GDT: Preseason Game 5 - Habs vs Sens 7pm Est TSN & RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
There is something to what you are saying.
Dunno the team doesn't look that small. The fact is Laine got injured because he tried to deck a player who was barely good enough for the AHL. We have all been there and done that. When a high skill player try to deck a low skill player (there's almost two level of hockey of difference between Laine - top 6 NHL - and Paré - botttom 6 AHL-) often the low skill player wont be fast enough and a incidental contact will occur. It was not rare to see that in beer league back in the day when the level of hockey was all over the place. That would have happened with Nilan, Probert and Dave Shultz in the lienup.

Habby4Life

First pick overall goes to the Montreal Canadiens
Nov 12, 2008
Roy getting a look.
No first line out there.
Hutson made the team
Kapanen trying out Dvorak's wing. could be a test with Dach on the 2nd line later

Roy - maybe we will see him tonight. The guy has been invisible this camp, and looks totally disinterested, like he thinks he is a lock.

If he keeps it up, send him down and keep Tuch.

Reactions: Habano

Trabdy2

Nov 30, 2018
Seeing Armia and Roy on Dach's wing probably means this is their "audition" for who starts with Dach and Newhook on the 2nd line. Fearless prediction: Armia looks better tonight.

Reactions: Habano and Eegs

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
There is something to what you are saying.
This became apparent to me year 1 when we graduated all those rookie D.
MSL will get the most out of his players on a regular basis.
The tradeoff is we have to play Balls to the Wall Hockey to be even remotely competitive.
The good teams can win while still taking the Day off. Tampa did that to us regularly.
I used to laugh when people said we are playing well we are in the game.
They would dial it up for about ten minutes and we were done.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Not even a second line with 3 fourth lines... fun times.
This will test our Dmen's abiity to keep a clean sheet for sure.

Pezz make sure you run Stutzle so they can goon it up in Ottawa when we try to prepare our final roster. :sarcasm:

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
This became apparent to me year 1 when we graduated all those rookie D.
MSL will get the most out of his players on a regular basis.
The tradeoff is we have to play Balls to the Wall Hockey to be even remotely competitive.
The good teams can win while still taking the Day off. Tampa did that to us regularly.
I used to laugh when people said we are playing well we are in the game.
They would dial it up for about ten minutes and we were done.
💯

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Dunno the team doesn't look that small. The fact is Laine got injured because he tried to deck a player who was barely good enough for the AHL. We have all been there and done that. When a high skill player try to deck a low skill player (there's almost two level of hockey of difference between Laine - top 6 NHL - and Paré - botttom 6 AHL-) often the low skill player wont be fast enough and a incidental contact will occur. It was not rare to see that in beer league back in the day when the level of hockey was all over the place. That would have happened with Nilan, Probert and Dave Shultz in the lienup.
This is true.
If I'm telling the truth I think that zone entry was destined to fail long before he hit the blue line.
It reminded me of a team on offense trying to run it up the gut against 11 men in the box.
In other words not a very bright play call he had to maneuver around three pylons.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
Quite disappointed that we only have a couple games left and we don't have a near complete lineup hitting the ice. If we were firing on all cylinders I could see it but we haven't be in sync most of the preseason.
There is always a Habs injured in the Sens pre-season games, I think management decided to limit its best players to the last game of pre-season to reduce the chance of losing someone important after the game against the Leafs.

Reactions: LaP

Adam Michaels

Jun 12, 2016
Montreal
Not crazy about our line-up. You'd like to see most of your line-up with 2 preseason games left. Now that it's not the case, here are my takeaways from the line-up:

- Roy and Armia are auditioning for a Top-6 role at the same time.
- Heineman is getting a look to maybe earn a spot on the 4th line with Evans and Gallagher.
- Kapanen is getting a chance to earn a spot on a 3rd line on the wing, centered by Dvorak (possibly wity Anderson as the other winger).
- ABB getting another look seeing as RHP is out hurt and it might offer an opportunity for him.

Reactions: Redux91 and Deebs

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
There is always a Habs injured in the Sens pre-season games, I think management decided to limit its best players to the last game of pre-season to reduce the chance of losing someone important after the game against the Leafs.
We can't play scared though. We have had no cohesion whatsoever this preseason and this was another opportunity to build some. Disappointing

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This is true.
If I'm telling the truth I think that zone entry was destined to fail long before he hit the blue line.
It reminded me of a team on offense trying to run it up the gut against 11 men in the box.
In other words not a very bright play call he had to maneuver around three pylons.
It would have been fine against a NHL player. Like you said the entry was destined to fail but the NHL player would have been fast enough to hit him with the shoulder and not the leg. But Pare has been wobbling between the ECHL and AHL for a while. It looks like he finally was able to establish himself as a depth AHL player last season but he's certainly not among the top half of AHL talent he barely belong in the league. Like you said basically a pylon so Laine should have taken it easy but i guess he wanted to impress his new fans which is understandable. It sucks but it is what it is he was always a gamble.

Not sure i get the team is small thing though. Suzuki is average height for an offensive center. Slaf is big, Dach is big, Demidov size is fine for skilled winger. There's Caufield and Newhook but that's two player. The rest of the prospects are average size or bigger for the most part. The dmen are rather big outside of Hutson. The team lacks grit no doubt about it but that's something that can be addressed on the trade market or via free agency later on and young teams pretty much always lack grit that's usually something you build as you grow older and the frustation builds up.

It's crazy how two weeks ago everyone was on cloud 9 and two pre-season losts and the building is on fire. That's the hab fans i know :laugh:

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
It would have been fine against a NHL player. Like you said the entry was destined to fail but the NHL player would have been fast enough to hit him with the shoulder and not the leg. But Pare has been wobbling between the ECHL and AHL for a while. It looks like he finally was able to establish himself as a depth AHL player last season but he's certainly not among the top half of AHL talent he barely belong in the league. Like you said basically a pylon so Laine should have taken it easy but i guess he wanted to impress his new fans which is understandable. It sucks but it is what it is he was always a gamble.

Not sure i get the team is small thing though. Suzuki is average height for an offensive center. Slaf is big, Dach is big, Demidov size is fine for skilled winger. There's Caufield and Newhook but that's two player. The rest of the prospects are average size or bigger for the most part. The dmen are rather big outside of Hutson. The team lacks grit no doubt about it but that's something that can be addressed on the trade market or via free agency later on and young teams pretty much always lack grit that's usually something you build as you grow older and the frustation builds up.

It's crazy how two weeks ago everyone was on cloud 9 and two pre-season losts and the building is on fire. That's the hab fans i know :laugh:
This team plays small of that there can be no doubt.

LaP

Jun 27, 2012
Quebec City, Canada
This team plays small of that there can be no doubt.
The Nords were also playing small when they were rebuilding in the early 90ies. But they had skills. It's way easier to solve a lack of grit than a lack of skills. Grit is available every year on the UFA market or at the deadline. Prime skill is very rarely available outside the draft.

OneSharpMarble

Oct 30, 2007
Calgary
Getting pushed around and out muscled by a AHL team makes it hard to watch. Probably give these games a miss until something worth watching comes up.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
The Nords were also playing small when they were rebuilding in the early 90ies. But they had skills. It's way easier to solve a lack of grit than a lack of skills. Grit is available every year on the UFA market or at the deadline. Prime skill is very rarely available outside the draft.
I'm not arguing that and never have. I've been on record for a number of years stating the same thing.
Our role players are not up to snuff too soft too easy to play against and what kills me most is people want to keep them.
The lack of grit is easy to solve and it should have been solved to some extent.
"Oh you can do that later" meanwhile the talent is getting harassed and the better they get the more it will happen.

Reactions: LaP

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
Not crazy about our line-up. You'd like to see most of your line-up with 2 preseason games left. Now that it's not the case, here are my takeaways from the line-up:

- Roy and Armia are auditioning for a Top-6 role at the same time.
- Heineman is getting a look to maybe earn a spot on the 4th line with Evans and Gallagher.
- Kapanen is getting a chance to earn a spot on a 3rd line on the wing, centered by Dvorak (possibly wity Anderson as the other winger).
- ABB getting another look seeing as RHP is out hurt and it might offer an opportunity for him.
I think the catastrophic results of Saturday nights game have sort of kind of made us a lil more cautious for these next couple preseason games..

Normally I'd be a lil more peeved about it too but.. not this time anyway

Reactions: Adam Michaels

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad