GDT: Preseason GM05| Vancouver Canucks @ Edmonton Oilers| Mon. Sep 30th | 6pm | SNP | Miller Time?

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
Yeah, Miller is still feeling the effects from that one hit in camp.
I feel like not playing our full roster sooner is a recipe for disaster, but also see Laine..

Canucks LB

My Favourite, Gone too soon, RIP Luc, We miss you
Oct 12, 2008
Miller is definitely either hurt or not playing due to personal reasons.

I had a feeling a few days ago, and now I’m pretty certain. It doesn’t really matter what they say—there’s no way he’s being rested for five preseason games. The question is whether it’s serious enough to keep him out of the regular season. I’m going to say no, because he’s still practicing.

Canucker

Go Hawks!
Oct 5, 2002
Oak Point, Texas
Tocchet must be pretty confident that his main squad doesn't need a "primer" ahead of the season opener...cuz that's a brutal lineup he's icing. Not sure I even want to watch that.

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
Tocchet must be pretty confident that his main squad doesn't need a "primer" ahead of the season opener...cuz that's a brutal lineup he's icing. Not sure I even want to watch that.

This has been the Canucks way for a while. Hold over a bunch of roster shrapnel longer than most in the pre-season. Not sure if they want longer looks at guys or just get the veterans more rest (a bunch of these guys have had enough looks, in my opinion). Meanwhile, the Oilers are basically playing their starting top-six.

Reactions: Canucker

BWJM

Sponsor
Mar 16, 2011
Playing that D group against McDavid/Draisaitl is a recipe for disaster.

Miller is very obviously carrying some sort of minor knock.

Who is our most veteran D tonight? Journeyman tweener Mark Friedman?

Could very well be a blood bath and I'll still be glued to my tv lmao.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
Still no Miller or any update on him. Do we panic yet?
He's a full participant in practice. They're likely holding him out till the end of pre-season as he seemed to suffer a minor injury at the end of the scrimmage game in Penticton when he collided with another player around the middle of the ice. He came out for one last shift after that but he was hunching over and looked to be in pain.
Better to let him rest until the game on Friday, and if it were anything other than a minor tweak, he wouldn't be doing full contact in practice right now.

Reactions: CanuckCity

Tinhorn1

Aug 7, 2007
Still have no idea about the Miller situation, but it looks like Tocchet is really trying to sort the depth C option.

Last preseason game will probably be the squad.
Also the fourth line wingers/combos. Hope it doesn't come at the expense of the coherence of the main group to start the year.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
This is why pre-season can really suck for the fans.....assuming that in Edmonton, the season-ticket holders are also forced to buy tickets for the exhibition games?......and that these games have regular NHL ticket prices?

Watching an NHL-ready lineup slaughter essentially an AHL team may be good for testing out the goal-horn; or to beef up the highlight reel package on YouTube, But most real hockey fans can see through this pre-season charade.

Last year the Canucks lost 11-0 in Calgary with hardly a single NHL player in the lineup. Probably won't be as bad tonight.....but what's the point?

SeawaterOnIce

Bald is back in style.
Sponsor
Aug 28, 2011
I will say it again...pre-season needs to be 3 games max.

This is just a total waste of time when we could be starting the regular season right now.

Hell, they can tack on a few more regular season games to make up for the pre-season games that would be lost. Or do a stupid play-in round.

Reactions: ephmrl

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
In the NFL most teams are shifting towards only playing bubble guys in the preseason. It's largely pointless, but I still enjoy watching it.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
I will say it again...pre-season needs to be 3 games max.

This is just a total waste of time when we could be starting the regular season right now.

Hell, they can tack on a few more regular season games to make up for the pre-season games that would be lost. Or do a stupid play-in round.

I would change the veteran rule. I would say teams should have, say, 6 preseason games but ONLY the last 3 should have a veteran rule. The first three a team has should be mainly the lesser lights with vets sprinkled in as the coaching staff wants. After those three you make the bulk of your cuts and for the last 3 you have the guys who are going to be on the team, competing for a spot or will be your call ups.

Blue and Green

Out to lunch
Dec 17, 2017
This has been the Canucks way for a while. Hold over a bunch of roster shrapnel longer than most in the pre-season. Not sure if they want longer looks at guys or just get the veterans more rest (a bunch of these guys have had enough looks, in my opinion). Meanwhile, the Oilers are basically playing their starting top-six.
Some of each reason, probably. And typically the home team ices the stronger squad in preseason.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad