GDT: Preseason Game 7, Oilers at Kraken beer leager. Oilers + 8 PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Who knows what the brain trust is really thinking but combined with Kulak-JBrown, it just feels confusing.

Also just feels like setting up Philp to fail by giving him the worst linemates so its easier to send him to Bakersfield.

But I am probably just being negative and dramatic lol

I think Philp is auditioning for exactly the role he will be playing so I’m ok with his assignment tonight.

Cypress

Mar 4, 2018
Good question about Stetcher. The Oilers Plan A was to extend its NHL defense depth with Stetcher and Brown as 7th & 8th dmen who could step into third pairing minutes. Fully believe both got term deals as poison pills to mitigate waiver claim considerations with ability to move up and down between Edmonton and Bakersfield. They essentially pre-purchased their trade deadline defense depth without giving up any precious draft collateral.

The Oilers are working through Plan B with loss of three defenders 6'3"; 6'4"; and 6'7" so the audition is on to find balance with own zone defending and PK ability. There is clearly some consideration for Brown's size and reach for important home plate defending, cycle breaking, and willingness to fight. Stetcher a game undersized d-man who's built a strong journeyman career with solid minutes on bad teams that gets leveraged into trade deadline insurance to good teams and fewer, reduced minutes. Dermott some versatility and known to this head coach and Jackson through his former agency. Looks like a three-way battle for two jobs. PK ability is going to be a key factor in their decision with loss of their two top right shot PK dmen. Feels like Emberton virtue of age and latent potential upside might get first crack at 2RD. Might be a candidate too for PK work.

Personally I think a realistic 2RD is a step beyond all these guys and a lingering roster hole that's existed for years.

Caggulia signed back with the Oilers last season pre-dating Bowman. He's become a good pro's pro for the organization in Bakersfield with his work ethic and attitude. An AHL NHL tweener this is a reward for the attributes he brings to the organization. Good energy player but I suspect the Oilers would have a bigger body in that role for NHL bottom six.
Good breakdown on the D situation. I'm aware Cagguila was here last year. Seems like he's getting much more consideration this year for some reason, and that's the reason I could think of is Bowman may see him more favorably than Holland did
I don't know Cagguila was ever an everyday NHLer back then in Chicago. He's really never been an everyday NHLer

Think it's more the guy is the type of players coaches love and Knoblauch has never really seen him before so he's taking that extended look. Just one of those guys that listens and follows instructions from the coaches while giving it his all. Unfortunately I don't think he thinks the game fast enough at the NHL level
He wasn't an every day player in Chicago either, but he did score at a fairly good rate when in the lineup. I wasn't a big fan of his last time he was in Edmonton; a decent stop-gap player that could fill in for various roles during injuries, but ultimately a player that I felt was overall a negative to have in the lineup.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Good breakdown on the D situation. I'm aware Cagguila was here last year. Seems like he's getting much more consideration this year for some reason, and that's the reason I could think of is Bowman may see him more favorably than Holland did

He wasn't an every day player in Chicago either, but he did score at a fairly good rate when in the lineup. I wasn't a big fan of his last time he was in Edmonton; a decent stop-gap player that could fill in for various roles during injuries, but ultimately a player that I felt was overall a negative to have in the lineup.
Possibly, though I think the decision making is moreso coaching staff than GM influence. I think Lavoie having some kind of nagging injury clouds maybe the real evaluation point of whether this young, waiver eligible player can effectively adapt into a bottom six NHL role.

Full marks regardless to The Drake for working his way into last cut considerations.

Louis Cypher

Boys are back in town
Jun 11, 2007
If anything, the number of regular season games should be reduced. It prevents wear-and-tear going into the playoffs and makes each game more meaningful.
Never happen. Probably more games will be added so the owners can get more $.

Stud Muffin

Jan 2, 2014
Manitoba
93-97-18
53-29-33
13-19-28 I don't love this line BTW
92-10-90

14-2
25-49
27-51

Philp down just for more playing time and because of waiver eligibility
Brown down because no one will claim him.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
No reason for Cagguila to still be up here this late in the preseason and Nurse-Emberson should be getting reps starting now. Dermott is never going to play with Nurse, that should be more of a Game 3 or 4 preseason pairing, not what is it? Game 7 now? These last two games should be full lineups and where's Lavoie?
No Nurse-Emberson? What in the actual f***?

Reactions: tardigrade81

kevy9999

Mar 10, 2023
Man. that area looks even more resplendent in a few weeks but what a beautiful area. Artists bluff. What detracts from the area though and the piture is all those roads and skihills. How to take a beautiful hillside and kind of wreck it. But all the skiers wouldn't agree.

I'm known to not have much time for this player but he strangely looked better than several others like Podkolzin last game. Not saying I'd keep him at all. At all.

Game 7 has a dramatic feel to it. Heart be still, oh, its still preseason..lol

sorry about me being down on some of the newer players yesterday. It takes me a lot of time to acclimate to new players. Unlike most people I don't like a lot of change.
May I suggest I nice long walk. Things will get better 😁

Reactions: tardigrade81

ChaoticOrange

Jun 29, 2008
Edmonton
93-97-18
53-29-33
13-19-28 I don't love this line BTW
92-10-90

14-2
25-49
27-51

Philp down just for more playing time and because of waiver eligibility
Brown down because no one will claim him.
That line did a lot of damage in the playoffs but their underlying numbers weren't very good. I'd like to see Podkolzin with Henrique and Brown and Janmark playing shutdown hockey with Ryan and Perry (or Philp and Perry)

CanadasTeam99

Jul 22, 2024
No reason for Cagguila to still be up here this late in the preseason and Nurse-Emberson should be getting reps starting now. Dermott is never going to play with Nurse, that should be more of a Game 3 or 4 preseason pairing, not what is it? Game 7 now? These last two games should be full lineups and where's Lavoie?
Who needs to see chemistry between Nurse-Emberson right? I don't know why they do not throw those 2 together the last 2 games.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Starting to get concerned by how much they're playing Josh Brown this pre season.

Coach is giving him every opportunity to show him something before he’s sent to the farm. Not gonna sign a guy for three years and then not give him every opportunity, makes JJ look bad. But I think the writing is on the wall, KK can say he gave him more than a fair crack at sticking, and then he becomes a depth guy to play in certain games.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

syz

[1, 5, 6, 14]
Jul 13, 2007
JBrown still being here even though he shouldn't be really isn't that surprising to me, sadly.

Caggiula is baffling, though. There is 0 chance he's making this team, what are we doing.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad