can run away from him fast enough without kicking my ass kicked, and we're all set...

The Pale King

Go easy on those Mango Giapanes brother...
Sep 24, 2011
Zeballos
Sent my voting in to seventieslord. Looking forward to whatever we settle on, that said, I have a clear preference for redoing a positional list.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
That's interesting...qpq was a mod here and seemed pretty invested. I know that he and I had some really different perspectives on things, especially goalies, but I thought our conversations were always productive and light...didn't seem like a guy who would rage quit over a discussion.

Big Phil seemed like another mild mannered guy. Like, a guy you'd talk to at a bar about hockey in the 70's or whatever...

I got the sense that TDMM probably lives a subway ride away from me...maybe I can put a little scare into him *cracks knuckles* - the only thing I need to know is where he lives and what he looks like and approximate height/weight so I can estimate if I can run away from him fast enough without kicking my ass kicked, and we're all set...
He's an avid hiker, so even if you win the initial race you still have to worry about him catching up to you through sheer endurance.

DitchMarner

TheGlitchintheSwitch
Jul 21, 2017
Brampton, ON
Oh my God!!! Just read that Hull thread that contains the final posts from Big Phil. So intriguing and entertaining!!!

Back when I used to just browse, he was one of my favorite posters to read material from. I definitely thought he was an older guy. He pulled off the act very well! People lie on the internet. Lying about your age isn't the worst thing you can do (on its own). But to concoct a facade and to lead people to believe you witnessed things you didn't or that you had an older, wiser perspective than you had when you did witness them is really shitty. People come here to learn things.

Still, he seems to have a good sense of older players. I think he has at least done his home work. Or maybe he just wrote things he heard from his father. The character was definitely part of what made him stand out on here. I can see why he didn't want to throw away years of work. But he really made himself look foolish in those last few posts. Sometimes it's best to make an admission and own up to what you did. This revelation definitely makes me miss and respect him less.

Nick Hansen

Sep 28, 2017
Really miss that guy.

I miss all the (former) posters named on this page. I've read regularly on here for the better part of fifteen years, and they were definitely some of those I learnt a great deal from. Fake persona or not, I don't think the opinions presented were just made up out of thin air.

I agree with Farkas that the goalie positional list would be most interesting to do again. That's where I think we see the most changes compared to when it was made last time. It's also the position I find to be the hardest to really gauge.

The 2012 list for reference:

I see a lot of things changing there...

Last edited:

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I agree with Farkas that the goalie positional list would be most interesting to do again. That's where I think we see the most changes compared to when it was made last time. It's also the position I find to be the hardest to really gauge.

The 2012 list for reference:

I see a lot of things changing there...
I think there are some recent guys that could move up significantly/move into the list, and I think some of the pre-consolidation guys could move up as well. Also, I think there are some guys on that list that are overrated. I could see some of them moving down.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
I have no idea who did or didn't vote yet. Do we have a good turnout so far?

There are a lot of active participants on this forum who don't generally participate in these projects. It would be great to get some more members to participate.

Especially if we're redoing the positional list - which we probably are. The more voters the better the results I think.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
If we end up not having a big number, I'd consider maybe doing a bit of a different course than our previous projects. I don't know what that exactly is, but maybe a deeper dive into each round because we aren't able to share as much of the workload necessary. Like, if we have 12 people instead of 28, everyone of the 12 has to pull a little more weight to make it a well-researched deal.

I don't know...I don't want to sit around with a solution searching for a problem that I'm not sure we have yet. But especially if this turns into a goalie or even a defensemen project, the evolution of those positions are different - the understanding is different - than it was for forwards...

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I have no idea who did or didn't vote yet. Do we have a good turnout so far?

There are a lot of active participants on this forum who don't generally participate in these projects. It would be great to get some more members to participate.

Especially if we're redoing the positional list - which we probably are. The more voters the better the results I think.
Based on what seventies told me when I checked in with him and then people who have said that they've voted since, I know of at least eleven. We'd have to let seventies weigh in to know for sure though.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
If we end up not having a big number, I'd consider maybe doing a bit of a different course than our previous projects. I don't know what that exactly is, but maybe a deeper dive into each round because we aren't able to share as much of the workload necessary. Like, if we have 12 people instead of 28, everyone of the 12 has to pull a little more weight to make it a well-researched deal.

I don't know...I don't want to sit around with a solution searching for a problem that I'm not sure we have yet. But especially if this turns into a goalie or even a defensemen project, the evolution of those positions are different - the understanding is different - than it was for forwards...
If it's goalies we do, I'd really love to see a comprehensive study on the quality of goals given up in the playoffs by modern goalies who might come up for voting. Say maybe Luongo onwards, as we should have video of close to every playoff game after the lockout.

I drafted Mitch Korn in this year's ATD, and when putting together a brief bio on him, this passage really stuck with me:

Korn keeps his own stats, ones that he believes are valuable to the evaluation of a goalie’s effectiveness. Mostly because he doesn’t trust the ones generally accepted as a way to judge a goalie.

“If Steven Stamkos shoots the puck from there, and Tie Domi shoots from the same spot, doesn’t that make a difference?” he asked.

“Did the goal come from a pass? Was there a guy at the back door we had to worry about? How many seconds did the shooter have?”

He won’t reveal the specifics on what he measures, but the broad strokes are interesting. “I don’t evaluate you on the saves you make, but on the goals you give up,” he said. “If we can eliminate what some would refer to as ‘bad goals,’ what else do you want from him?

“Should have had, could have had and pretty much no chance. If we can diminish the shouldas, and lessen our couldas…”

I think it's very doable to put together a tally of each modern goalie's 'shouldas', 'couldas', and 'no chance' goals in the postseason with a bit of extra time and elbow grease, and that would be very illuminating. Of course, my heart is in the early days, so I imagine I'd take a dive into the old newspapers and spend a few months there instead...

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate in the next project (whatever it ends up being). Between work and some travel plans, the next five months are going to be very busy. (I'm sure I'll still stop by and comment, but I don't think I can commit to being a voting participant). Should I send in my votes anyway?

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
I'm not sure if I'll be able to participate in the next project (whatever it ends up being). Between work and some travel plans, the next five months are going to be very busy. (I'm sure I'll still stop by and comment, but I don't think I can commit to being a voting participant). Should I send in my votes anyway?
I'll send you my ballot, and you can send a copy of it in. Lol

Staniowski

Jan 13, 2018
The Maritimes
If it's goalies we do, I'd really love to see a comprehensive study on the quality of goals given up in the playoffs by modern goalies who might come up for voting. Say maybe Luongo onwards, as we should have video of close to every playoff game after the lockout.

I drafted Mitch Korn in this year's ATD, and when putting together a brief bio on him, this passage really stuck with me:

I think it's very doable to put together a tally of each modern goalie's 'shouldas', 'couldas', and 'no chance' goals in the postseason with a bit of extra time and elbow grease, and that would be very illuminating. Of course, my heart is in the early days, so I imagine I'd take a dive into the old newspapers and spend a few months there instead...
There's nothing groundbreaking about what Mitch Korn is saying about evaluating goaltenders. All smart hockey people have always thought the same.

Korn is basically just saying Save Percentage sucks, and he's correct.

The example of Stamkos vs Domi is good; he's saying if the two of them shoot from the same spot (same situation), it might be a great scoring chance for Stamkos, and not a scoring chance at all for Domi. There are hundreds of other examples in demonstrating similar issues with Save Percentage.

Re: a formula or measurement of what he does, it would be very difficult. It takes watching and smarts.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

There's a lot of value in having very rational and objective voters - who take the time to read everything posted - even if they can't contribute a ton of content or research.

Personally - I think you should send in a vote, and I also hope you'd participate in a project, even if most of what you do is just vote each round.

In the top 100 project we had close to 30 voters, and many didn't post much, but the high # of votes made the results stronger in the end.

ChiTownPhilly

Not Too Soft
Feb 23, 2010
AnyWorld/I'mWelcomeTo
Project time!
Also... re-quotation time(!)
I'd be most interested in a Hall of Fame project... and would be highly motivated if it were to take the shape of something like---

Top (n) [n being 20, or two-dozen, or 25] Hall of Fame eligible individuals not in the Hockey Hall of Fame, but most worthy of induction.

To begin with, there are at least a dozen- but probably more like 15+ non-inducted male players that are superior to the (")average(") male Hall-of-Fame player-- and would raise the level of the Hall of Fame immediately upon their induction. However, the issue doesn't end there.

Enough female players have been inducted into the Hall of Fame for us to work out a rough current baseline for women competitors. Are there any women who are above that line, or at least close enough to merit immediate consideration? That could be a beneficial conversation.

Then, there's the matter of European coach/builder types like Chernyshev and Kostka/Pitner. Worth considering, no? Finally, there are the players who might not appear on many top 200 lists- yet still merit discussion as potentially deserving pioneers, like Zábrodský and Bobrov.
Something that might have value outside the cyber-gates of the HF community, I think--

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
Did we have a cut-off date set for voting? I know that a week was suggested, but I don't remember anything more than seeing a recommendation.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Not to be the guy that quotes himself, but last week I suggested a deadline of Friday, 9 August-
Since it sounds like we have the procedure down- let’s give it a week (through next Friday, 9 August) for people to get their votes in. We’ll hold the second vote over the next week, give a couple weeks for sign-ups, a couple weeks for list formation/research/initial discussion, and look to start in September.

Sound good to people?
I don't believe anybody commented on it at the time, but I stand by this. We've had over a week to discuss potential projects. Let's avoid what happened last year and keep moving forward.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad