GDT: Preseason Game 8, Oilers at Canucks in the final (thank God) beer leager. Sportsnet 8 PM

Oilhawks

Song to Hall Up High
Nov 24, 2011
The poster’s acronym is BS, by the way.

This might as well be the results of all of BS’s posts

1728110098678.gif

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003

Saw the third but not paying too much attention, does the eye test agree with this?

Glad this preseason shit is finally over with. Onto the regular season.

Monday the roster is announced.
Yes.

I think some people’s expectations of Emberson are too high. He’s meant to be a steady defenseman that can help with puck transition while being at least average defensively. I think he is that already and has potential to be better with more experience.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Disjointed.

Not seeing much cohesive, connected play in any facet. Oil look slow in both Kraken game and tonight. PP hasn't found its rhythm. Surprising to see a slow pre-season start for McDavid. But really no-one is going.

Time to amp it up with regular season.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
Honestly, with the super flat Oilers performance, I thought that the Canucks were lucky to get the win. Silovs played the best game of his life, and the Oil got a little unlucky.
What concern me is the amount of games we should win that get stolen just like that.

Our own goaltender should be part of the solution. It's absolutely crazy that we are happy when the goaltending battle is a non factor.

GrumpyKoala

Aug 11, 2020
every angle man every f***ing angle

Sure they give the blue very easily
But then again that shot had no business going in.

Unblocked view, wrister, short side. Skinner cheated and didn't really reacted.

Additionally we got our trademark half assed back check from Dr 12 millions allowing 23 to separate himself and crash the net.

Hockey is a game of mistakes and kulak only one here is not cutting the blue aggressively enough on a 3 on 2 rush?

Reactions: harpoon

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
Disjointed.

Not seeing much cohesive, connected play in any facet. Oil look slow in both Kraken game and tonight. PP hasn't found its rhythm. Surprising to see a slow pre-season start for McDavid. But really no-one is going.

Time to amp it up with regular season.

The teams looks like they've treated the games as scrimmages. Though they're not wrong for that.
It's also been an odd preseason schedule. 8 games, but they wrap up early and then sit for 5 days. That more or less breaks any "momentum" you have going.

The fact that they made it through with only Ryan and Lavoie getting lightly banged up likely means the team views it as mission accomplished.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
As much as we all talk about the dcore, fourth line etc, the top 2 lines have been pretty dreadful this preseason. Hyman and JSkinner in particular but even Mcdavid, Draisaitl look pretty bad (or not theirselves). RNH is just kinda RNH. Arviddson been the only one that looks semi decent to me.

Preason. Veterans. Yada yada. I get it.

Its a bit concerning that out top 6 played as much as they did and still look out of sync. If our PP isn’t a world beater we could have a slow start. Just feels like the team has to be backed into a corner before they start to play well. I just wish the team would play a more simplified game until their A game is in sync.

alphahelix

Feb 15, 2007
As much as we all talk about the dcore, fourth line etc, the top 2 lines have been pretty dreadful this preseason. Hyman and JSkinner in particular but even Mcdavid, Draisaitl look pretty bad (or not theirselves). RNH is just kinda RNH. Arviddson been the only one that looks semi decent to me.

Its a bit concerning that out top 6 played as much as they did and still look out of sync. If our PP isn’t a world beater we could have a slow start. Just feels like the team has to be backed into a corner before they start to play well. I just wish the team would play a more simplified game until their A game is in sync.

The D is bad on paper. If their play also reflects that (I havent been watching much preseason), it just reinforces the reality of the situation. No miracles forthcoming.

The top 6 is good on paper. Obviously when the season starts rolling they'll have to prove it at some point, but who cares how they do in preseason? We have the horses up front they'll figure it out.

Thats the difference.

We also have Stuart Skinner, who I've always supported, but management would do well to remember that he isn't Dominik Hasek and running a porous D in front of him isnt an option. We're cutting costs and saving money in net, you absolutely cannot do the same on D.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
I'm a bit concerned that a team got slower with this roster. Especially if not prospects make the club. Guess we have to see what final lineup looks like but after a real long season last year its not the best of ideas to go with a real old lineup this year. I mean this is the time of year you'd be fresh and guys like Janmark looked like fossils out there. I'm a fan of his too saying that. I don't see a lot of speed in this lineup.
Maybe it did. Maybe it didn’t. You can’t tell from the preseason though. The intensity just isn’t there during these games. We will have to wait until the 10 ish game mark to find out.

No one wins or loses in October anyway.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

TB12

Apr 5, 2015
Sure they give the blue very easily
But then again that shot had no business going in.

Unblocked view, wrister, short side. Skinner cheated and didn't really reacted.

Additionally we got our trademark half assed back check from Dr 12 millions allowing 23 to separate himself and crash the net.

Hockey is a game of mistakes and kulak only one here is not cutting the blue aggressively enough on a 3 on 2 rush?
That's not his salary. This year or next year. Be accurate if you're trying to weakly chirp one of the best players in the world on a f***ing PRESEASON game backcheck.

This place. SMH.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

NeverForget06

Here we go again !
Jan 7, 2013
Edmonton
lol did anyone claim that this team isn’t as good as last year and will never get that close again yet??

I can’t wait for people to jump to that when we start like 3-5-2 this year

It’s preseason and there was like 1 roster spot up for grabs….. they’ll find their game

Reactions: Oilhawks and TB12

dssource

5-14-6-1=97
Jun 29, 2012
Oil still really sloppy, which is expected at this time of year. Hopefully the days off now until game 1 they can work on these issues.

I've liked Emberson's game so far. He's calm and composed back there and that's all I really want to see from him right now.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
The D is bad on paper. If their play also reflects that (I havent been watching much preseason), it just reinforces the reality of the situation. No miracles forthcoming.

The top 6 is good on paper. Obviously when the season starts rolling they'll have to prove it at some point, but who cares how they do in preseason? We have the horses up front they'll figure it out.

Thats the difference.

We also have Stuart Skinner, who I've always supported, but management would do well to remember that he isn't Dominik Hasek and running a porous D in front of him isnt an option. We're cutting costs and saving money in net, you absolutely cannot do the same on D.
The problem with the D is that if we are going to have a top 3 instead of a top 4, you kinda need a Pronger type, which we don't have. I love the Ekholm-Bouchard pairing but these aren't 28 minute a night guys. But I'm willing to be patient with Nurse-Emberson and hope the forward depth can outscore our problems. I'm expecting a rough GA stat

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

RNH is getting an awful lot of sauce on his shot and pretty good aim. Hitting goalposts and nearly there. Hyman probably shows up at seasons start.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
lol did anyone claim that this team isn’t as good as last year and will never get that close again yet??

I can’t wait for people to jump to that when we start like 3-5-2 this year

It’s preseason and there was like 1 roster spot up for grabs….. they’ll find their game
meh. there doesn't need to be angst among the fanbase here based on level of positivity. Lets not enter into that K Lowe "level 3" type fan stuff here. People expressing some doubts is seemingly ok.

To the point we have a whole season without Kane. Given his performance here thats a problem. His contribution will be missed. Sure we got RV and Skinner but neither of those players is a physical presence. Oilers are in the position where they can again get exposed to opponents taking liberties. Goaltending continues to be an issue. NHL correction has occurred and the Drai spot goal infrequently occurring. Actually hardly any goals are occurring.

While I feel we got better on D and that guys like Stecher, Emberson show some promise theres a number of changes on club meaning it will take time to gel as a club and system wise. People have wanted this to be a first place club this year. We'll see how that all turns out.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The teams looks like they've treated the games as scrimmages. Though they're not wrong for that.
It's also been an odd preseason schedule. 8 games, but they wrap up early and then sit for 5 days. That more or less breaks any "momentum" you have going.

The fact that they made it through with only Ryan and Lavoie getting lightly banged up likely means the team views it as mission accomplished.
Fully agree. Preseason games 1 to 6 which were largely scrimmages with focus on evaluation. Game 7 with a virtual final roster they were decent but inexperienced goaltending distorted the scoreboard. Game 8 with a final roster, heated rival, and desire to drive some momentum to start the season was surprisingly flat.

Way, way too many exhibition games. Even still would like to see specific areas like the PP click at least with chances - it looked pretty pedestrian. The team has shown to cope and thrive with adversity so they will get it together. However the build up to regular season play and speed has been uneven with few players or lines standing out. Time to flip the switch.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
RNH is getting an awful lot of sauce on his shot and pretty good aim. Hitting goalposts and nearly there. Hyman probably shows up at seasons start.
Nugent Hopkins was their best player especially in the first. Great shot that hit iron, threaded passes that didn't get converted, and strong own zone coverage support.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Missed the game, done with preseason, but just looking at the score there has to be at least some concern.
I know preseason doesn't mean much but when a full/near full lineup is consistently getting beat soundly, it raises some red flags.
Hopefully they can just turn it on for the regular season because this preseason didn't inspire much confidence, to say the least.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad