GDT: Preseason Game 5: Red Wings at penguins 10/1/24 7pm et

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
The game was an expected crap fest as far as team play with most of our lineup being AHL and kids.

That said:

-I thought Viro and Wallinder looked pretty good as far as skating and decision making are concerned. I think Viro seemed to be making the most smart reads in our end.
-I continue just like last year to be impressed by the skating and puck skill of Soderblom and just like Ken mentioned during the game, it would be nice if he could just find some meanness to his game. I think he is definitely going to be an NHL player at some point, question is, will it be a 4th liner who plays just a little or will he get tougher and be a gem.
-Danielson had a bad first half of the game as it looked like he was avoiding plays and getting close to other players making me wonder about him, and then in the second half of the game he started getting involved, and the first half being withdrawn for lack of a better word went away. I still wasn't blown away, apart from 2 or 3 really smart plays, he didn't jump out at me like Kasper did in the first preseason game we had. His goal at the end was very nice and very skill, so my not being blown away is more to do with there are lots of shifts where he doesn't really stand out like you would hope for.
-AlJo continues to me to not really stand out as I noticed Viro and Wallinder much more last night. Not sure what kind of D he is, as while he isn't terrible, he reminds me right now of a much better skating Gustav Lindstrom. Lindstrom did a lot of not much out there, and I guess that is how I feel watching AlJo.
-Veleno is what he is at this point, it is clear to me, he isn't going to be anything more than a 4th liner who can fill in on other lines during injuries, but won't be doing much of any really difference making. Kind of disappointed as I like him, was hoping he would find a next step. Last night would have been a good time to show it as he was one of the few vet forwards out there.
-Motte had a really good game, I liked his compete and he made lots of good little plays, and looks like a good PK option.
-Watson is nothing special, but I hope he gets a contract as we have no other forwards beside Fischer who will get into it if need be.
-Husso was very good last night, but he was terrible his first game on the goals against, so I don't know what to think.
-MBN was just ok to me last night, nothing bad, but nothing really great either.
-Tuomisto didn't look like a future NHL player to me, he was just kind of there.
-Hunter Johanness?, looks like he has some jam to his game, although not really stand out great in any other way.
-Lombardi has great puck skill on display on his goal and 2-4 other times, but his size and the hit he took where he put himself in a bad spot, make me think his effectiveness at the NHL level will be short lived and possibly him getting hurt a lot, unless be bulks up a lot. I think he will eventually get NHL games, but his size is definitely going to hurt him, if he doesn't learn to pick his spots.

Wanted to add that MBN did 10 out of 10 on his Marty Frk impression twice last night. I couldn't believe that Micky said it, literally 5 seconds after I was saying to myself that looks like Frk out there, and then Micky said the same thing, hahaha! Like the one was 15 feet wide at least.

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
I'll save my good, bad and ugly for the regular season, and try to be all sunshine.

Husso - First star. WOW, he was GREAT.
MBN - No reason for that guy to go back to the SEL unless it is a maturity, save the body while adding mass thing.
Ajo - Was he not the best D man on the ice for Detroit?
Wallinder - That guy looks like he will make it as well.
Nate - How about this for a camp. You have Kane and Tarasenko on your wings and play center against Crosby and Malkin. From Juniors to this is an amazingly difficult transition.
Watson - Hope he clears or sticks.

ROSTER - Kenny and Mick were laying out that all vet, no rookie lineup (other than Ed and Ajo). Without moving a few vets, it looks like they will stack GR this season.

Mickey - He was definitely in off season form last night. I don't think he had a stat, historical or current, correct all night. Someone get that guy a space heater and heated clothing, including gloves. Ken Daniels - No one better.

I enjoyed Micky immensely last night. He was one of the few things going for that dud of a game.

newfy

Jul 28, 2010
No, I'm assuming dinger is like me, and just wants to see someone pummel that rat fink piece of shit.
Watson fights quite a bit, but his value is more being a bowling ball and crushing guys. He fights tough guys and is always willing but he doesnt win a whole lot of the time. I probably wouldnt bet on him against Tkachuk, plus they played together for 3 years in Ottawa so hes probably got a lot of buddies on that team.

I like the idea of him as the 13th forward and a physical guy, but dont get your hopes up for him tuning a bunch of tough guys

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad