GDT: Preseason Game 5. Kraken @ Oilers beer leaguer. Streaming on Oilers+ at 7 pm

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
Even if other teams have 2 Lavoies, the Oilers don’t.

Stauffer is so weird. For a guy who loves bigger players, not sure I have ever heard of him say much positive about Lavoie. He barely even mentions him.

Not sure that 5 mins is wrong about Perry though. I wouldn’t be surprised if hes basically a lock to make the team. Whether its the leadership core, old management or new management, someone is enamoured with vets. This team shouldn’t need players like Perry, Keith etc anymore.

We will see how it plays out. I don’t think players like Perry/Ryan should be holding back younger players though when they show promise and are showing to be ready.

McDoused

Feb 5, 2007
Katy <3
Sorry that I don’t know the 3000 or so players that make up the NHL and its minor and Jr teams off by heart and in perfect detail to give you an instant list at your demand.

It’s a generalization I am making. Could he get picked off waivers? Sure maybe. Just in MY OPINION I don’t think he does.

As I said above let’s see what happens.

I’m not trying to debate you but you’re looking for a great big W I guess so you can have it if you want. Have a great night.

Yeah I'm not going to touch that. I never asked for 3,000 people. I just asked a simple question and now you're acting unreasonable.

It's pretty simple. You said that every team has 1-2 guys like Lavoie. I asked who? You replied asking me to do all the work because youre lazy (or already know that your claim is unsubstantiated). I pointed to a bunch of teams that don't have guys like Lavoie and counter your claim.

Their was never any debate here. You're entitled to your opinion if Lavoie would clear or not but that wasn't the argument. I specially asked why people (yourself included) keep saying this even though it that just isn't true.

Thomas Tatar

Stauffer is so weird. For a guy who loves bigger players, not sure I have ever heard of him say much positive about Lavoie. He barely even mentions him.

Not sure that 5 mins is wrong about Perry though. I wouldn’t be surprised if hes basically a lock to make the team. Whether its the leadership core, old management or new management, someone is enamoured with vets. This team shouldn’t need players like Perry, Keith etc anymore.

We will see how it plays out. I don’t think players like Perry/Ryan should be holding back younger players though when they show promise and are showing to be ready.
I don’t disagree with you, about Perry. But Ryan has played well enough in pre-season to block a prospect. Based on everything else being equal, the vet should get the starting role.

Perry on the other hand, well I think they should mutually agree to terminate his contract and then let Katz play him 1.4 million to be an assistant coach or player development coach. A position that sees him around the team but that doesn’t expose him to playing actual NhL games. Guy just doesn’t have it anymore.

smokersarejokers

Jul 7, 2005

Derek Ryan's played well though.

Heavy Dee

May 29, 2005
I think Perry has been guaranteed a spot on the roster no matter what.

I’m not sure many young players like Lavoie have been poached off Stanley Cup winners as you describe. I tried thinking of who got claimed in waivers off cup winners Florida, Vegas, Tampa and Colorado, and none come to mind.

Most cup winners usually are poaching vets like Perry enroute to winning cups.
All Perry has done is lose in cup finals the last 4 years. The guy is a bum.

Fourier

Dec 29, 2006
Waterloo Ontario
Because this happens every single year where a home team fans worry about a tweener getting picked off waivers. Plus I can make the same claim as you but in reverse, place Lavoie in a list of the 60 of his closest peers from other teams and is he on top or in the top 5? Dont know the other teams prospects? Well then your writing cheques you can’t cash! ;)

I’m just saying teams value their own similar prospects more than other teams similar prospects as they have invested a lot into them. Unless a similar prospect is head and shoulders above theirs teams usually stick with their own.

Remember Lavoie would have to be on an NHL roster and a team willing to use one of their 50 roster spots on him.

Let’s see how he does in the final few games but I see enough flaws in his game (see the Curlock article I posted above) that players his age and talent level cannot make in the bigs as coaches lose trust fast. Has a helluva shot and lots of upside but so do plenty of other teams 23-24 year olds.
The problem with Lavoie is that his go to skill is the one skill the vast majority of these tweener prospects lack. He can legitimately score. He finished top 10 in the AHL last year in goals despite playing on a team that was far from and offensive juggernaut. And if you look at the top 10 only about 4 of those guys are still prospects. Most are career AHL'ers whose game is lacking in some aspect, often NHL size being a key issue. Lavoie is 6'4" and 216 lbs. There are 1/2 a dozen teams in the league that could easily find a spot for him to see what he has.

He was a legitimate 1st round talent who fell due to concerns about his work ethic. Those seem to be gone. The Oilers will need cheap talent in the next couple of years. They can't really afford to waste guys like this without seeing what they have.

That would be THE most monumentally shortsighted move our team has made in a decade…. And that’s saying something.

Surely a cap constrained contender can’t be considering foregoing $4.5M in accrued deadline cap space just to save Lavoie, can they?!?
Putting Kane on LTIR does not end the chance of accruing cap space. They could add Lavoie LTIR Kane and then after a few games send someone down. Once they are below their new ceiling they can again accrue space. It just gives the a but longer to iron out the roster.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad