GDT: Press Conference Introducing Alex Meruelo as Coyotes Owner, 1pm, @GRA

rt

The Kinder, Gentler Version
May 13, 2004
A Rockwellian Pleasantville
Listening to the three goobers on the Natty Hatty liquefying their brains, straining to invent an inroad to hockey ops for ex players like Doan is killing me. Look at Steve Sullivan. The other yah has already been laid for Doan. The perfect path.

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I also like the visual of when teams checker the sections. For example the Jazz have done it the last few playoffs.
27235872.jpg

JWZISYMR6REC7LMZ4LLZU45XMQ.jpg

Checker the stadium with red, white and black. Could look pretty cool

Haha that’s actually not too bad...I could go with the tri-color thing if they did it right

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
Haha that’s actually not too bad...I could go with the tri-color thing if they did it right

If and when we get a new arena, I would love to see the purple crescent moon logo come back in a big way. So picture we score a goal right...the place goes dark, the coyote howl goes off, and there’s a giant illuminated crescent moon display and that’s all you see. I’m taking like a huge man made actual display, not an on screen one. The BJ’s have their cannon and other teams have props and stuff like that. I think it would be sweet!

XX

Waiting for Ishbia
Dec 10, 2002
PHX
If and when we get a new arena, I would love to see the purple crescent moon logo come back in a big way. So picture we score a goal right...the place goes dark, the coyote howl goes off, and there’s a giant illuminated crescent moon display and that’s all you see. I’m taking like a huge man made actual display, not an on screen one. The BJ’s have their cannon and other teams have props and stuff like that. I think it would be sweet!

I don't think they're allowed to turn the lights off like that during gametime. They do need a better after goal tradition than just the howl. St Louis has the bell, Islanders have the yes chant. That sort of thing. Get the crowd into it and build an idenity.

I've always thought that, at the start of the game, they should turn out the lights and have a Coyote (a real one) on the jumbotron howling and encouraging the crowd to howl in the dark. They came close to this idea with the eyes on the phone, sorta.

If you've ever lived somewhere near open land, Coyotes make a super distinct pack noise when hunting/the get a kill:

Something that mimics that in a neat way would be great IMO

Reactions: RemoAZ

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
What I’d like to see implemented is when the team is on a PK the fans start howling every time the puck enters our zone.

I’m sure they could have the LED ribbons say “Howl” with some sponsorship going

rt

May 13, 2004
Listening to the three goobers on the Natty Hatty liquefying their brains, straining to invent an inroad to hockey ops for ex players like Doan is killing me. Look at Steve Sullivan. The other yah has already been laid for Doan. The perfect path.
I’m literally shouting in my car. So frustrating. Like they just can’t fathom how a recently retired player gets into hockey ops without jumping directly to GM. Simply look at our teams hockey ops dept. There’s Shane Doan’s feeling teammate Steve Sullivan right effing there.

Reactions: The Feckless Puck

Foggy1097

Jan 14, 2014
Arizona
I don't think they're allowed to turn the lights off like that during gametime. They do need a better after goal tradition than just the howl. St Louis has the bell, Islanders have the yes chant. That sort of thing. Get the crowd into it and build an idenity.

I've always thought that, at the start of the game, they should turn out the lights and have a Coyote (a real one) on the jumbotron howling and encouraging the crowd to howl in the dark. They came close to this idea with the eyes on the phone, sorta.

If you've ever lived somewhere near open land, Coyotes make a super distinct pack noise when hunting/the get a kill:

Something that mimics that in a neat way would be great IMO

Yeah good point about turning the lights out too much...I could see someone toe picking and getting injured or something. But yeah I just feel like they don’t utilize that moon logo near enough. Especially if we go back to the Kachinas full time, they need to make that way more prominent in the arena and in merch...

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City

If you've ever lived somewhere near open land, Coyotes make a super distinct pack noise when hunting...

Yeah, I've thought that many times, too, that the real thing is wayyy more goose bump inducing than the fake howl we play. When I lived in Ahwatukee, I was the first house occupied in a new neighborhood, I had this cat, and the look on my cat's face the first time he heard that noise was priceless.

The Feckless Puck

Registered Loser
Sponsor
Oct 26, 2006

Yeah, I listened to that and couldn't figure out how they were so obviously missing the Player Development angle. He's the perfect player nurturer and as long as he's not the GM of the Roadrunners or something where he'd have to cut players, he'd be great.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH
Craig Morgan has another piece in The Athletic this morning interviewing Jeff Vinik the owner of Tampa Bay about his thoughts on Alex Meruelo.

A few interesting comments from Vinik.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Craig Morgan has another piece in The Athletic this morning interviewing Jeff Vinik the owner of Tampa Bay about his thoughts on Alex Meruelo.

A few interesting comments from Vinik.

Blueprint for success. The arena and wins are the only thing missing.

rt

May 13, 2004
Can anyone cliff notes the words from Vinik? I don't have a subscription nor have any plans in having one.
Phoenix and Tampa have a lot in common. Vinik and the NHL have always believed in the Phoenix market. He identified with Meruelo and thinks they share similar “DNA”. He believes Meruelo has the chops to make the Coyotes a success in the way that he himself has made Tampa a success.

You should get a subscription. It’s worth it. It’s also almost always heavily “discounted”. Sign up with your old ASU email address for 50% off and then go into your account information page and change it to your primary email later.

Imaravencawcaw

Jul 19, 2018
Can anyone cliff notes the words from Vinik? I don't have a subscription nor have any plans in having one.
I think the biggest idea from Vinik was that he wanted and wants everything they do to have the community in mind so they can build a brand and a relationship with the city. I thought that was good to hear because every time I've heard Aaron Cohen speak in public since he's been CEO he's mentioned that one of the organization's goals is to positively impact the community.

Reactions: Jakey53

Dirty Old Man

So funny I forgot to laugh
Sponsor
Jan 29, 2008
Ostrich City
Phoenix and Tampa have a lot in common.

Nice to have one's opinion validated by someone who "matters". One of my oft repeated lines in the megathread was "having lived in central florida and here for 20+ years each, if it can work in Tampa, trust me it can work in Phoenix".

Reactions: Jakey53

cobra427

May 6, 2012
Nice to have one's opinion validated by someone who "matters". One of my oft repeated lines in the megathread was "having lived in central florida and here for 20+ years each, if it can work in Tampa, trust me it can work in Phoenix".

I haven't lived in Florida, good to know. The Suns/D-backs and Cardinals are not very good. The Coyotes have a chance to get the area behind them, with a new owner that is also a minority, if they can win and make the playoffs this year. I can see it happening, a breath of fresh air, finally turning the corner. The new arena will work itself out.

Reactions: johnchayka89

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad