Prime: Erik Karlsson vs. Drew Doughty

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Who was/is the better player in their prime?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

swiftwin

★SUMMER.OF.STEVE★
Jul 26, 2005
Depends what you consider "prime".

At absolute peaks (ie. 2-3 month timeframes), it's Karlsson AINEC. Karlsson circa 2013 pre-Cooke, and in the 2017 playoffs, Karlsson was the best player in the world.

If we're talking about bigger timeframes, it's still Karlsson, but it's much closer.

TGWL

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 28, 2011
I really hate to think what Karlsson could have been if Matt Cooke didn't injure him badly

He still was great in his prime but what he was showing before that injury was another level.
and if he took offseason training serious. So gifted but basically has the old day mentality of training camp being the leagues gift of getting in game shape. but yeah, that injury was nasty.

If the only argument is "Doughty is a better overall player", I can't take those voting for Doughty serious.

Reactions: Bileur

The Nuge

Some say…
Jan 26, 2011
British Columbia
This boils down to if you think the ~20 point gap between the 2 of them is worth the massive drop in defensive ability going from Doughty to Karlsson. If I’m trying to win a championship, give me Doughty every day. If I’m just trying to sell tickets, give me Karlsson

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
"Prime Karlsson" is right up there with sea level Cain in mythology haha.

I always thought Doughty was better, what he brought defensively and elsewhere was worth more than an extra 15-20 points. Ice just tilted when he was the ice. With EK I'd alternate between being wow'd and "well that was stupid". Not what I want from a defender.

Unless his prime is like 20 games from the one playoff run, I'd go Doughty

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I remember the hours on hours on hours I spent arguing with Doughty fans/Karlsson/Sens haters that Karlsson was definitely superior. I was laughed at heavily when I said Karlsson the creme de la creme of position with his role and impact that will be resonated with new wave of defenders to be likened to him. It's quite amazing how during the time, many polls leaned Doughty but now, in hindsight, and with no bias against Ottawa and the like, he's unquestionable the correct answer.

I feel vindicated.

Reactions: BradyTkachucky

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Karlsson wins ticket sales. Doughty wins championships.

Olympics 2014.

Playoffs 2017.

Karlsson can carry a team better than any, and he made bottom feeding Ottawa relevant for years when they had no business.

Doughty played on a powerhouse. The moment Karlsson did, his team made finals in his first season there.

Foolish and weak viewpoint. Teams win championships.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Olympics 2014.

Playoffs 2017.

Karlsson can carry a team better than any, and he made bottom feeding Ottawa relevant for years when they had no business.

Doughty played on a powerhouse. The moment Karlsson did, his team made finals in his first season there.

When was the last time a pure offensive defensemen has lead his team to a cup? I can name tons of 2-way defensemen who have in the past 12 years...Hedman x2, Keith x3, Doughty x2, Pietrangelo x1, and Chara x1.

Frolov 6'3

Unregistered User
Jun 7, 2003
The Netherlands
When was the last time a pure offensive defensemen has lead his team to a cup? I can name tons of 2-way defensemen who have in the past 12 years...Hedman x2, Keith x3, Doughty x2, Pietrangelo x1, and Chara x1.
Pretty much.

Essentially he is right, without other good players you will not win much but he is forgetting Doughty was on the ice for half of the game for a reason…

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
The problem Karlsson has had in Ottawa is that too many key players had too many injuries, including him and Methot. The other problem was the limited budget to bring in more depth and fix roster holes as well as the cheap inexperienced coaching staff.

Pretty hard to win championships in these conditions

I remember the hours on hours on hours I spent arguing with Doughty fans/Karlsson/Sens haters that Karlsson was definitely superior. I was laughed at heavily when I said Karlsson the creme de la creme of position with his role and impact that will be resonated with new wave of defenders to be likened to him. It's quite amazing how during the time, many polls leaned Doughty but now, in hindsight, and with no bias against Ottawa and the like, he's unquestionable the correct answer.

I feel vindicated.

The dirty money I made with Erik Karlsson rookie cards on Ebay made me vindicated

Reactions: ReginKarlssonLehner

SpezDispenser

Aug 15, 2007
Very few players came close to prime Karlsson and Doughty sure as shit wasn't one of them.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018

I feel vindicated.

How ironic that no doubt you among your beleaguered EK brethren always argued how well EK would do only if he had a real team to play for then goes to the Sharks and has been in the shadow of Brent Burns the whole time.

But go right on feeling "vindicated."

JackSlater

Apr 27, 2010
I'd say that this is clearly Karlsson. Also a rare case where both players tend to be underrated.

Voight

#winning
Feb 8, 2012
Mulberry Street
Olympics 2014.

Playoffs 2017.

Look at Doughty in the 2014 playoffs... or either of the Olympics he played in. He made the 2010 squad as a sophomore, thats not an easy task.

Karlsson can maybe carry a team on the score sheet (not too hard when they are feeding you the puck constantly) but good luck winning the big one with a guy who isnt very good defensively.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks

Sweetpotato

Jan 10, 2014
Edmonton
You can count on 1 hand the number of dmen who had the on ice impact Karlsson had in his peak. Other than Pronger and Orr, off the top of my head, i can't think of a dman that dragged a team kicking and screaming to a cup final like Karlsson did.

Doughty was a stud, love his game and would kill to have him even now in Edmonton, but this is EK.

biturbo19

Jul 13, 2010
Karlsson had a pretty magical absolute "peak". But on the whole, over their respective "primes"...i'd still take Doughty. He was an absolute stud in every single aspect of the game. Not just a guy who was so good offensively that he could wash out anything else.

Reactions: WillardJFredricks
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad