GDT: Preseason game #2 Habs vs Devils 7PM ET RDS

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Deebs

Without you, everything falls apart
Feb 5, 2014
It’s not when he’s the worst +/- for forwards on the team by a good bit. I understand that +/- isn’t a great stat, especially for a bad team. But when he’s getting 13 minutes a night it’s extremely telling that he’s a net negative. The eyes test supports it as well, his conditioning was not NHL caliber whatsoever.
If most on the team went as hard as Gally did every shift, they'd be tired after 30-40 seconds as well lol. Gally as a 3rd/4th liner is not an issue at the moment.

Reactions: Vachon23

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If most on the team went as hard as Gally did every shift, they'd be tired after 30-40 seconds as well lol. Gally as a 3rd/4th liner is not an issue at the moment.
That play style is not durable as we have seen and others can easily replace him for a fraction of the cost.

Essenege

Oct 5, 2019
It’s not when he’s the worst +/- for forwards on the team by a good bit. I understand that +/- isn’t a great stat, especially for a bad team. But when he’s getting 13 minutes a night it’s extremely telling that he’s a net negative. The eyes test supports it as well, his conditioning was not NHL caliber whatsoever.

Gally is the amongst the very few forwards on the team with positive expected goal differential last year. Worst on ice puck luck of his career as per advanced stats.

SannywithoutCompy

Dec 22, 2020
I don't understand the hate that Gallagher gets. Don't blame him for taking a contract for past performance like any human being would do.

He had a rough start last year but finished strong and he seems to be in much better shape this year.

overlords

#DefundCBC
Aug 16, 2008
The City
I don't understand the hate that Gallagher gets. Don't blame him for taking a contract for past performance like any human being would do.

He had a rough start last year but finished strong and he seems to be in much better shape this year.

I think people would speak differently about him if he were aging into the more quiet, wise and effective leader type, rather than rabid napoleon complex type who flips out all the time. Just my 0.02.

morhilane

Feb 28, 2021
+/- has always been a great stat that's why they keep it.
It's a team stat and sure you will have occasions when you don't deserve the ding but truthfully what is the percentage of times that is actually the case.
I always look at the +/- compared to everyone on the team and relative to their 5v5 TOI. If someone is -20 and plays 10 minutes when everyone else on the team is at worst -5. That guy is a negative in his own zone.

That example doesn't apply to Gallagher, but in the first half last season, he was too often on the ice at the end of a hard game and out of gas. Lead to a goal against or stupid penalties. Marty ended up realizing it a some point thought. Gallagher just need to be used properly to what he can give now.

Reactions: Naslund and Rapala

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017

I think he symbolizes to some people what the last regime was all about. Hard work over "talent", grind deez guys and whatnot...

It's not really his fault but then you add in that he has declined significantly, where the fans will inherently shit on on anyone when that time comes.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
I always look at the +/- compared to everyone on the team and relative to their 5v5 TOI. If someone is -20 and plays 10 minutes when everyone else on the team is at worst -5. That guy is a negative in his own zone.

That example doesn't apply to Gallagher, but in the first half last season, he was too often on the ice at the end of a hard game and out of gas. Lead to a goal against or stupid penalties. Marty ended up realizing it a some point thought. Gallagher just need to be used properly to what he can give now.
Bottom line hockey is was and always will be a game of mistakes including misusing personnel.
Most goals happen because of compounded mistakes and it's what differentiates good teams from bad.
We haven't a team who can consistently recover from gaffes when that changes so will our fortunes.

Reactions: morhilane

jrom

Mar 28, 2022
I'd like to see Kapanen centering a line with actual NHLers now ( both ABB and Heineman have some NHL experience, but you know what I mean), just to see what he can do in that setting. Sure looks real promising. If they feel like giving him a second game in two days, obviously.

I think Heineman looked good because of Kapanen.

I was thinking during the game that maybe Roy + Kapanen together might be smart enough to make Anderson produce

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad