GDT: Preseason game 6: Sharks @ Vegas 7:00pm stream on sharks.nhl.com

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
If Daniel goes down, it’s a numbers game. He can go down without fear of being claimed. Will the Sharks take that chance with others? I’m not sure if this is about the fans holding Wars to account.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Every team preaches this at every training camp and fans take it at face value. The truth is contract status and waiver eligibility determine 99% of roster decisions.

I'm sure Gushchin (+ Graf, Cardwell and Cagnoni) has improved his standing within the org for future call-ups so I'm not saying camp is completely meaningless but it's also insane that anyone acts like 2 weeks of September hockey should overrule years and years of past performance.

If it were up to me I would dump Kostin and put Gushchin on the opening night roster but I can also understand why the front office would value KK's size and experience. At the end of the day, whether or not someone makes the opening night roster is just not that serious. There will certainly be injuries, likely early on, that will open up a spot for Gushchin.
I think it isn’t a big deal for bigger players and former first rounders. They get chances upon chances until they burn out at 26. Small guys and later rounders like Gushchin, this may be the only shot to stick in an NHL lineup his entire career.

It also isn’t just two weeks of performance. He’s been improving every year since he was drafted and was one of the best AHL players in the league last year. This isn’t just a one time event. He’s been consistently good for years

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
If Daniel goes down, it’s a numbers game. He can go down without fear of being claimed. Will the Sharks take that chance with others? I’m not sure if this is about the fans holding Wars to account.

Frankly, who going down instead of Goose is worth crying over? Am I supposed to be disappointed if Grundstom or Givani Smith get claimed?

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
I think it isn’t a big deal for bigger players and former first rounders. They get chances upon chances until they burn out at 26. Small guys and later rounders like Gushchin, this may be the only shot to stick in an NHL lineup his entire career.

It also isn’t just two weeks of performance. He’s been improving every year since he was drafted and was one of the best AHL players in the league last year. This isn’t just a one time event. He’s been consistently good for years
Yeah but guys like Kunin, Goodrow and Dellandrea who people seem willing to throw overboard to accommodate Gushchin have extensive NHL track records. That carries a lot more weight than anything Gush has done in the AHL.

Kcoyote3

Half-wall Hockey - link below!
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2012
www.half-wallhockey.com
Yeah but guys like Kunin, Goodrow and Dellandrea who people seem willing to throw overboard to accommodate Gushchin have extensive NHL track records. That carries a lot more weight than anything Gush has done in the AHL.
Just one of G. Smith who is essentially an AHL/NHL tweener or Kostin who we got for free last deadline.

Reactions: weastern bias

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Just one of G. Smith who is essentially an AHL/NHL tweener or Kostin who we got for free last deadline.
Those guys are probably the 13th and 14th forwards right now though. If Gush makes the team he's likely bumping one of Grundstrom, Dellandrea, Sturm, Goodrow or Kunin (unlikely it would be one of the last two) out of the actual lineup and those players have all proven to be useful bottom six forwards over several NHL seasons. It's not unreasonable to weigh that more heavily than Gushchin's AHL track record and preseason performance.

Cas

Conversational Black Hole
Sponsor
Jun 23, 2020
I wouldn't have the slightest hesitation dumping any of Givani Smith, Kostin, Kunin, Grundstrom, Goodrow, or Sturm - they're a collection of 12th-14th forwards or worse (Smith probably would be AHL fodder on even a mediocre team) who will not be part of the next good Sharks team. Some of them wouldn't even be claimed anyway.

Reactions: Star Platinum

one2gamble

Dec 24, 2007
Those guys are probably the 13th and 14th forwards right now though. If Gush makes the team he's likely bumping one of Grundstrom, Dellandrea, Sturm, Goodrow or Kunin (unlikely it would be one of the last two) out of the actual lineup
He's been playing better hockey than all of them

• Love
Reactions: Sandisfan

DCFog81

Jul 7, 2024
Oh, okay. That's why VGK keeps trading away their draft picks
1000003712.jpg

Sharkz4Fun

Feb 8, 2023
I'm still utterly jiggered as to what Warsofsky sees in Smith.
I read this without reading the quoted post and thought you were talking about Will, which still works. Gushchin is a better player by far today, yet the other is guaranteed a top 9 spot.

If I'm Gushchin though I request a trade for sure now. Guy will get guaranteed top 6 minutes on at least 20 other teams opening night. Has not only shown in every single NHL game he's played that he looks like a complete NHLer, but also came into camp and dominated which is exactly what they said to do. If Grier/Warso's plan is to dump their entire youth movement into only Celebrini/Smith, it won't be long before the rest of the younger guys become soured like Bordeleau and now Gushchin.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sandisfan

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad