Prime Messier vs Prime Malkin: Who do you take for a cup run?

Who do you take on your team for a cup run?

• Total voters

SeanMoneyHands

Apr 18, 2019
Who do you take on your team for a cup run?

Messier 6 cups, 1 Conn Smythe
295pts in 236 playoff games

Malkin 3 cups, 1 Conn Smythe
174pts in 170 playoff games

Stats are misleading since Messier was pretty much bulletproof from injuries in the playoffs. If Malkin stayed healthy, no doubt his numbers would be a lot more.

Flying Dego

Apr 30, 2013

Give me this guy. Malkin is a true enigma, he was literally unstoppable during stretches of his career and his Conn Smythe run. When he was fired up and gunning not even Sid was better.

I should also mention Geno did all this with poor wing support vs what Messier was rolling out with 5v5.

Obviously Messier was incredible but Geno was electric and one of the most entertaining players hands down.

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin
Messier only has 1 Conn Smythe, and has never led the playoffs in scoring. Based on his reputation as a monster playoff performer/leader, I was expecting more; especially with 6 Cup wins. But my memory of him is probably a bit inflated due to his legend,
Even the 2 Cups where he was clearly head honcho (without Gretzky) in 90 and 94, the Smythe went to other players.

Gotta go with Malkin here if talking about absolute peak performance.

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Bill Ranford over Messier in 1990 wasn't entirely uncontroversial, as good as he was certainly in the finals.

Bouboumaster

Jul 4, 2014
Messier because he was healthier, his lows are not as lows as Malkin's, and he could also take off heads with his elbows if it came to that

Reactions: Voight

Sasha Orlov

Lord of the Manor
Sponsor
Jun 22, 2018
Malkin is way more skilled, but Messier would probably actually murder someone to win

I’ll go with Malkin because murder is bad

Reactions: UncleOscar

DickSmehlik

Oct 23, 2006
The Empire State
Which era are they playing in?

If it's current, Malkin no question. Messier can't run around cheap shotting and elbowing everyone, that's half his game gone.

Agreed, peak Messier would be unavailable for a good chunk of the time as he'd either be sitting in the box or suspended going by today's standards.

Now if we were going on a cup run pre-2000, I'd take Messier.

Reactions: Gordievsky

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
Which era are they playing in?

If it's current, Malkin no question. Messier can't run around cheap shotting and elbowing everyone, that's half his game gone.
Agreed, peak Messier would be unavailable for a good chunk of the time as he'd either be sitting in the box or suspended going by today's standards.

Now if we were going on a cup run pre-2000, I'd take Messier.

You guys act like Messier wouldn’t adjust his game to just hit guys cleanly instead. It’s not like he has to elbow people, he’s still a big strong dude who can impose himself physically in other ways.

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Messier only has 1 Conn Smythe, and has never led the playoffs in scoring. Based on his reputation as a monster playoff performer/leader, I was expecting more; especially with 6 Cup wins. But my memory of him is probably a bit inflated due to his legend,
Even the 2 Cups where he was clearly head honcho (without Gretzky) in 90 and 94, the Smythe went to other players.

Gotta go with Malkin here if talking about absolute peak performance.

Chance are good that no one in history would have outscored Gretzky in 4 of those.

In is 2 non Gretzky cup, he was tie with 31 points in 22 games in 1990 (Simpsons winning with the most goals tie breaker) and in 1994 he was second with 30 points in 23 games behind one of the best playoff run of all time in Leetch.

Run like 34 points loosing to Gretzky 43 points is the equivalent of leading the playoff in some other years.

Healthy prime Malkin is hard to pass on.

Reactions: Voight

MadLuke

Jan 18, 2011
Stats are misleading since Messier was pretty much bulletproof from injuries in the playoffs.

Malkin played 170 of the pens 183 playoff games during is career, that a 76 games by 82 type of rate. In the regular season in comparison he played 940 of the 1,182 games a 65 games rate, which could indicate that he play in the playoff injuried (or had the chance to not have too rush return because is team made the playoff without him), all that to said that in the playoff Crosby-Malkin did tend to miss little time career wise after all.

Messier did play 100% of the Oilers game it is a difference, but not that big and really not misleading I would say.

Malkin was second in playoff ppg in is first 13 season, Messier was 4th not far from the non Gretzky top spot.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
You guys act like Messier wouldn’t adjust his game to just hit guys cleanly instead. It’s not like he has to elbow people, he’s still a big strong dude who can impose himself physically in other ways.

This is true, and I think talk of constant suspensions is a bit much, but I do think the current league limits the impact of someone like Messier’s physicality a bit. He could still wear down teams over time, but I don’t think he would have the same intimidation factor, and some of the dirtier plays he used to get away with would do more to limit other players physically than he could today.

Reactions: Gordievsky

Hanji

Oct 14, 2009
Wisconsin

Messier wasn't like that though.
Sure he was a strong guy who could drop the mitts, but he wasn't some physical stalwart who could impose himself on other players at will.

His reputation as a physical player came from his elbows, charges, etc. He was a predatory player who exerted his influence usually only when he had an advantage.

Interestingly, he rarely had to answer for his actions either; and not because he was some great fighter (he was actually an average fighter) but moreso because he would do anything to anybody to win. Legal or not. I think players were afraid of him. He was crazy.

Last edited:
Reactions: cupface52 and Regal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad