GDT: Preseason Game 2: 9/24 - New York Islanders @ New York Rangers - 7pm ET , MSG

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Tob

Sep 16, 2017
It's still preseason and preseason vets sometimes take a while to get going or simply don't give it their all. I wouldn't place the bet based on name power. I would probably play the under/over instead.
Good advice. Thanks. New to this thing.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
In one of the pressers when Laviolette said about it being a new year and a new team, I found it pretty funny when, after I think being asked a related question, he begins to list the new areas / players around this years team. When he actually has to come up with them, he lists Riley Smith and then questions surrounding Fil Chytil and KAM maybe getting a bigger role.

For a team supposedly going for it? I was genuinely staggered adding Smith was the main and real only move of the summer. And us being the Rangers with a history of moves (be them good or bad) I was only more surprised.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
In one of the pressers when Laviolette said about it being a new year and a new team, I found it pretty funny when, after I think being asked a related question, he begins to list the new areas / players around this years team. When he actually has to come up with them, he lists Riley Smith and then questions surrounding Fil Chytil and KAM maybe getting a bigger role.

For a team supposedly going for it? I was genuinely staggered adding Smith was the main and real only move of the summer. And us being the Rangers with a history of moves (be them good or bad) I was only more surprised.

I don't think we needed to do all that much.

FWIW the Rangers IMO are entering a period over the next 3/4 years where they'll be able to do a lot of replacing from within. It's better if a team can do that because just for one free agency tends to be too expensive and more often than not if you sign a free agent from another team for a long term by the end of that term that player because he's aging out is going to be on some kind of decline.

Replacing from within especially with younger players still on their first ELC contracts will help a team manage the cap in a much more efficient way. For us the Rempe's, Edstrom's, Othmann's, Berard's---playing down in the lineup on cheaper contracts will mean more $'s can be put to our top players. Instead of giving guys like Goodrow $3.3 mil per 6 year term to play 3rd/4th line we have kids that are ready to fit into the same kind of role for much cheaper. We have a number of guys in the next few years that should fit into bottom line roles in our lineup.

Shesterkybomb

Dec 30, 2016

In a way maybe yes but good teams a lot of times are happy with their roster minus a few spots. Say we made a big move and missed playoffs this year, it would be a bad gamble when you can run it back, add a couple pieces, add at the deadline and know you're in a good spot to contend.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
I don't think we needed to do all that much.

FWIW the Rangers IMO are entering a period over the next 3/4 years where they'll be able to do a lot of replacing from within. It's better if a team can do that because just for one free agency tends to be too expensive and more often than not if you sign a free agent from another team for a long term by the end of that term that player because he's aging out is going to be on some kind of decline.

Replacing from within especially with younger players still on their first ELC contracts will help a team manage the cap in a much more efficient way. For us the Rempe's, Edstrom's, Othmann's, Berard's---playing down in the lineup on cheaper contracts will mean more $'s can be put to our top players. Instead of giving guys like Goodrow $3.3 mil per 6 year term to play 3rd/4th line we have kids that are ready to fit into the same kind of role for much cheaper. We have a number of guys in the next few years that should fit into bottom line roles in our lineup.

I don't disagree in the slightest, although, that said, if those dollars are proportioned to the likes of Captain Fantastic at 8 mil on the third pair and a star-ish center who can't seem now to get anything done 5 on 5, the whole thing isn't going to make much difference.

I've always thought this core isn't winning a Cup and doubt I will ever have been happier to be proven wrong if the opposite comes to pass.

GlasgowNewYorkRanger

Dec 7, 2017
In a way maybe yes but good teams a lot of times are happy with their roster minus a few spots. Say we made a big move and missed playoffs this year, it would be a bad gamble when you can run it back, add a couple pieces, add at the deadline and know you're in a good spot to contend.

I was listening to Vince and he said we would have cerca 6 mil. come the deadline as things currently stand. Certainly enough to make some moves, however, I think so much of this squad potential success / effective line combinations depend in having a fit Chytil.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad