GDT: Preseason game #8, Jets at Flames, 2am BST, TSN3 (7:00 PM MDT)

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
I'll be watching.

Rooting for you Honzo, do this right and the NHL trial is yours!

In my opinion, if Honzo stays on the roster- Coronato gets sent down (because of Pelletier who stays in the lineup too).

I would also waive Rooney and try Lombo- Klapka- Pelletier as our 4th line.

Mobiandi

Jan 17, 2015
This is like when the pandemic playoffs started and we still had to play the Canucks a couple times for no reason

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014
I think all of the regular season Game Day Threads should use GMT for display of game time.

We can be quirky/annoying and learn something at the same time.

NGL, when I skimmed 3 AM, one of my first thoughts was "Challenge accepted! Wait, why are they playing at 3AM?"

And then I was like, "Oh, that's not THAT interesting."

• Haha
Reactions: joescores

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
Well ladies and gentleman, looks like we have your Calgary Flames 2024-25 roster with the exception of Coleman sitting for Honzek:

Sharangovich-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Pospisil-Mantha
Zary-Backlund-Honzek
Lomberg-Rooney-Klapka

Weegar-Miromanov
Bahl-Andersson
Bean-Pachal

Vladar
Wolf

Lines haven’t been posted yet, just inferring from the names listed for the game roster. Imagine if Honzek has one last good game he’s in, if not he’s sent down the next 2 days. Either way Coleman gets that spot in the lineup and Honzek fits in sporadically over his 9 game trial.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
lol after an off season of debating which and how many prospects make the team, the answer is Klapka.

lol flames gonna flame

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
lol after an off season of debating which and how many prospects make the team, the answer is Klapka.

lol flames gonna flame
By March, I imagine Coronato and Brzustewicz are being added full time to the main roster. Next October, Honzek and Parekh. We have top 6C Pospisil, and more responsibility for Zary to look forward to, as well as Klapka and a 50/50 shot at seeing Honzek’s cup of tea. Bahl is the same age as Solovyov who fans through a fit about, and Miromanov is getting his shot on a top pair. Wolf likely gets 30 starts this year with an outside chance of 40. Players like Stromgren, Kuznetsov etc probably get 10+ games when injuries start to happen.

Fans who are going to complain are going to complain regardless I guess.

Last edited:

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
Well ladies and gentleman, looks like we have your Calgary Flames 2024-25 roster with the exception of Coleman sitting for Honzek:

Sharangovich-Kadri-Kuzmenko
Huberdeau-Pospisil-Mantha
Zary-Backlund-Honzek
Lomberg-Rooney-Klapka

Weegar-Miromanov
Bahl-Andersson
Bean-Pachal

Vladar
Wolf

Lines haven’t been posted yet, just inferring from the names listed for the game roster. Imagine if Honzek has one last good game he’s in, if not he’s sent down the next 2 days. Either way Coleman gets that spot in the lineup and Honzek fits in sporadically over his 9 game trial.
I wouldn't infer so much from this roster.

I wouldn't be remotely shocked if the final 3 skater cuts were Klapka, Coronato & Honzek as all 3 are waiver exempt.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
1728070899294.png

I wonder if Vladdy and Wolfie split time tonight

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

I wouldn't be remotely shocked if the final 3 skater cuts were Klapka, Coronato & Honzek as all 3 are waiver exempt.
You wouldn’t infer much from this roster, but see only one player being different in the opening night lineup other than the obvious Coleman spot? I’d think if Schwindt made the team over Klapka he’d be playing tonight, but I’ve been wrong before.

Ace Rimmer

Stoke me a clipper.
Someone check my math, and apologies to @joescores if I'm mistaken, but I think the start time BST is 2:00 AM, not 3:00 AM

We're still on daylight savings time, standard time doesn't start until 1st Sunday in November. Because reasons.

7:00 p.m. Friday, Mountain Time (MT) is
1:00 a.m. Saturday, Greenwich Mean Time (GMT)

I blame Google if I'm wrong.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Rooney is not an NHL-er, easy waiver move, keep Klapka up and try him in the middle. Keep/play Honzo.

Lunatik

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 12, 2012
You wouldn’t infer much from this roster, but see only one player being different in the opening night lineup other than the obvious Coleman spot? I’d think if Schwindt made the team over Klapka he’d be playing tonight, but I’ve been wrong before.
All the guys not playing, that are up for roster spots also played in Winnipeg, and Coronato and Pelletier have played a lot this preseason. With Schwindt (and Rooney), if feel like he'd have been waived already with Hunt & co if he didn't make the team. I think Schwindt only makes it as the 13th forward to sit in teh press box. Klapka is probably ahead of him on the depth chart, but we'd prefer to have him playing than sitting.

I really suspect the only guy left to be waived is Cooley and that is in large part due to the Swayman situation and the fact the Bruins already grabbed a scrub goalie and might think Cooley is on upgrade on them.

joescores

Mar 21, 2011
Someone check my math, and apologies to @joescores if I'm mistaken, but I think the start time BST is 2:00 AM, not 3:00 AM

We're still on daylight savings time, standard time doesn't start until 1st Sunday in November. Because reasons.

I blame Google if I'm wrong.
No, you are right and glad I have checked as well or I would of missed 1st period/now edited! Cheers mate

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
All the guys not playing, that are up for roster spots also played in Winnipeg, and Coronato and Pelletier have played a lot this preseason. With Schwindt (and Rooney), if feel like he'd have been waived already with Hunt & co if he didn't make the team. I think Schwindt only makes it as the 13th forward to sit in teh press box. Klapka is probably ahead of him on the depth chart, but we'd prefer to have him playing than sitting.

I really suspect the only guy left to be waived is Cooley and that is in large part due to the Swayman situation and the fact the Bruins already grabbed a scrub goalie and might think Cooley is on upgrade on them.
This isnt the game you sit out. This is the last chance before the real thing to find chemistry with your linemates. Not a coincidence the only veteran sitting out is in year 4 of playing with the same centre. If Pelletier was in the opening night lineup he’s getting reps in with Rooney-Lomberg tonight unless he’s banged up.

Regardless I don’t think Schwindt is a risk to be claimed. Sunday every single team league wide has to load the waiver wire to be roster/cap compliant. Don’t think a team changes their plans for their roster for a Schwindt.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
By March, I imagine Coronato and Brzustewicz are being added full time to the main roster. Next October, Honzek and Parekh. We have top 6C Pospisil, and more responsibility for Zary to look forward to, as well as Klapka and a 50/50 shot at seeing Honzek’s cup of tea. Bahl is the same age as Solovyov who fans through a fit about, and Miromanov is getting his shot on a top pair. Wolf likely gets 30 starts this year with an outside chance of 40. Players like Stromgren, Kuznetsov etc probably get 10+ games when injuries start to happen.

Fans who are going to complain are going to complain regardless I guess.
I'm highly, highly skeptical that an organization so afraid to graduate prospects gradually is suddenly going to intentionally promote half a dozen or more in a matter of a few months.

It's like the reason they signed all of Bean, Barrie, Tinordi while keeping Hanley to act as veteran insurance when they literally have all of Grushnikov, Brzustewicz, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, & Poirier needing NHL games to develop.

It's gonna take a boatload of injuries/trades/waiver losses before a lot of prospects even start sniffing the NHL again.

Reactions: Figgy44

Figgy44

A toast of purple gato for the memories
Dec 15, 2014

Fair, but I think he also has a point. If Honzek does another amazing showing, I think management has no choice but to give him that solid 9 game cup of coffee. Something I don't believe we've seen from someone 20 or younger since... Bennett? Andersson?

Tkachuk doesn't count. I think from the moment he hopped on the ice with Flames silks, it was obvious he was going to easily earn a permanent position on the Flames roster. Valimaki's situation was a little weird too and I think he earned his way onto the roster, it wasn't a cup of coffee consideration.

Not since Hartley do I think certain guys got 9 games and a message of "give it your best shot next season".

I'm highly, highly skeptical that an organization so afraid to graduate prospects gradually is suddenly going to intentionally promote half a dozen or more in a matter of a few months.

It's like the reason they signed all of Bean, Barrie, Tinordi while keeping Hanley to act as veteran insurance when they literally have all of Grushnikov, Brzustewicz, Kuznetsov, Solovyov, & Poirier needing NHL games to develop.

It's gonna take a boatload of injuries/trades/waiver losses before a lot of prospects even start sniffing the NHL again.

Next year, sure. But not this TDL. I mean, if we trade that many players again, sure. I guess. But I agree I find it hard to believe that's an intentional plan and that we'd move so many roster players and not get roster players back in return. We have cap space. It'd expected we'd need to utilize it to maximize return and allow other cap strapped teams to make the moves fit.

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020

…what? We are the organization know for graduating prospects gradually? What we aren’t know for is throwing prospects in for the sake of doing it, and letting them come in when they’re ready to play.

2023/24: Zary, Pospisil •126 games
2022/23: Duehr, Ruzicka, Pelletier •95
2021/22: Kylington •73 games
2020/21: Valimaki, Dube •100 games

Where in the world did you see we were graduating 6 players in a few months anywhere in my post? We are graduating Wild now, I think likely Coronato and Brzustewicz around the deadline, and to begin next season Parekh and Honzek. Thats almost exactly in line with what we have done the 4 years prior.

Also I’m sorry but saying Brzustewicz, Grushnikov, Poirier, and Kuznetsov “need NHL games to develop is funny. Those are all guys who have A LOT to learn in the AHL, and I say that as a major Brzus fan.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad