GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
It's sacrilegious to say, I'm sure, but... might we consider trading musty for an equivalently valued D prospect? He has gamebreaking talent, clearly, but, is also inconsistent and far from a lock to be an NHLer. I think our prospect pool would look better if we had another musty-level prospect at D instead.
This is why I wanted to trade him for Askarov instead of Edstrom. Even if Musty makes the NHL I'm not sure he plays a Grier/Warsofsky style of game.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
Totally - Musty has gone from a lock to make the team to trade bait
I hate to play the "do you even watch the player" card, but people are literally freaking out about nothing when this is the first time they've seen a guy play. I saw absolutely nothing from Musty (or Dickinson) yesterday that changes how I feel about their projection.

Musty is gonna be frustrating. He's probably not someone you commit a huge long-term contract to. But he's so talented he's the kind of player who can win a game all on his own when he's having a good game, so you live with him. Avs fans complain constantly about Rantanen, and yet.

SJSharksfan39

Oct 11, 2008
San Jose, CA
What is this Celebrini "protection" business? Hes not a fine china vase. No opponent is gunna think "hmmm, should I hit celebrini? I am afriad of Giovani smith or kostin or whoever...." They will hit him just fine just as they did. Thats what NHL life is like for a good player.

They need to pair him with skill. Just skill. Nothing to do with protection or any of that. Gushkin is the most skilled of the possible rookies.

My big worry this year is Celebrini gets hurt and is out long term. I hope that doesn't happen, but this is basically the future of your franchise. I agree you surround him with Skill and let him thrive, but if he takes a huge shot in a game, the team better back him up.

Reactions: Shark Finn

Beethovens 10th

du bist ein ungeduldiges Eichhörnchen!
Sep 27, 2017
Zentralfriedhof
I dunno, I’m gonna go with my GUT here and panic.

Frankly, I don’t think Musty even has trade value after last night.

He was a step behind, standing still, passive, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who’s thinking this isn’t just youth and inexperience. I’m not one to speculate, but he’s 100% gotta be using.

If we can flip him for a 7th in 2025 I’d take that lottery ticket over a player cooking in the locker room, riding the dragon, and on the revolving door trip in and out of the player substance abuse program.

We need to move on. I have. The future is bright with Cele, Smith, Askarov. We don’t need the brightness of Musty’s lighter under a bent spoon. I wish him the best, hope he gets clean.

My 2¢

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I hate to play the "do you even watch the player" card, but people are literally freaking out about nothing when this is the first time they've seen a guy play. I saw absolutely nothing from Musty (or Dickinson) yesterday that changes how I feel about their projection.

Musty is gonna be frustrating. He's probably not someone you commit a huge long-term contract to. But he's so talented he's the kind of player who can win a game all on his own when he's having a good game, so you live with him. Avs fans complain constantly about Rantanen, and yet.

Yea and not many late round 1st are impact players in their D+2 season

I've been trying hard to temper expectations for him but the hatrick in the rookie game had people thinking he was more ready than he his

He is currently bad away from the puck and he had to play away from the puck last night.

Boy Hedican

Homer Jr, friends call me Ho-Ju
Jul 12, 2006
Earff
Some of yall are impulsive af. Give Musty and Sam some time. Yeesh.

And suprise suprise, we’re still going to lose a lot of games this season. We are not the competitive team yet. I’ll be surprised if we’re not in the bottom 5. I actually still hope we are. We’re not done drafting our core yet. And we don’t get these opportunities to draft in bottom 5 all that often at all so while we’re here, embrace it.

Simmer your expectations a bit and enjoy the slow growth from here on out. Rebuilds that sell the farm like we did take time, and young players also take time to make the shift to the big club. We may score more goals but we’ll probably still let a lot in.

He was a step behind, standing still, passive, and I’m pretty sure I’m not the only one who’s thinking this isn’t just youth and inexperience. I’m not one to speculate, but he’s 100% gotta be using.

If we can flip him for a 7th in 2025 I’d take that lottery ticket over a player cooking in the locker room, riding the dragon, and on the revolving door trip in and out of the player substance abuse program.

We need to move on. I have. The future is bright with Cele, Smith, Askarov. We don’t need the brightness of Musty’s lighter under a bent spoon. I wish him the best, hope he gets clean.

My 2¢
Flip Musty for a 7th? Are you kidding me? We need to move on?? Wow…I’m glad you’re not our GM.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area

I've been trying hard to temper expectations for him but the hatrick in the rookie game had people thinking he was more ready than he his

He is currently bad away from the puck and he had to play away from the puck last night.
I don't think last night's game even showed that Musty can't play NHL games this season. That's exactly what I mean that people are too reactionary based on a single game. You should never form an opinion based on one game.

Tyler Toffoli barely looked like an NHL player for most of last night. Gonna send him back to the OHL too? How about Sturm and Dellandrea, they looked like AHL scrubs.

Boy, if Will Smith had been eligible to play NHL pre-season games last September, people would have pronounced him a bust on the spot.

Reactions: one2gamble

timorous me

Gristled Veteran
Apr 14, 2010

The exciting thing for me about Musty at the rookie tournament was that it was a good example of his skill level offensively, which teammates and other viewers agreed was legit.

That, of course, isn't enough to make him worthy of an NHL spot this year, and it's not enough to solidify his future in the league. But it's the kind of thing that gives you that hope of what he could be.

It's also an incontrovertible truth that guys like Musty often take longer to make an NHL impact because they have more to figure out about the game. Not just in all three zones, but the physical aspect because everyone wants them to be power forwards but, well, he's been so skilled above all his mates over the years that he's never had to play that way. Can he? Of course. Will he? That's the question, and that's why he's going to take some learning in the AHL eventually, he's going to get benched, he's going to irritate coaches and fans...

and hopefully, in 3-5 years, when he's still only 22-24, things will all start to come together for him. That might not be ideal because we're sick of losing and want the good times ASAP, but it would still be a great (and possible) outcome.

Reactions: Saskatoon

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
I don't think last night's game even showed that Musty can't play NHL games this season. That's exactly what I mean that people are too reactionary based on a single game. You should never form an opinion based on one game.

Tyler Toffoli barely looked like an NHL player for most of last night. Gonna send him back to the OHL too? How about Sturm and Dellandrea, they looked like AHL scrubs.

Boy, if Will Smith had been eligible to play NHL pre-season games last September, people would have pronounced him a bust on the spot.
Fair but my opinion isn't based on last night. I've been saying he is not ready for awhile but I hope I'm wrong

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
I think he was joking with that second quoted post lol
Yes he was and the guy who suggested trading Musty for a 7th as had some wildly inappropriate accusations involving Musty. I don’t think that person’s opinion should be taken seriously.

Last edited by a moderator:

Lebanezer

I'unno? Coast Guard?
Jul 24, 2006
San Jose
Yes he was and the guy who suggested trading Musty for a 7th as had some wildly inappropriate accusations involving Musty. I don’t think that person’s opinion should be taken seriously.

Those are some wild accusations to throw out there about a 19 year old without any evidence or proof.
We’ll have a discussion with him about the sarcasm emoji.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass

My 2¢
This is the weirdest criticism for a prospect I've ever read.

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
No offense, but whatever gave you the impression that Musty was anything like Tkachuk at all, whatsoever.
I was thinking he's more in the JVR mold. Big guy, doesn't lay the body much, and is gifted as a finisher but will leave you wanting more from his measurables.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
This is the weirdest criticism for a prospect I've ever read.
pretty obvious that it was a joke guys...

I dont think anyone is genuinely accusing musty of being a meth head. This post was awesome! And the "quit overreacting" message was loud and clear to me.

That said, saying he is a bust is overreacting. Saying that he's not ready is not. In the prospect games and rookie tourney, I saw a guy with legit skill who can skate, score, pass and do it all. Last night, I saw a passenger.

Now, he was likely very nervous. His linemates blew (sturm and dyllandrea are borderline NHLers who didnt get regular shifts on their previous team). I could see musty being a guy who needs a smith-type who can do much of the work and get him the puck in stride.

As I mentioned, he should get at least a second preseason game to try again. Hopefully, it's later in the preseason when the opponent dresses more NHL players too so you can really see what you got.

Good coaches can get players to change pretty dramatically, and learn the art of hockey (subtle body positioning, defensive structure, blocking shots, etc). last night, musty's Dman got shot through. He didnt block anything. That's unacceptable.... but.... very fixable.

Warsofsky is clearly the teacher type. Not necessarily perfect for a grizzeled vet team competing for a cup, but very good for young team in need of maturing, while also setting a tone and establishing a culture. I will look for improvement in game 2 before making a final judgment on this year. As for the furthur future? who knows, but I think there is real potential there.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
pretty obvious that it was a joke guys...

I dont think anyone is genuinely accusing musty of being a meth head. This post was awesome! And the "quit overreacting" message was loud and clear to me.
When the guy followed up with a now deleted by mods post overtly stating the accusation in a non sarcastic tone it was not a joke.

With that said there are many people who are over reacting to a single game where Musty was not playing with skilled players.

Musty has to hit his offensive ceiling to even make the NHL because he had no “B” game. I think he is either out of the league or a PPG wing. I don’t see many other alternatives for him.

jMoneyBrah

Jan 10, 2013
South Bay
Oh man. Who knew whole NHL careers are made or broken in one preseason game? Maybe we can just let the preseason play out before we completely write off Musty? It was always a stretch for him to be NHL ready this season, if he ends up going back to junior it just means he’s about where he’s been projected to be for his development.

For me nothing has changed. Still an exciting prospect, still someone who looks like a future contributor, still has stuff to work on.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad