GDT: Preseason Games 2 & 3, Oilers Flames in a Double header beer leaguer

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

ZJuice

pickle juice connoisseur
May 17, 2010
Edmonton
I gave my two weeks notice this morning, but instead of walking me out and paying me the two weeks I’m getting the silent treatment!

What should I do with my life for the next two weeks? Sudoku only holds my attention for so long.. can I legally do certificate courses I paid for with my own dollar? Ahh

Jumptheshark

Rebooting myself
Oct 12, 2003
Somewhere on Uranus
I actually really enjoy these early games because they give a glimpse of the potential future and you can't watch a lot of these prospects on TV. So getting to see what guys like O'Reilly bring now, lets you track them year over year.

I like watching the kids the problem is this place has a nasty habit of seeing a guy play a few shifts and fall in love with the guy and all of a sudden he will be fighting for top 6 minute next season. We get over hyped and happy too easy sometimes.

I like watching the kids play just not with how we get a head of ourselves sometimes.

JordanGalhanth

Apr 21, 2012
I like watching the kids the problem is this place has a nasty habit of seeing a guy play a few shifts and fall in love with the guy and all of a sudden he will be fighting for top 6 minute next season. We get over hyped and happy too easy sometimes.

I like watching the kids play just not with how we get a head of ourselves sometimes.
Since when would HFOil ever do that? :sarcasm:

Reactions: Valhallis

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
I gave my two weeks notice this morning, but instead of walking me out and paying me the two weeks I’m getting the silent treatment!

What should I do with my life for the next two weeks? Sudoku only holds my attention for so long.. can I legally do certificate courses I paid for with my own dollar? Ahh

You should walk in naked on your last day.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
I hear that every year. Then I hear the complaints on here how we wasted time doing this and now so and so player has no chemistry with his actual linemates.

Oilers aren’t in the window of giving prospects boosts. They are in the window of win now. Leon is going to have 2 new linemates, you would hink you’d want to give that line a running start to the season
There is a difference between one game and the whole preseason. If he still is playing with prospects later in the preseason then I am on your side. But they have some decisions to make on a few guys which require more info. And as I said, there is no chance that one game has any real impact on the season as a whole, especially the first preseason game for the core vets where you pretty much know they will be on cruise.

The issue last year was injuries to McDavid and Ekholm compounded with horrendous goaltending. And yet they came within 1 goal of the SC despite the only really constant line combinations being McDavid and Hyman.

Reactions: ChaoticOrange

CornKicker

Holland is wrong..except all of the good things
Feb 18, 2005

i mean if they are paying you to do nothing you might as well make a "flamesfansince 89" account and enter the flames board for some fun

They put Huberdeau on their crap road squad lol.
if you can tell a difference between the 2 lineups and decipher one worse than the other you are a better fan than me, i look at both and think the oilers playing echl teams is a waste of time

• Haha
Reactions: ZJuice

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
Surprising to hear McDavid scream like that. Definitely a side of him I didn't expect.
lol, like many high end athletes he's intense, don't let post game interviews fool you.

NSFW language (and yeah that's Kris Knoblaugh there too):

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
lol, like many high end athletes he's intense, don't let post game interviews fool you.

NSFW language (and yeah that's Kris Knoblaugh there too):

Yeah. The persona they show publicly is curated and someone like Connor has had media training. He wont slip up in front of fans but you know his deep seated competitiveness is very intense and you just know his teammates feel his wrath if they aren’t pulling their weight.

Reactions: Oilers88

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
There is a difference between one game and the whole preseason. If he still is playing with prospects later in the preseason then I am on your side. But they have some decisions to make on a few guys which require more info. And as I said, there is no chance that one game has any real impact on the season as a whole, especially the first preseason game for the core vets where you pretty much know they will be on cruise.

The issue last year was injuries to McDavid and Ekholm compounded with horrendous goaltending. And yet they came within 1 goal of the SC despite the only really constant line combinations being McDavid and Hyman.
a game or two with the likes of Leon Draisaitl can also have the effect of showing these guys what the top end of the game looks like.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad