GDT: Preseason Game 4: Kraken @ Oilers - 6:00 PM PDT, KHN, Kong

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
1st period thoughts.

Sale: This is the best I have ever seen him look (very limited viewings). Really hoping he can build confidence off this.

Melanson: He has looked good as well. His size, physicality and net front presence is something that will be good in a 4th line role. He also has some skill to boot.

Winterton: I think kid will be a solid middle-6 player for us. Not this season, but certainly down the road. That pass for the Sale goal was really good.

Gru: He has not looked good again. At this time, I guess he may be a buyout candidate next season if we want to re-sign Daccord.

Teams have matched up well so far. Rosters looks fairly even though I would definitely give them an edge on D. We don't have Dunn or Montour and they have Ekholm and Bouchard.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Even after this season Gru has 2 years left at 5.9 M...that would be a tough pill to swallow if they buy him out...I'd be thinking there will teams out there looking for a Goaltender and in the right Atmosphere he'd do well...

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Thought I would see my first pre-season game, but it turns out my outlet isn't carrying it. Glad to hear Sale got a goal.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Even after this season Gru has 2 years left at 5.9 M...that would be a tough pill to swallow if they buy him out...I'd be thinking there will teams out there looking for a Goaltender and in the right Atmosphere he'd do well...
No one is touching Grubauer's contract. And there is no way I am letting Daccord walk because we have no one in our organization who is ready for NHL minutes. Kokko may be in a year or two, but not next season.

Just to be clear, I think we can carry both . Daccord's new contract shouldn't be too crazy. Cap hit of around 6M maybe. We have multiple expensive players, who are not part of the core, off the books over the next 2 seasons. As long as the kids can start stepping in, and it looks very much that they will, we can make it work. Just won't have much cap flexibility, like this year.

Reactions: RayMartyniukTotems

sigma six

Doesn't need stick tape
Aug 2, 2005
Cascadia
Watching from Port Townsend, the team has looked a bit better in each game. The parts I've seen at least...more cohesive. Nice to see Sale get one, am a doubter of his but there's plenty of time to prove me wrong.

Reactions: Fistfullofbeer

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Watching from Port Townsend, the team has looked a bit better in each game. The parts I've seen at least...more cohesive. Nice to see Sale get one, am a doubter of his but there's plenty of time to prove me wrong.
I am a big doubter too. A game like this gives me hope but he has a long way to go. It definitely looks like he is going to CV this season and I feel like the coaching will help him a lot more than what he was getting in the WHL. Plus he gets to live close to one of his countrymen.

Reactions: sigma six

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
I wouldn’t be sad if Gru wasn’t here next year. Not enough “playoff Gru” and too much “Seymour Goals Gru”.
I don't think many of us will be sad if he is gone. Not many options, though. He has a 10 team NTC, has 2 more years at 5.9M AAV and has a sub 0.900SV% over the last 3 seasons. He will either require a massive sweetener or pulling of a 3-team trade for 2 x 50% retention. The other option ofcourse is the buyout.

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
Gru has had his moments as a Kraken just not enough of them...I kind of feel for the guy but its Sports and it can be ruthless

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
You know when Gru is struggling...he goes down way too early instead of challenging the shooter or biting on the shot and being left out to dry on the easy tip in...ala Podkolzin

During the Preseason I personally rather watch the youngsters play and save the vets for the Regular season/Playoffs

RayMartyniukTotems

Jul 8, 2022
All the games I've watched so far has me believing that there should be more NHL teams I hopeful Quebec city gets their team as well as Houston and Atlanta for the 3rd time and maybe Milwaukee or San Diego...then maybe they can add some other teams to make 40 NHL clubs with 32 play-offs spots...Cincinnati,KC, and Hamilton...

Sorry I kind of went off on the Tangent...Kraken have some terrific youngsters coming up through the ranks in no time...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad