GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
The 2023 draft was considered historically good and some other great prospects like Perreault, Cowan, Nadeau, and Brindley were also drafted in that range.
Yeah so he should be valued similar to those guys. Not as the 15th best prospect in the league according to Elite Prospects.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If you wanted a middle-six mucker instead of Quentin Musty, then you shouldn't have drafted Quentin Musty. You don't draft a guy only to change everything about him that has made him successful up until this point.

I also just don't think that wingers really have enough defensive impact on a game to prohibit a young winger from playing until he's a good two-way player.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Warsofsky said to the media that Musky’s offense shows but his game without the puck needs improvement. He’s not making the Sharks until he develops a B game. Nico Sturm is EXACTLY who he needs to be with on the ice.
Forcing players to change their game completely without allowing them to use their strengths is how you ruin prospects.

Musty will not make the NHL because of his forecheck or “B” game. You put him in positions with skilled players to succeed in the offensive zone which is what will ultimately get him to the NHL. If he can’t create offense in the NHL with skilled players then he is out of the league or that’s when you have him reinvent himself. If he can create offense in the NHL with skilled line-mates but gives up too much on the other end then you have him work on those things or pair him with a player that can cover his shortcomings.

Musty should be with Smith and Zetterlund. That line can be used as a scoring line with heavy O zone starts. If he can’t produce in 9 games with those players then he should get sent back.

I would start the season with:

Kostin - Celebrini - Toffoli
Eklund - Granlund - Dellandrea
Musty - Smith - Zetterlund
Goodrow - Wennberg - Kunin

I think Wennberg or Grundstrom could take Kostin’s Spot and Kunin might take Dellandrea’s spot.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Forcing players to change their game completely without allowing them to use their strengths is how you ruin prospects.

Musty will not make the NHL because of his forecheck or “B” game. You put him in positions with skilled players to succeed in the offensive zone which is what will ultimately get him to the NHL. If he can’t create offense in the NHL with skilled players then he is out of the league or that’s when you have him reinvent himself. If he can create offense in the NHL with skilled line-mates but gives up too much on the other end then you have him work on those things or pair him with a player that can cover his shortcomings.

Musty should be with Smith and Zetterlund. That line can be used as a scoring line with heavy O zone starts. If he can’t produce in 9 games with those players then he should get sent back.

I would start the season with:

Kostin - Celebrini - Toffoli
Eklund - Granlund - Dellandrea
Musty - Smith - Zetterlund
Goodrow - Wennberg - Kunin

I think Wennberg or Grundstrom could take Kostin’s Spot and Kunin might take Dellandrea’s spot.
I would definitely swap Wennberg with Kostin or Dellandrea in that sort of lineup. The Sharks aren't paying Wennberg 5 mil to anchor the 4th line. That's Sturm's job. Wennberg is going to fill some top-nine role. I would expect that he's the guy they go with on Celebrini and Toffoli's wing if nobody steps up and takes it. And if someone does, he'll be on Smith's wing to help defensively and be a secondary playmaker.

Mattb124

Apr 29, 2011
There is a big difference between working on improving aspects of a player’s game that are sub-standard and changing everything about their game. Musty was drafted for his offensive potential, but it is hyperbolic and incorrect to suggest that having him improve on aspects other than his offense will ruin him as a player.

Quite the contrary, there are lots of players (Nikolay Goldobin is perhaps the most Sharks-centric example) who didn’t stick in the NHL in part because they never rounded out their game.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

mogambomoroo

Sponsor
Oct 12, 2020
I think Musty just needs to round out his game enough to really understand and keep up with NHL dynamics/speed. Offence is something he has, but he needs to find how to get that offence to fit NHL standards. That's why I think there is so many different opinions on him, because his profile looks like the real deal but still needs to learn a trick or two to become a real NHL player.
That's why I think it's important to have both Musty and Dickinson playing and learning with actual NHL talent through this pre season.

Reactions: Star Platinum

CupfortheSharks

Sponsor
Mar 31, 2008
San Jose
Musty’s strength is generating offense when his team has the puck. Nobody is suggesting he should stop doing that. About half the time he is on the ice, the other team has the puck. Why not become a great player then too. It’s not one or the other. See Macklin Celibrini.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
There is a big difference between working on improving aspects of a player’s game that are sub-standard and changing everything about their game. Musty was drafted for his offensive potential, but it is hyperbolic and incorrect to suggest that having him improve on aspects other than his offense will ruin him as a player.

Quite the contrary, there are lots of players (Nikolay Goldobin is perhaps the most Sharks-centric example) who didn’t stick in the NHL in part because they never rounded out their game.
I'm not saying we should allow Musty to sit around waiting for his teammates to get him the puck and never back check, I'm just opposing the idea that he should play with Nico Sturm and shouldn't be allowed to play NHL minutes until he's Zach Benson on the forecheck.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
This team isn't good enough to develop Musty where he is at

The Sharks are going to get cratered in possession like last year

Hopefully he goes to London and they can round out his game. Getting time with Dickinson and Halts good too

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad