Preseason Top 30 OHL'ers for the 2025 NHL Draft

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
ohlprospects.blogspot.com

It's the end of August and that means a new OHL season is right around the corner. It also means that it's time for me to release my first draft ranking for 2025. To assess these players we've seen them in the OHL (mostly) and for some we've seen them at the U17's and at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup.

Of course, a ton is going to change between now and the actual 2025 draft. A lot will likely change before I make my first in season list in October/November. Here was last year's preseason list, as an example.

I'm really excited about this group. Early on, it looks like a really strong crop. Lots of quality late birthday 2006 players. The 2007 born players looked great at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. Looks like we'll have a couple high end Imports. If I was a betting man, I'd say that the OHL could easily have double digit players in consideration for the first round by season's end.

If you want a piece that goes into a little more depth, with some video, I did a preseason look at the region for McKeen's Hockey (found here).

Here's the list:

1. Porter Martone - Wing - Brampton Steelheads
The 2023/24 season was a very solid one for Martone. He was terrific for Canada internationally, captaining them to U18 gold in April. He took a nice step forward in the OHL with the Steelheads. As such, he's now pretty universally viewed as a top three selection heading into the year. He's the type of player NHL teams have to be drooling over. He models his game after the Tkachuk brothers and it's easy to see why. Given Martone's well rounded skill set and physical intensity, he projects as the kind of guy who could excel in the NHL playoffs; his game is perfectly tailored to success there. I really liked the improvements made to Martone's skating last year. I felt like he got much quicker and it really helped his offensive consistency. I also really love Martone's vision and passing ability, given his tenacity. He can outwork defenders down low and has the playmaking chops to consistently create chances from the turnovers he creates. SO what's next? In order to push James Hagens at the top of the draft, Martone is going to need to become one of the best offensive players in the OHL. He's going to need to challenge for the Eddie Powers. I also want to see the physical intensity/power forward game become even more consistent. I want him to be a pain in the arse to play against every shift. Lastly, team success will play a role here. Most, including myself, are expecting Brampton to be among the best teams in the OHL this year. Can Martone lead the Steelheads to an OHL championship?

2. Matthew Schaefer - Defense - Erie Otters
I can't say enough awesome things about Schaefer. Had the opportunity to interview him a few times in the past when I was doing the THN podcast and he was just such a mature young man. I've heard nothing but amazing things about his character and I think he's got the potential to be an NHL captain down the road. On the ice, Schaefer is such a well rounded player too. It all starts with his skating ability, which based on what I saw at the Hlinka/Gretzky, has managed to improve even more. He's so dynamic in all four directions. It makes him so difficult to contain. He's a breakout machine with how he handles pressure in the defensive end and advances play with his feet. Defensively, his game has already made considerable strides and I think it will continue to do so. He understands how to leverage his mobility to be a defensive asset and now it's about getting stronger to win those one on one battles more consistently. IMO, he's the top defender in this 2025 class and he's proven that with his incredible International play. Now, it's about doing it at the OHL level. If Schaefer can take his offensive play to another level in Erie, he could easily challenge for the top three, along with Martone.

3. Michael Misa - Center/Wing - Saginaw Spirit
Ranking Misa third does feel a little unfair given his talent level, but Martone and Schaefer are just special prospects in their own right. I think everyone knows that Misa is incredibly talented, as a former exceptional status player. His speed and ability to create in transition is impressive. However, I think what a lot of people don't realize is how mature Misa's game is already away from the puck. He's a terrific two-way player who shows really advanced instincts and anticipation as a defensive player. It's one of the reasons why Saginaw was able to have such a strong year, because their forward group buys into being competitive in all three zones. That said, I'd be lying if I said that I felt Misa had shown us his full offensive potential. He's functioned primarily as a complementary piece in Saginaw thus far. Will this be the year where we see him take over games the way that he's capable of; can he drive play consistently and dominate touches? The shot is elite, will he look to shoot more and get between the dots more to use it? Will his decision making and strength on the puck improve, allowing him to really take control of time of possession, utilizing his quickness the way that he should be able to? Is he a center or a wing long term? Lots of questions. This year should provide some answers. Tons to like, even with those questions.

4. Malcolm Spence - Wing - Erie Otters
Spence is such an intriguing player because of his athleticism and safe NHL floor. He's such an explosive straight line skater. He can use it to impact the game in a variety of different ways. He gets after it on the forecheck. He closes quickly along the wall and can be a defensive asset. He can be very dangerous as a straight line attacker offensively. Combine that with his physicality and you get a very versatile player who can be utilized in almost every situation. We've seen that Internationally, where Spence has excelled as a two-way force for Canada at the U18 level. I guess my questions revolve around his offensive upside. I've found his decision making with the puck to be very inconsistent as an OHL player thus far. Additionally, his execution as an offensive weapon has been inconsistent. Sometimes he looks skilled, other times, he struggles to coral passes at full speed or maintain possession. The same can be said of his finishing ability. All the pieces are there, but the puzzle is far from complete. If Spence can really take over games this season the way that he's capable of, we could be looking at a potential top 7-8 selection. If not, I worry that he could fall as an older player over concerns that his development has plateaued.

5. Brady Martin - Center/Wing - Soo Greyhounds
It was great to see Martin perform so well for Canada at the Hlinka/Gretzky in a limited role. I think he really opened some eyes. He was so good in the last few months of last year's OHL season and it seems like he's really found the confidence needed to be an effective player at this level. Martin is a unique player. He's tenacious and physical; his motor never stops. However, he's also incredibly slick and skilled with the puck. He routinely beats defenders one on one and he's very determined to get pucks to the middle of the ice. Martin is also a strong defensive presence, making him the kind of player that you can plug anywhere into your lineup...just as the Canadian coaching staff did at the Hlinka/Gretzky. Even with limited ice time, I'm not sure if you noticed that it was Martin on the ice at the end of the game to protect the lead in the gold medal game. I have absolutely no doubt that he's going to have a terrific year in the Soo. The only negative is the skating. Martin needs to get quicker. His stride is not the most efficient. But, similar to Cole Beaudoin, I think NHL teams could overlook this given Martin's compete level.

6. Jake O'Brien - Center - Brantford Bulldogs
Efficient is the word that I would use to describe O'Brien. That's owing to his terrific IQ; this is a very smart player. He's one of those guys who always seems to be in the right place at the right time in all three zones, and he always seems to make the right play with the puck. His best asset is unquestionably his passing ability. He can really thread the needle. He's extremely dangerous working down low or coming off the wall, part of the reason why he was so effective on the powerplay with Brantford last year. He didn't have the best Hlinka/Gretzky performance and I think it did magnify some of the things that he needs to improve on. O'Brien doesn't ooze athletic tools. He's probably best classified as average as a skater and average physically. He's at his best when he's able to slow the game down and can struggle to play with pace. We saw that last year as an OHL rookie (even despite his Emms Family Award winning year) and we saw it at the Hlinka/Gretzky. O'Brien's efficiency and intelligence will make him coveted; I expect him to have another solid year for Brantford. There's some Robert Thomas here. However, without some improvements, he could end up being more of a second/third round bet, rather than a first.

7. Carson Cameron - Defense - Peterborough Petes
Don't let the fact that Cameron was cut from the Hlinka/Gretzky team fool you, he's a very effective defender. Don't forget that Beckett Sennecke wasn't even INVITED to the Hlinka/Gretzky camp last season and ended up getting drafted third overall. It's not the be all and end all. Right now, Cameron's most effective as a defensive player. He's highly competitive. He's very mobile. He's got great defensive instincts. He's this year's Ben Danford. Offensively, he's a bit of a work in progress and I'd guess that's what got him the axe by HC staff this summer. His exits and breakouts aren't always the cleanest. His decision making with the puck and the quickness of his decisions need to improve. However, he has shown flashes of being a capable puck mover and point producer. A lot of that has to do with his skating ability and his solid point shot. This is an aggressive ranking for a player that I've liked a lot dating back to his Canada Winter Games performance. I think there's a lot to like here and I'm excited to see the progression this year.

8. Kashawn Aitcheson - Defense - Barrie Colts
What a pleasant surprise Aitcheson was last year for Barrie in what was kind of a frustrating year for the franchise. He really stepped up when the team lost Beau Akey and consistently impressed when I saw the Colts play. A true two-way force, Aitcheson is incredibly physical. He has a penchant for the big hit and he really make his presence known and felt on the ice. Offensively, he's a solid presence in the o-zone with how he gets pucks to the net and holds the blueline. He can jump up in the play or lead the rush, but without high end skating ability, I do wonder how effective he'll be doing that at the higher levels. As an older draft eligible, it'll be about finding a way to continue to improve this year, especially offensively. Most importantly, can the four way mobility and quickness improve? Aitcheson's two-way effectiveness and physicality make him a pretty solid bet to be a top 75 pick this year IMO, even this early in the game.

9. Cameron Reid - Defense - Kitchener Rangers
I think what was most impressive about Reid is that he improved every month of his rookie season with the Rangers, finishing the season as a critical component on a team with strong playoff aspirations. He's a strong skater. He makes a good exit pass. He keeps his head on a swivel. He defends pace well with good gap control and an active stick. He has good defensive instincts. There's a lot to like at both ends of the ice. That was fully on display at the recent Hlinka/Gretzky too, where Reid was a fairly solid presence for Team Canada. I've said before that I felt like Reid had higher offensive potential than Matt Schaefer, but I'm not sure I believe that anymore. That doesn't mean that Reid can't be a quality powerplay quarterback too. This year, I'm going to be looking for more activation from him, using his skating ability to be more aggressive offensively at even strength. The only real weakness in his game comes from the need to play with more jam in the defensive end. Last year, he struggled defending the net front and wasn't winning 50/50 battles consistently. Not surprising considering his age. This year, we need to see that improve. If it does, I think Reid is a potential top 50 pick.

10. Luca Romano - Center/Wing - Kitchener Rangers
IMO, the preseason top nine is pretty set. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't have those nine players in some order. That means I considered a ton of different players for this number ten spot (which really means very little this early in the game). I decided to go with Romano because I think that he has the potential to be a really versatile player as he bulks up. The first thing you'll notice about his game is his speed. He's lightning quick. He loves to play at a breakneck pace. However, he's a smart player too. His offensive skill set is pretty well rounded. He does everything pretty well. It's that combination of a well rounded game, high IQ, and the speed element that could make him a very versatile pro. We definitely saw that as an OHL rookie and we saw it recently at the Hlinka/Gretzky. What's missing from his game is strength on the puck and composure under pressure. He's just too easy to separate from the puck right now. That was one of my biggest takeaways at the Hlinka, that it looks like that hadn't improved much. Regardless, he could easily be this year's Jett Luchanko with the right mindset and improvements.

Write ups on the full top 30 at the link, as well as some HM's.

Happy to answer any questions.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
Seems like there is a top 3, then Spence at 4, then a pretty big drop-off after that. But it is early.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
Seems like there is a top 3, then Spence at 4, then a pretty big drop-off after that. But it is early.
I dunno it's looks like a pretty good draft for the OHL for 25.

The OHL is the best CHL team in Canada and often very good prospects don't get to shine for their teams until their actual draft season as much as in the other 2 CHL leagues.

Jett Luchanko is a prime example of that from the past draft.

Hinterland

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 29, 2016

It's the end of August and that means a new OHL season is right around the corner. It also means that it's time for me to release my first draft ranking for 2025. To assess these players we've seen them in the OHL (mostly) and for some we've seen them at the U17's and at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup.

Of course, a ton is going to change between now and the actual 2025 draft. A lot will likely change before I make my first in season list in October/November. Here was last year's preseason list, as an example.

I'm really excited about this group. Early on, it looks like a really strong crop. Lots of quality late birthday 2006 players. The 2007 born players looked great at the Hlinka/Gretzky Cup. Looks like we'll have a couple high end Imports. If I was a betting man, I'd say that the OHL could easily have double digit players in consideration for the first round by season's end.

If you want a piece that goes into a little more depth, with some video, I did a preseason look at the region for McKeen's Hockey (found here).

Here's the list:

1. Porter Martone - Wing - Brampton Steelheads
The 2023/24 season was a very solid one for Martone. He was terrific for Canada internationally, captaining them to U18 gold in April. He took a nice step forward in the OHL with the Steelheads. As such, he's now pretty universally viewed as a top three selection heading into the year. He's the type of player NHL teams have to be drooling over. He models his game after the Tkachuk brothers and it's easy to see why. Given Martone's well rounded skill set and physical intensity, he projects as the kind of guy who could excel in the NHL playoffs; his game is perfectly tailored to success there. I really liked the improvements made to Martone's skating last year. I felt like he got much quicker and it really helped his offensive consistency. I also really love Martone's vision and passing ability, given his tenacity. He can outwork defenders down low and has the playmaking chops to consistently create chances from the turnovers he creates. SO what's next? In order to push James Hagens at the top of the draft, Martone is going to need to become one of the best offensive players in the OHL. He's going to need to challenge for the Eddie Powers. I also want to see the physical intensity/power forward game become even more consistent. I want him to be a pain in the arse to play against every shift. Lastly, team success will play a role here. Most, including myself, are expecting Brampton to be among the best teams in the OHL this year. Can Martone lead the Steelheads to an OHL championship?

2. Matthew Schaefer - Defense - Erie Otters
I can't say enough awesome things about Schaefer. Had the opportunity to interview him a few times in the past when I was doing the THN podcast and he was just such a mature young man. I've heard nothing but amazing things about his character and I think he's got the potential to be an NHL captain down the road. On the ice, Schaefer is such a well rounded player too. It all starts with his skating ability, which based on what I saw at the Hlinka/Gretzky, has managed to improve even more. He's so dynamic in all four directions. It makes him so difficult to contain. He's a breakout machine with how he handles pressure in the defensive end and advances play with his feet. Defensively, his game has already made considerable strides and I think it will continue to do so. He understands how to leverage his mobility to be a defensive asset and now it's about getting stronger to win those one on one battles more consistently. IMO, he's the top defender in this 2025 class and he's proven that with his incredible International play. Now, it's about doing it at the OHL level. If Schaefer can take his offensive play to another level in Erie, he could easily challenge for the top three, along with Martone.

3. Michael Misa - Center/Wing - Saginaw Spirit
Ranking Misa third does feel a little unfair given his talent level, but Martone and Schaefer are just special prospects in their own right. I think everyone knows that Misa is incredibly talented, as a former exceptional status player. His speed and ability to create in transition is impressive. However, I think what a lot of people don't realize is how mature Misa's game is already away from the puck. He's a terrific two-way player who shows really advanced instincts and anticipation as a defensive player. It's one of the reasons why Saginaw was able to have such a strong year, because their forward group buys into being competitive in all three zones. That said, I'd be lying if I said that I felt Misa had shown us his full offensive potential. He's functioned primarily as a complementary piece in Saginaw thus far. Will this be the year where we see him take over games the way that he's capable of; can he drive play consistently and dominate touches? The shot is elite, will he look to shoot more and get between the dots more to use it? Will his decision making and strength on the puck improve, allowing him to really take control of time of possession, utilizing his quickness the way that he should be able to? Is he a center or a wing long term? Lots of questions. This year should provide some answers. Tons to like, even with those questions.

4. Malcolm Spence - Wing - Erie Otters
Spence is such an intriguing player because of his athleticism and safe NHL floor. He's such an explosive straight line skater. He can use it to impact the game in a variety of different ways. He gets after it on the forecheck. He closes quickly along the wall and can be a defensive asset. He can be very dangerous as a straight line attacker offensively. Combine that with his physicality and you get a very versatile player who can be utilized in almost every situation. We've seen that Internationally, where Spence has excelled as a two-way force for Canada at the U18 level. I guess my questions revolve around his offensive upside. I've found his decision making with the puck to be very inconsistent as an OHL player thus far. Additionally, his execution as an offensive weapon has been inconsistent. Sometimes he looks skilled, other times, he struggles to coral passes at full speed or maintain possession. The same can be said of his finishing ability. All the pieces are there, but the puzzle is far from complete. If Spence can really take over games this season the way that he's capable of, we could be looking at a potential top 7-8 selection. If not, I worry that he could fall as an older player over concerns that his development has plateaued.

5. Brady Martin - Center/Wing - Soo Greyhounds
It was great to see Martin perform so well for Canada at the Hlinka/Gretzky in a limited role. I think he really opened some eyes. He was so good in the last few months of last year's OHL season and it seems like he's really found the confidence needed to be an effective player at this level. Martin is a unique player. He's tenacious and physical; his motor never stops. However, he's also incredibly slick and skilled with the puck. He routinely beats defenders one on one and he's very determined to get pucks to the middle of the ice. Martin is also a strong defensive presence, making him the kind of player that you can plug anywhere into your lineup...just as the Canadian coaching staff did at the Hlinka/Gretzky. Even with limited ice time, I'm not sure if you noticed that it was Martin on the ice at the end of the game to protect the lead in the gold medal game. I have absolutely no doubt that he's going to have a terrific year in the Soo. The only negative is the skating. Martin needs to get quicker. His stride is not the most efficient. But, similar to Cole Beaudoin, I think NHL teams could overlook this given Martin's compete level.

6. Jake O'Brien - Center - Brantford Bulldogs
Efficient is the word that I would use to describe O'Brien. That's owing to his terrific IQ; this is a very smart player. He's one of those guys who always seems to be in the right place at the right time in all three zones, and he always seems to make the right play with the puck. His best asset is unquestionably his passing ability. He can really thread the needle. He's extremely dangerous working down low or coming off the wall, part of the reason why he was so effective on the powerplay with Brantford last year. He didn't have the best Hlinka/Gretzky performance and I think it did magnify some of the things that he needs to improve on. O'Brien doesn't ooze athletic tools. He's probably best classified as average as a skater and average physically. He's at his best when he's able to slow the game down and can struggle to play with pace. We saw that last year as an OHL rookie (even despite his Emms Family Award winning year) and we saw it at the Hlinka/Gretzky. O'Brien's efficiency and intelligence will make him coveted; I expect him to have another solid year for Brantford. There's some Robert Thomas here. However, without some improvements, he could end up being more of a second/third round bet, rather than a first.

7. Carson Cameron - Defense - Peterborough Petes
Don't let the fact that Cameron was cut from the Hlinka/Gretzky team fool you, he's a very effective defender. Don't forget that Beckett Sennecke wasn't even INVITED to the Hlinka/Gretzky camp last season and ended up getting drafted third overall. It's not the be all and end all. Right now, Cameron's most effective as a defensive player. He's highly competitive. He's very mobile. He's got great defensive instincts. He's this year's Ben Danford. Offensively, he's a bit of a work in progress and I'd guess that's what got him the axe by HC staff this summer. His exits and breakouts aren't always the cleanest. His decision making with the puck and the quickness of his decisions need to improve. However, he has shown flashes of being a capable puck mover and point producer. A lot of that has to do with his skating ability and his solid point shot. This is an aggressive ranking for a player that I've liked a lot dating back to his Canada Winter Games performance. I think there's a lot to like here and I'm excited to see the progression this year.

8. Kashawn Aitcheson - Defense - Barrie Colts
What a pleasant surprise Aitcheson was last year for Barrie in what was kind of a frustrating year for the franchise. He really stepped up when the team lost Beau Akey and consistently impressed when I saw the Colts play. A true two-way force, Aitcheson is incredibly physical. He has a penchant for the big hit and he really make his presence known and felt on the ice. Offensively, he's a solid presence in the o-zone with how he gets pucks to the net and holds the blueline. He can jump up in the play or lead the rush, but without high end skating ability, I do wonder how effective he'll be doing that at the higher levels. As an older draft eligible, it'll be about finding a way to continue to improve this year, especially offensively. Most importantly, can the four way mobility and quickness improve? Aitcheson's two-way effectiveness and physicality make him a pretty solid bet to be a top 75 pick this year IMO, even this early in the game.

9. Cameron Reid - Defense - Kitchener Rangers
I think what was most impressive about Reid is that he improved every month of his rookie season with the Rangers, finishing the season as a critical component on a team with strong playoff aspirations. He's a strong skater. He makes a good exit pass. He keeps his head on a swivel. He defends pace well with good gap control and an active stick. He has good defensive instincts. There's a lot to like at both ends of the ice. That was fully on display at the recent Hlinka/Gretzky too, where Reid was a fairly solid presence for Team Canada. I've said before that I felt like Reid had higher offensive potential than Matt Schaefer, but I'm not sure I believe that anymore. That doesn't mean that Reid can't be a quality powerplay quarterback too. This year, I'm going to be looking for more activation from him, using his skating ability to be more aggressive offensively at even strength. The only real weakness in his game comes from the need to play with more jam in the defensive end. Last year, he struggled defending the net front and wasn't winning 50/50 battles consistently. Not surprising considering his age. This year, we need to see that improve. If it does, I think Reid is a potential top 50 pick.

10. Luca Romano - Center/Wing - Kitchener Rangers
IMO, the preseason top nine is pretty set. You'd be hard pressed to find someone who didn't have those nine players in some order. That means I considered a ton of different players for this number ten spot (which really means very little this early in the game). I decided to go with Romano because I think that he has the potential to be a really versatile player as he bulks up. The first thing you'll notice about his game is his speed. He's lightning quick. He loves to play at a breakneck pace. However, he's a smart player too. His offensive skill set is pretty well rounded. He does everything pretty well. It's that combination of a well rounded game, high IQ, and the speed element that could make him a very versatile pro. We definitely saw that as an OHL rookie and we saw it recently at the Hlinka/Gretzky. What's missing from his game is strength on the puck and composure under pressure. He's just too easy to separate from the puck right now. That was one of my biggest takeaways at the Hlinka, that it looks like that hadn't improved much. Regardless, he could easily be this year's Jett Luchanko with the right mindset and improvements.

Write ups on the full top 30 at the link, as well as some HM's.

Happy to answer any questions.
I agree that Whitehead has upside but I think he may need a trade out of Ottawa if he wants to get drafted. The 67's may have the best forward depth leaguewide. Of the the 2025 draft eligible kids, Kimi Körbler and Chase Yanni have been preferred by Cameron over Whitehead and the 67's have Charlie Hilton as well who missed lots of time last season due to the illness and death of his father last season but seemed to be liked by Cameron as well when he was around. Maillet and Kressler obviously aged out and there's a chance that Gerroir won't be back but all other forwards are likely to return and with the likes of Ekberg and Amidovski, the 67's will have high profile forward prospects joining for next season. There are also reports about the 67's being on Colby Barlow's short list. I think Whitehead has to hope to get traded or for some other forwards to get traded for defensemen. The 67's could definitely do with some help on defense but upfront it doesn't look good for Whitehead.

Pavel Buchnevich

"Pavel Buchnevich The Fake"
Dec 8, 2013
New York
I’ll give anyone that the top of the OHL crop is very strong, but if Travis Hayes is the 12th best player in the crop then it’s very weak for depth. He had essentially no impact for the weakest US Hlinka forward crop in the last five years.

He’s a late round type of pick, if he has a good season. Could go undrafted like the first brother. Small skill winger that isn’t that skilled. Those aren’t high picks.

My other big comment is about Ivankovic. Do we know his real current height? Because 5’11 and 6’1 is going to generate different discourse. 6’1 can easily be enough for second round.

Reid impresses me, but I get with his size he might not have an ideal role in the NHL. O’Brien was maybe the biggest disappointment to me at the Hlinka. Thought he was invisible.

Last edited:

dr1234

Sep 1, 2022
Thanks for the excellent work!

I particularly agree with the Nesbitt section. From my live viewings he is super shaky and raw, but man, if he puts it together this season the rise will be meteoric.

macbowes

Aug 1, 2022
Victoria
O’Brien was maybe the biggest disappointment to me at the Hlinka. Thought he was invisible.

Same, I thought his performance almost all tournament long was very underwhelming. To be fair, I was expecting him to be the second, or third best forward, but he wasn't very close to that. I would say all of Desnoyers, Guite, Kilfoil, Kindel, Martin, McKenna, Reschny, and Schmidt were better.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
How much regret does Sarina have trading away a potential #1 pick?

Honestly, maybe a little, but probably not as much as you'd think. That's just the CHL. It's cyclical. That was a really good team that happened to be taking part of one of the most competitive playoff races and arms races in the last decade in the OHL. Look at Sarnia now, they've turned things around really well. They've traded well. They've drafted well. They've recruited well. That team is now positioned for another really good run in a year or two.

I guess it just depends what you think of Spence. I see this as a big top 3, then the next group all lumped together. Spence is in that group for me as I want to see offensive consistency at the OHL level first. I see a lot of early 2025 rankings with him in the top ten right now and I'd have other preferences.

Brock

Feb 27, 2002
The GTA
I’ll give anyone that the top of the OHL crop is very strong, but if Travis Hayes is the 12th best player in the crop then it’s very weak for depth. He had essentially no impact for the weakest US Hlinka forward crop in the last five years.

He’s a late round type of pick, if he has a good season. Could go undrafted like the first brother. Small skill winger that isn’t that skilled. Those aren’t high picks.

My other big comment is about Ivankovic. Do we know his real current height? Because 5’11 and 6’1 is going to generate different discourse. 6’1 can easily be enough for second round.

Reid impresses me, but I get with his size he might not have an ideal role in the NHL. O’Brien was maybe the biggest disappointment to me at the Hlinka. Thought he was invisible.

It sounds like you're basing your opinion of Hayes based solely on his Hlinka/Gretzky performance. I'd say that's a pretty dangerous thing to do. Hayes made the OHL's all rookie team for a reason last year. I wouldn't classify him as a small skilled winger at all. First, he's average sized at 5'11, wouldn't be shocked to see him 6'0 or 6'1 by his finished growth spurt as one of the youngest players eligible this year. He's built way more like Gavin than Avery. Secondly, he's a high energy, high tempo, tenacious guy, not necessarily a high skill guy. I mean, it's certainly possible that the skill components of his game don't take that next step forward this year and he ends up sliding...that I can agree with. But, not much else.

I mean, I think back to some other recent performances by American players at the Hlinka and it's been a tough tournament to base an opinion on. Mackie Samoskevich was not great in his tournament, had a single goal and remember him not being very visible. Similar situation of a later birthday (allbeit a little later given that Samoskevich would have been draft eligible the following year). Similar build. He was a first round pick and has turned himself into a very, very good NHL prospect. Meanwhile, I remember Sasha Chmelevski absolutely torching the tournament. He ended up having a disappointing NHL draft year, was a 6th round pick and never really found his niche in the NHL (although has become a KHL standout and may get another kick at the NHL somewhere down the road).

As for Ivankovic, he's 5'11. He was actually listed at 5'10 originally on HC's roster for the camp. Then it switched to 5'11 for the official roster announcement. He's never been listed at over that anywhere.

tomd

Apr 23, 2003
Visit site
I guess it just depends what you think of Spence. I see this as a big top 3, then the next group all lumped together. Spence is in that group for me as I want to see offensive consistency at the OHL level first. I see a lot of early 2025 rankings with him in the top ten right now and I'd have other preferences.
I agree. I'm not super high on Spence but I think going into the season that he is a couple of cuts below the top 3 and a cut above the rest. Just my $0.02 and I'm sure things will change over the course of the season one way or another.

czech

Feb 23, 2009
I think Martin Vaculik deserves to be on this list as well. Let's see how he does in his first season in NA.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad