Post-Game Talk: Primo goaltending - Habs beat Devils 4-2

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
One guy I really like tonight and also yesterday at the scrimmage is Phil Varone, you can see why he played over 40 games in the NHL last year. He could be a callup in case of injuries and he would probably do better then Chaput or Deslauriers.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Sure, but Primeau is way younger than they both were. Primeau is 20, Condon was 25. Lindgren was 24.

Primeau has a natural positioning for his age, like Price had. Sure, he looks shaky but the basics of a good goaltender are already there.

I'm not saying he'll be as great as Price though.

I just kept my examples limited to the habs. On the extreme side, there's markstrom who just recently started looking like a good #1 goalie

All I'm saying is that at some point, Primeau is going to face his own adversity, as all goalies do, and that's when you learn about these guys. We should all be optimistic about Primeau, but also keep in mind how quickly things can change at this position.

Reactions: L4br3cqu3

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Goaltending is a funny position. Primeau comes in with some hype, but it takes a while to see a goalie's true colours.

Condon looked very good in preseason, and he carried it into the regular season, until price went down. Then he fell off the rails, and never looked as good again.

Lindgren has looked promising before too, but his stock has been dropping.

Even Price himself was mired in a goaltending controversy, after an awful 2nd half to 08/09, and a poor 09/10.

So I'm reserving judgement on primeau for quite a while in terms of what we might have in him.

The trend seems to have changed in recent years with very young tenders stepping in immediately and winning as a number one at the highest levels Penguins twice Blues once. I can't totally agree with your assessment.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I’m impressed with Nick Cousins ...

244dkew.gif

EveryDay

Jun 13, 2009
To me all three were pretty meh at best. Drouin being a distant 3rd with one or two decent flashes in the 3rd permis.

Lehkonen was still the best with his goal and his PK time. Drouin was the worst I agree with this and Domi still took 2 stupid penalty that was not really worth it.

The WTF moment for tonight's game for me: the 2nd PP waves.... Domi with??????? Barber and Varone???????????????????? WTF?

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
hahahahaha
Got caught out editing a post in the GDT not realizing it was going to close. It's preseason for everyone.

Same thing happened to me so I just reposted the Chris Crocker gif I had intended for the GDT.

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
The trend seems to have changed in recent years with very young tenders stepping in immediately and winning as a number one at the highest levels Penguins twice Blues once. I can't totally agree with your assessment.
In fairness Binnington was drafted in 2011 and finally got a look at age 26

Reactions: Aldo Montoya

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
CJ talking about Lehkonen having a good game. But the other two guys on that line were just okay. :laugh:

Love the honesty.

He normally protects all of his players. I guess it's preseason for him too.

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I'm talking from the lens of perennial #1 goalies. I know goalies at this level are capable of going on deep runs immediately. But does that really show their true colours, or represent how their career will go? One could say that Cam Ward peaked in 1st season.

Murray has been inconsistent, and I imagine things wont come as easy to binnington this season either. We still haven't seen enough of binngton to know how he adjusts, and responds when he goes on an extended slump.

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
It's been two years since he's been here, and now about to start Year 3, and I've been asking this since he's been here and no one's answered me. Why is Drouin the only one who sits when he has his scrum?

CheldishGamibno

Turtles & Refrigerators
Aug 19, 2006
Mute City
I just kept my examples limited to the habs. On the extreme side, there's markstrom who just recently started looking like a good #1 goalie

All I'm saying is that at some point, Primeau is going to face his own adversity, as all goalies do, and that's when you learn about these guys. We should all be optimistic about Primeau, but also keep in mind how quickly things can change at this position.
Of course your point is valid too, and I agree.

I just think Primeau is legit, having followed him for the last 2 years. His development curve is impressive to say the least. Impressed by Fleury's curve also.

Reactions: JianYang

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
It's been two years since he's been here, and now about to start Year 3, and I've been asking this since he's been here and no one's answered me. Why is Drouin the only one who sits when he has his scrum?

There isn't a rule on that
I know Shaw often sat while doing his interviews as well

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

Le petit prince a ses passes-droits.

MSLs absurd thighs

Formerly Tough Au Lit
Feb 4, 2013
Carbo is the wisest on that panel!!!!

I would try KK at center with Domi and Drouin, EUREKA!

Honestly, if the Habs are hoping to be anything close to relevant this season, they'll have to go with this and stop this Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen nonsense.

I fear Julien is going to be extremely stubborn with Lehkonen. He always likes this kind of guy. From Sundstrom to Axelsson.

Reactions: EveryDay

SakuKoivu11

Jun 29, 2017
If we can move Drouin for that LD partner for Weber we will be in good shape.

Let’s see Poehling next game and see where he’s at. I wouldn’t be surprise if Suzuki and Poehling start the season with the big club.

Drouin-Domi-Lehkonen
Byron-Kotkaniemi-Armia
Tatar-Danault-Gallagher
Cousins-Poehling-Suzuki
Thompson Weal

Mete-Weber
Chariot-Petry
Kulak-Reilly
Juulsen

Price
Kincaid

Waivers: Weise Hudon Frolin Alzner

scrubadam

Apr 10, 2016
Suziki had a good game away from the puck and made some good plays on the PK. Was surprised that CJ used him there.

Reactions: Habs Icing

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad