GDT: Preseason game 1: Sharks vs. Golden Knights 5pm Streamed on sharks.nhl.com

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

STL Shark

Mar 6, 2013
SJeasy was specifically talking about contending teams; turnover and low expectations are a given for rebuilding teams.

Kostin might have a case that he's the 6th-best forward on the team...and the fourth-best winger if Granlund, Celebrini, and Smith are at center.

Overall, I think you could get away putting Kostin/Grundstrom/Gushchin/Bordeleau with Celebrini and Toffoli. But with Smith, it might be tough to deploy him ideally. He shouldn't be saddled with poor talents or low experience. Maybe Wennberg and Zetterlund would work, but then who is going to play with Eklund and Granlund?
I don't think it's that Kostin is the 6th best forward as much as it is that we need a player in his archetype to be an F1 on that line. It's trying to find the Killorn/Palat that isn't the best on their own, but can compliment and do the dirty work needed while keeping up with 2 top end players on a line.

Kostin has the profile of a guy that might be able to do that, so I get the experiment in trying him there right now. He's big, skates pretty well, and has some solid finishing ability when he actually shoots the puck. There are other issues in his game (like not being in position to shoot the puck enough), but I get why he's a candidate to play with Celebrini/Toffoli on the LW with where the roster is at right now and that lines need of an F1.

Kostin very well might not be the guy (in fact would say he's most likely not the guy), but I get why he's there right now as we look at the roster. I'd love to see Trent Frederic in that spot if he hits UFA this year.

Reactions: CupfortheSharks

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
What is this Celebrini "protection" business? Hes not a fine china vase. No opponent is gunna think "hmmm, should I hit celebrini? I am afriad of Giovani smith or kostin or whoever...." They will hit him just fine just as they did. Thats what NHL life is like for a good player.

They need to pair him with skill. Just skill. Nothing to do with protection or any of that. Gushkin is the most skilled of the possible rookies.

I like keeping the Lund line together, and looking for a skilled rookie to take the celebrini wing with smith as the 3rd line C. I was hoping Dyllandrea might slot alongside celebrini but he didnt exactly impress last night... Cardwell perhaps? He definitely has a motor, looked good last night, and has proven he can score at the pro level. Grundlund? Goodrow?

Truth is, the sharks are one good winger short. Woulda been nice to deploy a bit of that 10M in cap space on a solid vet winger, but oh well...

Celly is too good to have just toffoli, but the Lund line works. Makes little sense to get rid of one problem only to create another. They just have to find the right fit on that wing.

Celly-Toffoli-Gushkin?
Lund line
Smith-wennberg-???
Dyllandrea/goodrow/kunin/grundstrom/etc.

It's a shame that dick and musty had such weak games.

After last night, I am a bit less confident in my bets :). Love what warsofsky brings though...
The “protection” is for when players on other teams take cheap shots at our star kids.
It’s a part of the game.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Kunin and Dellandrea get opportunities in that spot next to Celebrini and Toffoli. They need a forechecker to do that sort of dirty work to compliment that duo. I still think the season will start with Celebrini and Smith centering the 2nd and 3rd lines to insulate them so that pretty much necessitates the Lund line sticking together unless someone forces their hand as it is the only line capable of eating top line minutes without Celebrini and if you take any of them off that line, you've basically made the Celebrini line the top line which needs to be avoided until at least Thanksgiving/Christmas.

JoeThorntonsRooster

Don’t say eye test when you mean points
May 14, 2012
Fremont, CA
I wouldn't be surprised if guys like Kunin and Dellandrea get opportunities in that spot next to Celebrini and Toffoli. They need a forechecker to do that sort of dirty work to compliment that duo. I still think the season will start with Celebrini and Smith centering the 2nd and 3rd lines to insulate them so that pretty much necessitates the Lund line sticking together unless someone forces their hand as it is the only line capable of eating top line minutes without Celebrini and if you take any of them off that line, you've basically made the Celebrini line the top line which needs to be avoided until at least Thanksgiving/Christmas.
Why do we need to avoid making a line with our best player the top line?

zombie kopitar

custom title
Jul 3, 2009
Celly is too good to have just toffoli, but the Lund line works. Makes little sense to get rid of one problem only to create another. They just have to find the right fit on that wing.

Celly-Toffoli-Gushkin?
Lund line
Smith-wennberg-???
Dyllandrea/goodrow/kunin/grundstrom/etc.
Put Gushkin on the third line, I can play on the first line and protect Celly, I'll bring nunchucks

• Haha
Reactions: karltonian

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
The “protection” is for when players on other teams take cheap shots at our star kids.
It’s a part of the game.
nah.... not any more really. And it doesnt stop cheap shots at all. You think Korcaz wouldnt make the hit again? Of course he would. Its the NHL of 2024, not 1990 when bob probert or jeff odgers might come along and end you.

Dont get me wrong, if someone hits any top player, they need to be hit back, but that's not how you design a line. You take a number, and exact revenge later with the proper type personnel. You dont sink a line by trying to "protect" your star.

Celly needs talent on his line not protection. Thats why cardwell or Gushkin might be interesting options there. Both have shown they score at the pro level. Both are quick and can get in there on the forecheck. It's just that both are undersized. Not sure yet what the solution is or ought to be. I dunno if the "right" person is in the locker room at all. Maybe bordeleau if he can player well enough defensively.

gaucholoco3

Jun 22, 2015
Celebrini’s line will be the top line even if the Lund line stays together especially on the road when the Sharks don’t have last change. I just don’t see the reason to keep the Lund line together at the detriment of Celebrini and Smith. They both need skill players to play with more than needing to not play against top competition. Also at home the 3rd line can hard match the opposing teams top line.

Alaskanice

Sep 23, 2009
1 1/2 hours away
nah.... not any more really. And it doesnt stop cheap shots at all. You think Korcaz wouldnt make the hit again? Of course he would. Its the NHL of 2024, not 1990 when bob probert or jeff odgers might come along and end you.

Dont get me wrong, if someone hits any top player, they need to be hit back, but that's not how you design a line. You take a number, and exact revenge later with the proper type personnel. You dont sink a line by trying to "protect" your star.

Celly needs talent on his line not protection. Thats why cardwell or Gushkin might be interesting options there. Both have shown they score at the pro level. Both are quick and can get in there on the forecheck. It's just that both are undersized. Not sure yet what the solution is or ought to be. I dunno if the "right" person is in the locker room at all. Maybe bordeleau if he can player well enough defensively.
Yes, really. That’s part of the game. If Korczak does it again, he’ll pay the price. Smith isn’t even on Macklins line. He did what he needed to do. Will it stop players? Maybe. No real answer.
Now for Kostin, he’s not just a plug. He’s a big body who skates well and can score. If Celebrini can tap into that, try it out in preseason.

Saskatoon

Aug 24, 2006
Saskatoon
The Musty hype train get going a little too much - he likely will be going back to OHL and that is not the end of the world.

Pinkfloyd

Oct 29, 2006
Folsom
Why do we need to avoid making a line with our best player the top line?
Because it's quite possible that what is best for Celebrini's development is to not start with the most set of responsibilities a rookie that hasn't debuted in the NHL can have. The team still needs to exercise patience with him even if he is their best player and becomes a dependable 1C by the end of this season. We're not likely a playoff team so there's no need to rush him. They can afford to gradually increase his responsibilities as the season wears on.

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
he struggled last night. Improved some in the third, but was largely invisible and not particularly effective.

I expect hell get another look, but hes gunna have to do way better to have a chance at his true 9 game tryout.
Appreciate it. Not a huge fan of his game in junior. Bad lines changes and he wouldn't leave the ice when it's time. Selfish player Ive noticed. Bad penalties, and has never laid a hit to save his life. Goes in a scrum backing in. Not face up towards a player . Offensive decent but honestly, I'm not sure what SH was thinking there. Hope he proves me wrong. They really need to get in his head because I'm not sure what's going on up there.

sampler

Aug 3, 2018
Appreciate it. Not a huge fan of his game in junior. Bad lines changes and he wouldn't leave the ice when it's time. Selfish player Ive noticed. Bad penalties, and has never laid a hit to save his life. Goes in a scrum backing in. Not face up towards a player . Offensive decent but honestly, I'm not sure what SH was thinking there. Hope he proves me wrong. They really need to get in his head because I'm not sure what's going on up there.
You are very right about the lack of hitting. That part actually stood out to me. He had many chances to finish a check and didnt. Hes a good size body but he plays much softer, particularly on the forecheck.

Thats a coaching thing and warsofsky is gunna get it into him eventually, this year or next. Coach repeatedly mentions his poor play away from the puck, which I take to mean mainly defensively, but could also refer to lack of physicality, going hard on the forecheck, skating hard on the back check, moving feet on the breakout, etc.

I have been very much on the musty train, but I am less confident to ride it this year as I was two days ago. He didnt look ready. Just like Dick didn't either. Not a huge surprise thats true, but still, its a disappointment to me.

Reactions: I Loveallsports

I Loveallsports

I'm a optimist not a optometrist
Apr 13, 2010
You are very right about the lack of hitting. That part actually stood out to me. He had many chances to finish a check and didnt. Hes a good size body but he plays much softer, particularly on the forecheck.

Thats a coaching thing and warsofsky is gunna get it into him eventually, this year or next. Coach repeatedly mentions his poor play away from the puck, which I take to mean mainly defensively, but could also refer to lack of physicality, going hard on the forecheck, skating hard on the back check, moving feet on the breakout, etc.

I have been very much on the musty train, but I am less confident to ride it this year as I was two days ago. He didnt look ready. Just like Dick didn't either. Not a huge surprise thats true, but still, its a disappointment to me.
Good stuff.

I mean he's going to be a power forward so he better start playing like it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad