Project time!

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Let's summarize what we have.

- redo a positional list
- top all-time 100 or 200 again
- women's list
- coaches
- subset lists (defensive forwards, goal scoring, etc)
- best peak, prime, season, etc
- fill in awards and Allstars for old seasons

What else should be added to the ballot?

I think something that really hurt us the last time we tried getting something off the ground is people saying "well if project _______ wins - I won't participate because it doesn't interest me as much". Too many conditions like that,.

And I would understand that mindset for more difficult rankings like Coaches or Womens - but if an easier project won, such as Top Goal Scorers, or Top Peaks, or Top Positionals - it would be great to still get a majority of participants.

Also - I don't think you need to add anything else, it's too many options already.

How would the voting work? Do I vote for all of the ones I'd want? Do I vote in order of preference? Need to clarify voting conditions.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
How would the voting work? Do I vote for all of the ones I'd want? Do I vote in order of preference? Need to clarify voting conditions.
The way I understand it is that you’d rank them in your PM. Once we have a winning category, we’d hold another vote (if necessary) to determine what specific project it would be.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
I think something that really hurt us the last time we tried getting something off the ground is people saying "well if project _______ wins - I won't participate because it doesn't interest me as much". Too many conditions like that,.

And I would understand that mindset for more difficult rankings like Coaches or Womens - but if an easier project won, such as Top Goal Scorers, or Top Peaks, or Top Positionals - it would be great to still get a majority of participants.

Also - I don't think you need to add anything else, it's too many options already.

If anyone simply won't work on a certain project, that's their decision, and they can help influence the process by voting that project last on their list.

Yes, you should vote for every single option, 1 to 10 (added three more that we're discussed last year)

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
- builders
- teams
- add to existing top 200 (make it 300?)
- hall of fame

That would be a good square 10 options. Or maybe 11. (The top 200-300 could be considered a subtopic)

I like more options as it increases the likelihood that options that one hates are unlikely to win. (Increases the impact of a low vote).

We'll end up with whatever people like the most and/or hate the least.

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Since it sounds like we have the procedure down- let’s give it a week (through next Friday, 9 August) for people to get their votes in. We’ll hold the second vote over the next week, give a couple weeks for sign-ups, a couple weeks for list formation/research/initial discussion, and look to start in September.

Sound good to people?

- builders
- teams
- add to existing top 200 (make it 300?)
- hall of fame

That would be a good square 10 options. Or maybe 11. (The top 200-300 could be considered a subtopic)

I like more options as it increases the likelihood that options that one hates are unlikely to win. (Increases the impact of a low vote).

We'll end up with whatever people like the most and/or hate the least.
Good thoughts. Builders would be a fun one, I’m surprised no one has mentioned that before. Instead of teams might I suggest dynasties? That way we aren’t quibbling over which 70s Habs season gets our vote.

seventieslord

Student Of The Game
Mar 16, 2006
Regina, SK
Since it sounds like we have the procedure down- let’s give it a week (through next Friday, 9 August) for people to get their votes in. We’ll hold the second vote over the next week, give a couple weeks for sign-ups, a couple weeks for list formation/research/initial discussion, and look to start in September.

Sound good to people?

Good thoughts. Builders would be a fun one, I’m surprised no one has mentioned that before. Instead of teams might I suggest dynasties? That way we aren’t quibbling over which 70s Habs season gets our vote.
Teams is a broad topic, if it was to win we'd have to determine exactly what that means.

So, to get everything into one post:

- redo a positional list
- top all-time 100 or 200 again (300?)
- women's list
- coaches
- subset lists (defensive forwards, goal scoring, etc)
- best peak, prime, season, etc
- fill in awards and Allstars for old seasons
- builders
- teams
- hall of fame

Is that correct?
Agree. Should we briefly summarize each idea so that people know what they are voting for and against?

How about Top 500? Or is that too much? If it's too much, I'd like to see the Top 200 expanded to a Top 300.
It's not too much for me. But I'd be surprised if many people would want to go that far.

Professor What

Sep 16, 2020
Gallifrey
- redo a positional list: Probably means taking on all of them. We re-rank and likely expand the list for whatever position we take on. May involve taking on the all-time list as well.
- top all-time 100 or 200 again (300?): Definitely means reranking the top 200, possibly expanding it. Again, may involve taking on the positional lists.
- women's list: New ground. Probably a shorter project since it would be more groundbreaking.
- coaches: New ground. Probably a shorter project based on recommendations I've seen.
- subset lists (defensive forwards, goal scoring, etc): New ground. I'd suspect that doing one will probably lead to others.
- best peak, prime, season, etc: New ground. Again, I'd suspect that it might lead to other projects.
- fill in awards and Allstars for old seasons: New ground. This one might need some explanation. We'd be filling in all-star teams and awards for seasons that they don't exist. Some discussion might be needed. I seem to remember people talking about third all-star teams and redoing "split" seasons (such as including WHA, Eastern European players). Could be an expansion of existing data or a re-do. How involved it would be would be determined by what exactly we decided to do.
- builders: New ground, but I'm not as sure what to say here. Would this be just GMs and owners, or coaches too?
- teams: New ground. Could mean individual teams, dynasties, etc. That would have to be determined.
- hall of fame: New ground: Scrapping the existing HHOF and rebuilding it. Could be a long term project.

So, that's my description. I'm trying to be unbiased in my explanations but also noting when taking on one would likely lead to others. Also if I suspect one would be longer or shorter, I noted that. That could affect the what and when in different ways. Anything anyone would add or change?

Reactions: bobholly39

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Who are we sending votes to?

Full disclosure. I am voting coaches #1. I'm going to throw up my Pete Green bio and ongoing dive on Punch Imlach's to hopefully ease people's worries about there not being enough information to handle a project.

We don't need to go 40+ deep on coaches either. It would be pretty cool, but I do think that's a major undertaking that would require at least a year and multiple volunteers to each research 3-4 coaches before we even got into the discussion portion.

I'd like to see a top 20 list done. 20 isn't a big number and would give us a foundation for a larger project down the line.

We have a lot of great bios already in the ATD subforum. It's not like we're trying to fly blind.

The Green bio moved him from a largely unknown to someone who I'd surely rank top 10 ever (best coach of pre-consolidation era). Imlach has been a wonderful undertaking and I have so much more to add to what I've already posted.

The key with coaches is to come up with a set # of metrics to explore and compare in order to obtain a ranking. Meaning, wins and losses (people always bring this up as being too relied upon) are part of the equation, sure, but context matters. And those counting stats are only part of the pie.

Contemporary praise
Innovation
Strength of rosters
Peak
Longevity
How did team fare before/after coach arrived/left?

There are metrics (above just examples) we can use that don't rely on statistics to help sort out where we think folks should ultimately rank.

I think coaches gives us a chance to really up the ante on research and discussion (this has never been done before) and that is what has been lacking to varying degrees the further we push on in the player field. I'm not against re-doing positional lists or something new in the player department but coaching is such a big part of hockey and I think we're missing the boat in not giving the best ever our attention.

Hockey Outsider

Jan 16, 2005
- redo a positional list: Probably means taking on all of them. We re-rank and likely expand the list for whatever position we take on. May involve taking on the all-time list as well.
- top all-time 100 or 200 again (300?): Definitely means reranking the top 200, possibly expanding it. Again, may involve taking on the positional lists.
- women's list: New ground. Probably a shorter project since it would be more groundbreaking.
- coaches: New ground. Probably a shorter project based on recommendations I've seen.
- subset lists (defensive forwards, goal scoring, etc): New ground. I'd suspect that doing one will probably lead to others.
- best peak, prime, season, etc: New ground. Again, I'd suspect that it might lead to other projects.
- fill in awards and Allstars for old seasons: New ground. This one might need some explanation. We'd be filling in all-star teams and awards for seasons that they don't exist. Some discussion might be needed. I seem to remember people talking about third all-star teams and redoing "split" seasons (such as including WHA, Eastern European players). Could be an expansion of existing data or a re-do. How involved it would be would be determined by what exactly we decided to do.
- builders: New ground, but I'm not as sure what to say here. Would this be just GMs and owners, or coaches too?
- teams: New ground. Could mean individual teams, dynasties, etc. That would have to be determined.
- hall of fame: New ground: Scrapping the existing HHOF and rebuilding it. Could be a long term project.

So, that's my description. I'm trying to be unbiased in my explanations but also noting when taking on one would likely lead to others. Also if I suspect one would be longer or shorter, I noted that. That could affect the what and when in different ways. Anything anyone would add or change?
This seems like a fair and reasonable summary of the options.

ImporterExporter

"You're a boring old man"
Jun 18, 2013
Oblivion Express
Top-20 coaches...

That would be new, fresh, actively discussed and not derivatively stat based 'analytics'.

I am all here for it. Numbers, specific games, player-coach chemistry & tifs, philosophy, level of opposition, epic moments, foundational skills, etc.

Let's do this.

The bolded is precisely why I want/hope people will come around to the idea. Any player list we do is going to rehash players we've already ranked, in some fashion. Again, I'm not saying there isn't tangible reasons for examining a different angle w/regards to players, it just doesn't excite me the way coaching would.

It's completely new. We have a lot of great information already and would have reason to gather more, especially non statistical analysis. If people REALLY want more discussion and renewed energy, coaching is a blank slate.

Player studies are going to be largely centered on numbers and that bores me to be honest.

Reactions: VanIslander

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
How about Top 500? Or is that too much? If it's too much, I'd like to see the Top 200 expanded to a Top 300.

It's really hard to differentiate between players past a certain point. That's why I don't want to do 300 - and 500 sounds like a nightmare. Even the top 200 became very difficult near the end.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013

Thanks for summarizing. I'll give my opinion on these options.

1. Peak. This is by far my favorite. I think there are two mains reasons why I like it.

First - we've never done this. I know a lot of you are probably groaning at the thought of Lemieux vs Gretzky discussions for the millionth time and that's fine....what I'm more interrested in is...where does Joe Sakic rank? or Steve Yzerman? Or Paul Coffey? We always rank careers and have a fairly good idea where most players rank career-wise. Ranking by peak - at the very best - would be a completely different ranking and it would be great to see who ends up where. A lot of fun and a lot of value to it.

Second - whenever we redo top 100 or positional lists, having a top "peak" list to reference is very valuable. That's why I was a big supporter of playoff project - same idea. Peak - or playoffs - are a very important subset of career, and so it would be a great tool to help us rank players overall in future.

How do we do a peak project? Two options in my mind:

Option 1 - let's keep it simple, best single peak regular season (only one season per player). To me it's less important to call out the specific season - so if one voter prefers Gretzky 84 and one prefers Gretzky 82 - use whatever you feel is his best season when voting. So at the end - we'd have Gretzky #1 - but not necessarily Gretzky 82 #1. If the majority insist on having specific seasons called out (that came up in prior discussions) - fine, we could just pick each player's best season in the preliminary round by popular vote in some way. So going into project - we'd know it's Gretzky 84 and Lemieux 89 or what not.

Option 2 - my preference. Let's agree on a range of what peak can be - and go for more than 1 season. I'm thinking something like minimum: 2 full seasons + 1 playoffs - maximum 5 full seasons + 3 playoffs + 2 partial seasons.....or something like that. So guys like Gretzky/Orr who have qty benefit, vs someone like Fedorov with only one truly great season, benefit a bit less. So 2-5 seasons, 1-3 playoffs, up to 2 partial seasons. Obviously - the final range would have to be agreed upon, this is just a suggestion.

I don't like the idea of doing prime. I believe prime is too close to our top 100 already. Prime is by far the biggest subset of career - so it doesn't really change much to rankings when you rank prime vs career. Peak changes a lot though.

2. Positional rankings. I struggled a lot with the top 100 and 200 ranking different positions against one another - never participated in a positional ranking before. It feels so much easier - and I'm looking forward to it. It's a lot of work and there probably won't be a ton of change from the initial lists - but still, would be a great thing to refresh the lists and expand on them.

3. Top goal-scorers. I think this idea is a lot of "fun" so I would enjoy it - but unlike Peaks or Playoffs - I think this project has 0 real value. Peak or Playoffs are a subset of careers - so useful to reference when ranking top players. Top goal-scroers (or playmakers, etc) isn't a subset of career - it's a subset of either peak, or playoffs, or prime...so a subset of a subset. A bit less valuable.

4. Teams. My biggest issue with this one is I think it's completely impossible. So many red flags. I'll list two very obvious ones.

First - Islanders dynasty. Are all 4 years eligible, or only one? If all 4 years, how do you tell them apart? If only one - how do you pick, for them and other dynasties, which year?

Second - Pittsburgh 1993 (or Tampa 2019, or Boston 2023, etc). One of the greatest teams of all-time, but who disappointed majorly in playoffs. So.....do they rank high, or low? Do we rank based on how good the team was on paper, or how good they did in playoffs - or in regular season only? Too many criteria to choose from makes it impossible.

Worthwhile ideas but I wouldn't participate:

Womens, Coaches, Builders, Defensive Forwards....too hard to do. If other people pick a topic like that to get off the ground - I think it would be great, but I expect participation would be quite low.

Projects I don't like:

1. Hall of Fame. I think it's redundant and completely useless. Most of the hall of fame is fine...and I still say this could be completed in one week, by voting players in who are out, and out who are in but don't belong. We'd even get 90% consensus most likely.

2. Redo top 100 or 200. If this wins I'll participate, I just think it makes more sense to redo positional lists first. There wouldn't be much movement on this one.

3. Fill in awards and all-stars for old season. To be honest I just don't really understand this one. Lots of ways this could go....are we only re-doing early years? Are we only awarding tropies that didn't exist (ie Smythe for playoffs before the award was created). Are we re-doing close recent races like the 2018 hart? All-star nods only? Probably needs a bit of a clearer description.

Dr John Carlson

Dec 21, 2011
Nova Scotia
Just sent my ranked choices to @seventieslord
Same... pragmatically speaking, I think the positional lists are the best choice, but I really like the idea of builders as well as retro all-stars. There's still lots to uncover from the pre-NHL days.

I'm concerned that the teams/coaches ideas would be a lot like the playoffs lists - skewed toward O6 IMO.

The logistics of the HOF idea seem difficult. I don't see a proper way to make it happen without it taking close to a year, or longer.

I also don't see the use in another top-100 or top-200 redux without doing the positional lists first.

Reactions: rmartin65

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.youtube.com
Boys, I'm gearing up for a new goalie list...I'm puttin' the foil on...

Here's why I'd redo the goalie list...

- That's probably our worst list.
- There's a lot more video out there now, where we can really dig in on the evolution of the position
- There are a number of new players that already belong on that list (and some that should easily fall off)
- The position is bite-sized. There's only so many relevant guys in the league at any one time, so we can really dig in and examine each one and compare to the tier below them contemporaneously
- We may learn more about the impact of goaltending on various and various eras and it may cause huge shifts in our next top X project (overall)
- The canonized "top 7" or whatever is the most ripe for upheaval out of all the canonized elite classes...

rmartin65

Apr 7, 2011
Same... pragmatically speaking, I think the positional lists are the best choice, but I really like the idea of builders as well as retro all-stars. There's still lots to uncover from the pre-NHL days.
Positional lists was top for me too. I think it is the perfect combination of likely participation levels and relevant discussion. And I like the idea of builders as well- better than coaches, even if they are similar.

I'm low on retro-all stars this time around, particularly because there is so much to uncover. I worry that we'd be too hyper-focused on the leagues that we started to get into with the pre-consolidation project and ignore the very real talent that was available in other leagues of that time period. I'm making my way through the WPHL/IPHL and Manitoba leagues (through 1909) right now, and I think that there are some players who are definitely worth discussing that I fear we won't with the current level of communal knowledge right now.

I'm concerned that the teams/coaches ideas would be a lot like the playoffs lists - skewed toward O6 IMO.
Yeah, I think teams would have to be looked at as dynasties to make it a project worth doing.

I share the concern about coaches.

The logistics of the HOF idea seem difficult. I don't see a proper way to make it happen without it taking close to a year, or longer.
Yep. And the pre-consolidation all-star teams/awards should come before the HoF, in my opinion.

I also don't see the use in another top-100 or top-200 redux without doing the positional lists first.
100% agree. It is also still such a recent list, in comparison with the other options.

Reactions: jigglysquishy

Ad

Upcoming events

• Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Cyprus vs Kosovo
    Wagers: 2
    Staked: $729.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • France vs Belgium
    France vs Belgium
    Wagers: 2