GDT: Preseason Game 6, Canucks at Oilers beer leager. Sportsnet 7PM

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Wow, how does this thread have 824 posts?
I saw 10 minutes of the game in the 2nd period and had to bail. My Detroit Lions were on so it made it easier to bail but....kudos to you guys, that's some true dedication.

Oilslick941611

Jul 4, 2006
Ottawa
Saying Brown was awful in the playoffs is a joke. As soon as he got healthy late in the season he played fantastic.
Someone pissed in his cornflakes last night, dude showed up pissed during the 3rd and spent the rest of night shitting on Skinner and Arvidsson and moved to Connor Brown when no one backed him up. Sad to see really, so much anger and shit talking.

because this game was on TV and more people watched
And it was a pretty fun game, especially the 3rd.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Brett Kulak really really looks a cut above the group tonight. He's really ready for the season.

Stetcher and Dermot have looked solid as well.
Perhaps the most underrated Oiler for 3 years running. Guy has been anchoring 3rd pairs, some of the best 3rd pairings in the league, with a revolving door of D partners his whole time here and is even better in the playoffs. It's why I cringe when I see trade talk of him, I'd look to re-sign him for a few years if anything.

joestevens29

Apr 30, 2009
Perhaps the most underrated Oiler for 3 years running. Guy has been anchoring 3rd pairs, some of the best 3rd pairings in the league, with a revolving door of D partners his whole time here and is even better in the playoffs. It's why I cringe when I see trade talk of him, I'd look to re-sign him for a few years if anything.
The reason for this is because don't really ever recognize the small things in a game that a guy like Kulak does. He's also not flashy so he never really makes the highlight reels, but one bad mistake and he gets crucified.

Lot's of defensive players have this issue with their fans.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
The reason for this is because don't really ever recognize the small things in a game that a guy like Kulak does. He's also not flashy so he never really makes the highlight reels, but one bad mistake and he gets crucified.

Lot's of defensive players have this issue with their fans.
Yep, there's a lot of truth to this.

Reactions: joestevens29

GOilers88

#FreeMoustacheRides
Dec 24, 2016
No its not. Viktor Arvidsson is a hardworker. He's very strong along the boards and is a pest. We saw it when he was on LA. He's not going to go fully 100% in preseason. Wait until the season starts first

Damn you guys are already ripping up Jeff Skinner lol
Remember when Ty Rattie lit up the preseason? That's what needs to happen or people will decide players are already no good. Because preseason is such a solid predictor of future success.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
Saying Brown was awful in the playoffs is a joke. As soon as he got healthy late in the season he played fantastic.
Go back in threads in the first 3 series and everyvbody is saying the same thing. Your take is revisionist backtrack based on 3 games in the Final where Brown played well. He didn't even play well in half of the games in the final. Even at that his good play was comprised of pk. He was generally bad at Evens. Or at best ineffective and not producing a dime. My trust and support of players is not unconditional. It need be earned, and it isn't earned just on isolated play in one unit or in one series. The vast majority of the time here Connor Brown has been a ghost. Its expected this will change. If it does then Brown will earn some leash.

Connor Brown was also healthy scratched 3 of the playoff games lending me to think even the coaching staff do not think the Oilers were getting much out of the player. The pk in those games, without Connor Brown was still as good.

Connor Brown said he was healthy, 100% over a year ago when the Oilers acquired him. By his own statement he was fully recovered. Its odd how he revisited that statement and made injury or health an excuse all season. Could be he was just floating.

You won't change his opinion of Brown.
Only Brown can change the opinion. He hasn't come close to that. But every poster here has players they have faith in, and those they don't.

CupofOil

Knob Flavored Coffey
Aug 20, 2009
NYC
Go back in threads in the first 3 series and everyvbody is saying the same thing. Your take is revisionist backtrack based on 3 games in the Final where Brown played well. He didn't even play well in half of the games in the final. Even at that his good play was comprised of pk. He was generally bad at Evens. Or at best ineffective and not producing a dime. My trust and support of players is not unconditional. It need be earned, and it isn't earned just on isolated play in one unit or in one series. The vast majority of the time here Connor Brown has been a ghost. Its expected this will change. If it does then Brown will earn some leash.

Connor Brown was also healthy scratched 3 of the playoff games lending me to think even the coaching staff do not think the Oilers were getting much out of the player. The pk in those games, without Connor Brown was still as good.

Connor Brown said he was healthy, 100% over a year ago when the Oilers acquired him. By his own statement he was fully recovered. Its odd how he revisited that statement and made injury or health an excuse all season. Could be he was just floating.
Brown was excellent most of the playoffs and the latter portion of the regular season for that matter when it really mattered, the difference in his play was night and day right there for everybody to see. I don't know why you're choosing to die on this hill.

I respect you as a poster but with this and the "Arvidsson is done" posts, I just can't get on board with what you're seeing here with either guy.

Jimmi McJenkins

Sometimes miracles
Jan 12, 2006
Alberta
Brown was excellent most of the playoffs and the latter portion of the regular season for that matter when it really mattered, the difference in his play was night and day right there for everybody to see. I don't know why you're choosing to die on this hill.

I respect you as a poster but with this and the "Arvidsson is done" posts, I just can't get on board with what you're seeing here with either guy.
Just let him scream at clouds. I'm impressed he even knows who still on the team at this point.

Reactions: smokersarejokers

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I saw 10 minutes of the game in the 2nd period and had to bail. My Detroit Lions were on so it made it easier to bail but....kudos to you guys, that's some true dedication.

Because the guy who created it made such an outstanding thread? :huh:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
I see the usual suspects have already made their minds up about Skinner and will absolutely rag on him all year, no matter what he does. Much like with Connor Brown last year.
What has Jeff Skinner done here to deserve even being in the starting roster?

What has Connor Brown or Perry done to be on it? Why is Ryan still on it.

My dislike of players that are just brought in here to be placeholders is well enough founded. The same practice prevents the team from granting its own prospects any further roles. Worse, a team that is old and slow and getting older is barring out the addition of useful players with fresh legs like Savoie, Lavoie, Philp etc.

Strange how people really think Connor Brown has earned respect and trust here. It was the play of guys like Connor Brown that almost had us fall out of playoff contention a year ago. Apparently he spent the entire season being in a funk. The only reason that you would bring in vets is to have them hit the ground running. Such players are SUPPOSED to be plug and play. Its the prospects that require time and opportunity. Apparently these are horrendous takes.

Its never been more important after a real short offseason for the Oilers to be dressing young legs and not waiving players like Lavoie or losing other prospects.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.
It was the only game on local TV. the only preseason game televised. So many more eyes were viewing it. Many of the illegal streams have been shutdown and people are required to get Oilers+ to view the games. So for many the games haven't been seen. In some of the games its been possible to watch the out of town feed. But just having a game on the bigscreen felt like something again. People are jonesing for some hockey.

Reactions: brentashton

Zerotonine

Apr 23, 2017
I fking live Kulak, definitely underrated. Easily one of the best playoff performers the last 3 seasons

Drivesaitl

Finding Hemingway
Oct 8, 2017
Islands in the stream.

Brown was not excellent unless the bar set for him is ridiculously low. I'm not a fan of the club just airlifting in, and keeping old injured legs instead of just giving their prospects big roles as other teams do. In Dallas for instance i was huge for that team to give young studs some starring roles. That gave Dallas some jump. I do think thats the better approach and as a team, you get more out of the fresher legs in playoffs. Indeed on many nights it was what Dallas got.

The Oilers beat them obviously because we have generational McD and Drai and Hyman playing out of his mind. Those players were excellent.

If you said Brown was useful and had a niche role that I can accept. But a sole pk role tends not to be that hard to replace. its the easiest unit to replace. Brown wasn't brought in here just to be a one role player. I haven't liked his EV game.

Old Boys Club

Anita Max Wynn
Nov 3, 2013
Thought VD looked really bad last night. oilers forecheck was targeting his side on dump ins because they know he’s a poor puck mover.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad