GDT: Preseason Game 1: Flames @ Kraken - 7:00 PM PDT, KHN, Kong

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
We don't really have many players who finish their checks. It's not just about physicality, but more about generating change in possession. Flames are certainly doing it, and its work for them.

I don't really want to be negative so looking at positives.

Beniers looks improved.
Wright has looked good.
Evans has been decent but definitely looks rusty.
Bjorkstrand looks in peak form.
McCann has had some really good plays.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
My thoughts at the end of the 2nd period.

F: Most of the vets have looked fine. McCann, Beniers and Bjorkstrand have looked solid. Though it is not against the best competition, I would have expected slightly more. Eberle may be the only vet forward who I felt has looked bad. Wright has been impressive. And that has been with not the best linemates.

D: It's a mess. Outside of Larsson, nobody has stood out positively. I thought I would see more from Evans. Not that he has been bad, I just expected him to be better. That third pairing may not even be a good 3rd pairing in the AHL.

G: Gru has not been good, but the D has been worse, so ... whatever that means.

Overall, it looked like we were generating a lot more chances in the first. But after we fell down 0-2, the team looks like it gave up.

Reactions: The Marquis

GrungeHockey

Sep 14, 2021
Flames are going to be a hack bottom feeder team. What is concerning is that wasn't a Seattle AHL roster for preseason. We played a lot of regulars.

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Flames are going to be a hack bottom feeder team. What is concerning is that wasn't a Seattle AHL roster for preseason. We played a lot of regulars.
Yep, that concern is warranted. But it was still our first pre-season game. There is a lot of rust.

But to me, the concerning thing was the way the vets stopped playing hard after they went down 0-2. Almost felt like them deciding it was a pre-season game and it was ok to mail it in. And I just think that is a terrible example to set.

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA

Beniers and Bjorkstrand looked great. The rest of the vets weren’t liabilities.

Wright looked better compared to last year.

Fluery, Mahura, Dragecevic and Evans all made a lot of mistakes. Worrisome amounts. Brouillard was outright bad, worst player on the ice.

Villaneuve is certainly noticeable when he’s on the ice. Goyette looked fancy early on but was outclassed later in the game. Firkus was unremarkable for most of the game.

As a fringe guy I guess, Kartye looked like an NHLer compared to the young guys. From that group of players who aren’t locks, he was easily one of the best.

No comment on the guys in net.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
My thoughts at the end of the 2nd period.

F: Most of the vets have looked fine. McCann, Beniers and Bjorkstrand have looked solid. Though it is not against the best competition, I would have expected slightly more. Eberle may be the only vet forward who I felt has looked bad. Wright has been impressive. And that has been with not the best linemates.

D: It's a mess. Outside of Larsson, nobody has stood out positively. I thought I would see more from Evans. Not that he has been bad, I just expected him to be better. That third pairing may not even be a good 3rd pairing in the AHL.

G: Gru has not been good, but the D has been worse, so ... whatever that means.

Overall, it looked like we were generating a lot more chances in the first. But after we fell down 0-2, the team looks like it gave up.

Regarding gru the poor showing by most of the defense didn't do him favors.

stickty111

Jan 23, 2017
Hey guys, Leafs fans here. A great milestone having the first female assistant coach. Congrats. Hopefully Jessica knocks it out of the park. One question. Which element is she overseeing? PP or PK?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad