GDT: Preseason Game #1 Blues vs Stars

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
Buch, Neighbours, and Bolduc looked fine. Nothing amazing stood out, Bolduc had an amazing look on a pass from behind the net.

M. Joseph and PO Joseph looked like NHLers, M. Joseph more-so, he looked like an adequate 3rd liner. Which was to be expected. PO Joseph looks to be a fine 7th D or 6th D if injuries happen.

Kapanen continues his play of completely invisible 97% of the time and randomly drops a goal.

Alexandrov.... oof. Talk about someone who looks like he just does not care.

Dean was kinda invisible but nothing he did screamed "WTF are you doing"

Tucker.... he is just not NHL Caliber.

Burns is fine, when he's not taking stupid penalties.

Other young Defenseman did expected young Defenseman things.

Binner and Ellis looked Great.

Reactions: BlueOil

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
Buch, Neighbours, and Bolduc looked fine. Nothing amazing stood out, Bolduc had an amazing look on a pass from behind the net.

M. Joseph and PO Joseph looked like NHLers, M. Joseph more-so, he looked like an adequate 3rd liner. Which was to be expected. PO Joseph looks to be a fine 7th D or 6th D if injuries happen.

Kapanen continues his play of completely invisible 97% of the time and randomly drops a goal.

Alexandrov.... oof. Talk about someone who looks like he just does not care.

Dean was kinda invisible but nothing he did screamed "WTF are you doing"

Tucker.... he is just not NHL Caliber.

Burns is fine, when he's not taking stupid penalties.

Other young Defenseman did expected young Defenseman things.

Binner and Ellis looked Great.
Generally agree, but I liked Dean. He makes smart little plays. He made nice play to set up the goal. He isn't gonna be a star, not flashy, but he is on track to be solid bottom 6 player.

Linkens Mastery

Conductor of the TankTown Express
Jan 15, 2014
Hyrule
I agree or I hope Blues & Cards team up on tv deal with local channel or stream. That's what I really want to see.
Agreed. I also wouldn't be surprised if Blues end up teaming up with Victory+ after the upcoming season either. Victory+ also Does Ducks games as well, so it's not outside the realm of possibility they try to branch out more.

sfvega

Apr 20, 2015
I think most of us were happy to move on from Kapanen especially when the offseason has brought much needed bottom 6 depth. We just don't need him. It's not a terrible move to bring him back for cheap, but it's just so unnecessary.

Dean I think hasn't developed as we hoped when we acquired him, but is still taking steps forward so I'm fine with where he's at. And where he's at is not an NHL player yet. Bolduc is. Dvorsky could be, but why rush it? These 3 seem so easy but there's still a few ppl overly excited for Dvo or trying to stunt Bolduc's growth. I don't get it.

Not to write him off, but I was never high on Burns. Brzustewicz seemed like a lay-up there, but we took more of a type of defenseman. Talent level is the most important thing. Burns strikes me as more of a 7/8 D type, kinda like Bortz was at the end. Just a limited player. Hopefully he can prove me wrong, but LD is pretty deep all of a sudden.

Important not to rush to judgments here for a pretty meaningless preseason game in the bigger picture, so I went with things that I feel were reinforced here.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
2. Mathieu Joseph has a lot of energy, but he seems more like a 4th liner. Texier should be given a strong look for a 3rd line role instead.
Maybe Joseph does end up on the 4th line due to our depth, but he’s already proven to be a 3rd liner in the NHL and I’ve watched him on Tampa and Ottawa. I really don’t understand making conclusions like this based off of one preseason game.

Reactions: MortiestOfMortys

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Maybe Joseph does end up on the 4th line due to our depth, but he’s already proven to be a 3rd liner in the NHL and I’ve watched him on Tampa and Ottawa. I really don’t understand making conclusions like this based off of one preseason game.
I've watched Joseph play before. This game further cemented my opinion of him: a speedy, hardworking forward who can be an asset on the forecheck and penalty kill but probably not a player that will bring a consistent enough offense to really support the current core. That literally fits the profile of a fourth line player. Given this team's lack of elite starpower, it needs stronger offensive depth throughout the top 9, and I'd be annoyed if Army sent Bolduc down to the AHL this season and played Joseph on the 3rd line instead.

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I've watched Joseph play before. This game further cemented my opinion of him: a speedy, hardworking forward who can be an asset on the forecheck and penalty kill but probably not a player that will bring a consistent enough offense to really support the current core. That literally fits the profile of a fourth line player. Given this team's lack of elite starpower, it needs stronger offensive depth throughout the top 9, and I'd be annoyed if Army sent Bolduc down to the AHL this season and played Joseph on the 3rd line instead.
Bolduc isn't competing with Joseph though. If Bolduc goes down it's because they think he needs more time/consistency/whatever and they think Springfield will be better for his development. I suspect he will spend far more time in St. Louis than Springfield this year.

BlueMed

Jul 18, 2019
Bolduc isn't competing with Joseph though. If Bolduc goes down it's because they think he needs more time/consistency/whatever and they think Springfield will be better for his development. I suspect he will spend far more time in St. Louis than Springfield this year.

There's reason to think it could happen though. Army said himself that he wants Bolduc competing for a top 6 role and not a top 9 role. He also mentioned that he wanted to play Faksa with faster wingers, and the practice lines have him with Holloway and Joseph, so it might actually happen.

MortiestOfMortys

Jun 27, 2015
Denver, CO
There's reason to think it could happen though. Army said himself that he wants Bolduc competing for a top 6 role and not a top 9 role. He also mentioned that he wanted to play Faksa with faster wingers, and the practice lines have him with Holloway and Joseph, so it might actually happen.
Bannister sets the lineup, not Army

Bye Bye Blueston

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2016
Houston, TX
I'm not disputing that Joseph could play on the 3rd line, just that he's not competing directly with Bolduc for the spot. If Bolduc goes down Joseph may be a beneficiary, but they won't send Bolduc down because of anything Joseph does or doesn't do.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad