GDT: Preseason Game 7, Oilers at Kraken beer leager. Oilers + 8 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
This preseason has not been a pretty sight. At least there’s only one more game left.

unicornBLOOD

Mar 18, 2022
the team, as a whole, goaltending excluded, wasn't horrible tonight, nor were they great. The 2nd period was their best effort. I imagine it's hard to be too motivated in a preseason game, when your team's 3rd string goalie lets in 4 goals on 5 shots in a period that your team dictated the majority of the play. Pretty much have to throw out the 3rd period and the results.

That being said, it's been an odd preseason, with some odd coaching choices as well, with who Knob had dressed and who he has played with who. They don't look close to a final product, regular season will show where they truly are as a team.

I haven't really watch any of the games. How's Jeff Skinner?
hasn't looked great or comfortable yet, but it's preseason, and he's on a new team, with 2 new line mates. It's way too early to tell if he and Drai and Arv are going to work or not, so far, it hasn't, but they've only played 2 games together so far. I'm not willing to make any sort of judgement on him or that line at this point, way too early.

Reactions: Canovin

Dazed and Confused

Ludicrous speed, GO!
Aug 10, 2007
Berlin, Germany
I don't want to put too much stock into preseason but if preseason is any indication, this team might get off to a slow start again.

Is there any reason why Knoblauch didn't play Nurse-Emberson together? These guys are going to go into the season with zero chemistry and with Brown likely on the 3rd pairing, not ideal.

This goes towards your comment and also the talk on GYB; who cares if Nurse-Emberson has been the pairing since the start of camp? I don't doubt that's eventually the plan, but they're still a week away from opening night, plenty of time to try new looks after seeing Kulak-Brown (or more specifically, Anyone-Brown) is a no-go.

Imo the plan last night was to see if Dermott could keep his head above water on the right side, while Brown got another(final?) shot with Kulak. Imo Dermott held his own, while Brown failed.

Right now I'd say Dermott's got the inside lane for the #7 spot, while the top 6 is set with Emerbson and Stecher talking the last two spots (unsurprisingly). We'll probably see them rotate vs. Vancouver to see who fits best with Nurse/Kulak.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Connor Brown played well yesterday and the line did. The Henrique line was better than the Drai line. Said that a couple times, figured I'd own up to it. Brown particularly looks a bit faster and more aggressive to pucks. Doing that EV as well which is more of what I wanted. Janmark however seemed to have some consistency energy problems and maybe fatigued with all the pk. The card in the pocket this season is how does Henrique help us here for a full season. Would like to see players dropped down to him occasionally to see some matching advantages playing against weaker opponent lines.
Who are you and what did you do with the stubborn ass drivesaitl that I've known for years haha

All kidding aside, Henrique was arguably the biggest signing of the offseason. It's vital in this league to have a strong 3rd line and he's the anchor of that and will be for 2 years at a cheap rate.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
This goes towards your comment and also the talk on GYB; who cares if Nurse-Emberson has been the pairing since the start of camp? I don't doubt that's eventually the plan, but they're still a week away from opening night, plenty of time to try new looks after seeing Kulak-Brown (or more specifically, Anyone-Brown) is a no-go.

Imo the plan last night was to see if Dermott could keep his head above water on the right side, while Brown got another(final?) shot with Kulak. Imo Dermott held his own, while Brown failed.

Right now I'd say Dermott's got the inside lane for the #7 spot, while the top 6 is set with Emerbson and Stecher talking the last two spots (unsurprisingly). We'll probably see them rotate vs. Vancouver to see who fits best with Nurse/Kulak.
I wouldn’t be surprised if stecher started the season next to nurse

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Who are you and what did you do with the stubborn ass drivesaitl that I've known for years haha

All kidding aside, Henrique was arguably the biggest signing of the offseason. It's vital in this league to have a strong 3rd line and he's the anchor of that and will be for 2 years at a cheap rate.
haha. Sometimes it takes me the next day to process feedback and reevaluate. The proverbial sleeping on it thing.

Henrique is huge to have for the full season and allows us to not have to drop Nuge down to Center 3rd line at times. Albeit this wasn't happening much in recent yrs. I would wonder about dropping RV down to play with Henrique at times. Hopefully Henrique can retain legs all year. Should be easier here for him because he see's less minutes here which is right for him at present age.

• Love
Reactions: brentashton

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
haha. Sometimes it takes me the next day to process feedback and reevaluate. The proverbial sleeping on it thing.

Henrique is huge to have for the full season and allows us to not have to drop Nuge down to Center 3rd line at times. Albeit this wasn't happening much in recent yrs. I would wonder about dropping RV down to play with Henrique at times. Hopefully Henrique can retain legs all year. Should be easier here for him because he see's less minutes here which is right for him at present age.
I’d like to see lavoie get a shot with one of our top 2 centers, if he can play well we’d be able to drop a good forward down to the 3rd line

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
I haven't really watch any of the games. How's Jeff Skinner?
I haven't watched a ton, but what I have watched, he gets in the right spots and he just hasn't gotten his timing down yet.

His skating woes weren't oversold, though. Dude is slow. Still pretty agile and good on his edges but his speed is not great.

I think Arvidsson will be a much better fit on this team.

Reactions: Canovin

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Skinner should be playing with McDavid, Nuge with Draisaitl. Nuge - Draisaitl - Arvidsson is similar to the line with Yamamoto, except that Arvidsson is 2x the player Yamamoto was. Skinner can find soft spots, which will work much better with McDavid and Hyman.
Splendid Idea. Except that exposes Skinner to matching against other top lines and potentially being exploited. Would help the second line though. Probably more of a match as you stated.

Arpeggio

Jul 20, 2006
Edmonton
Splendid Idea. Except that exposes Skinner to matching against other top lines and potentially being exploited. Would help the second line though. Probably more of a match as you stated.
I think if the plan is to continue to play Bouchard and Ekholm with the top line, Skinner would be fine there. Or maybe you switch the matchups a bit and get the second line out there against the other team's top line.

I'm also not entirely opposed to just dropping Skinner out of the top six if he's getting burnt defensively. I doubt we've seen the last of Henrique in the top six.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Personally I'm pretty happy with Stecher... I've watched him before and he's a guy that works his bag off and doesn't take anything for granted... as you really can't when you are that size and no pedigree to fall back on as a 30 year old undrafted guy.

Sure I'd be a lot more comfortable if Emberson was more experienced as well instead of a big question mark who's played 30 games... but then again so was Broberg (who I was never high on to begin with and is certainly not worth $4.6 million at this stage) and also... the Oilers would have never gotten Emberson for peanuts if he was more proven in the NHL.

Every team has a few weaknesses at certain spots and Oilers have a few... RD on the 2nd pairing "might" be one... maybe... unless Emberson and/or Stecher look decent there... which is entirely possible but we won't know for sure until the season starts for real.

I'm possibly more worried about offense... Skinner/Arvidsson HAVE to click or it's all down to McDrai yet again. Hyman had 54... very likely won't repeat that and RNH had 18... maybe can expect 20 out of him. McDrai hopefully score more than the 73 they did last year or else this team will take a dip in offense.

Goaltending is only "ok"... but that duo will only go as far as the team offense and defense takes them as they are very average at best.

I'm just saying this right now doesn't feel like a team at the top of the league that's coming in hot from the 7th game in the SC finals. It feels like they are jetlagged and will take some time to get up to speed again especially with every team in the NHL clearly gunning for them every game they play. No easy games for the Oilers,
This team is overflowing with offensive options and a coach willing to play around with deployment. It's the heart of their team strength and competitive advantage within the league. Scoring is not a concern even if there is some regression with individuals (likely) or as a collective. They have three strong pieces to move around as centre/wingers with Draisaitl, Nugent Hopkins, and Henrique. Likely still to see some McDavid Draisaitl Stack Line with RNH actually getting some quality scoring wingers with Skinner and Arvy (which might actually be a good fit for Skinner). Henrique too can move in situations to moonlight as a support winger.

The trouble spot is goal suppression including PK which relies on a completely rebuilt right side defense that's lost 6'3"; 6'4"; 6'7" area defenders and PK pieces. McLeod's offence won't be missed but his quality PK and defensive support with elite speed will. The 94% playoff PK is not a repeatable event but that's alot of change.

Behind them, this team is counting on continuing growth in Skinner's game and stable back-up minutes from Pickard. Should happen but no guarantee.

Canovin

1% is the new 11.5%
Oct 27, 2010
I'm guessing the Oilers are going to do just enough to get into the playoffs and keep their energy for the playoffs

9GWG9

C=NV
Jul 13, 2007
Just here to say I have concerns with the D and Goaltending. Same as every year.

See you guys in June winky thingy.

Mr Positive

Cap Crunch Incoming
Nov 20, 2013
It's silly that a team who was playing intense hockey into June has to play 8 preseason games, which has to be among the highest games played.

Reactions: Oilhawks

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
when your team's 3rd string goalie lets in 4 goals on 5 shots in a period that your team dictated the majority of the play. Pretty much have to throw out the 3rd period and the results.

First, slight math correction... it was 3 goals on 5 shots in the 2nd.

Second, all three of those goals were... woof... not great. Maybe the first one he's lifting his pad expecting a pass to the trailer? I dunno, I hate backhand spins, they are always tough cuz shooter has lots of options. Still Rodrique was very passive near his goal line rather than out on top of blue paint, giving himself a poke check option.

Third, to the quoted... as a goalie, this attitude burns me up... It's ok to fold when your goalie (in a players' own opinion) has an off night? Does that mean the goalie can give up after a third or fourth breakaway on a given night? What kind of a ripe, 💩-y double standard is that? That right there is why we are all crazy.... way too many players grow up with this attitude.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad