GDT: Preseason #6 | Flyers at Bruins | Tuesday, October 1, 2024 | 7:00 PM | Flyers.com?, 97.5 FM, ESPN+

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Ersson looked really good, like last season before he played 31 of the last 36 games.

Bonk and Luchanko aren't NHL ready, playing against a real team, that was painfully obvious.
No big deal, we're talking 18 and 19 year old. Back to the CHL, then win jobs next September.

McDonald showed the size and mobility to be an interesting player, check back after a year in the AHL.

Richard showed his good and bad, he got speed, can make things happen but lacks the skill to finish consistently.

Drysdale will be a work in progress all season, they know he has a long way to go, example of a player who'd have benefited from a full season in the AHL.

Not really worried about this showing, a week of practice with the "real" team, then a West Coast road trip. We'll have a better idea what this team looks like in 2-3 weeks.

ajgoal

Almost always never serious
Jun 29, 2015
200w.gif
That's as sad as I looked when he left the show.

Reactions: Magua

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
Whole team invisible save for one play that got them a goal Defense had a particularly bad night. Kinda sobering to see how bad an actual nhl line up makes the Flyers look

Reactions: BernieParent

flyerslducks

Feb 15, 2017
Sure, but he hasn't really looked good at any point in the NHL so hard to give him the benefit of the doubt in preseason when the intensity isn't as high and gameplans and structure aren't all the way implemented. Talent should show itself.
The only thing we’ve seen are glimpses in Anaheim, true. But to already judge him off 2-3 games in preseason is a little much. Here’s hoping he progresses, lord knows we need it

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
Whole team invisible save for one play that got them a goal Defense had a particularly bad night. Kinda sobering to see how bad an actual nhl line up makes the Flyers look

It wasn't just an actual NHL team, but one of the best one. Of course they looked great in front of their public. The same will be in the regular, Flyers are just not good enough to look good vs teams like Boston.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
Is this an actual quote?
Yes " I don't think he knows how to play" was the exact quote. I was surprised , but Torts pulls no punches. Asked about Bonk, he says bright future, but plays too slow.

The Drysdale quote was piercing even though there was no intention of an attack, but Tortorella isn't wrong. Too many bad decisions made by Drysdale.

• Wow
Reactions: Amorgus

HeadLiceHatty

Dec 26, 2011
Tokyo, Japan
Watching Michkov make that play to get Konecny a tap in was unreal, Konecny knew he did that on purpose you could see him laughing lol. Horrible team effort, Michkov is going to feast this year regardless, Bruins are a top team in the NHL, we didn’t roll our full lineup and they mostly did, it wasn’t a fun game to watch outside Michkov. Excited for the season to start.

VladDrag

Feb 6, 2018
When watching, I felt like many skaters looked tired. No idea what the training camp schedule looks like, but could be a factor. Could also be that the veterans just wanted to get thru this one without injury...could have also been in my mind.

A few notes:
1) Ersson looked good. Hope he can hold up
2) The lack of decent passers from the back end is really hurting transition
2a) I was concerned about it going into the season, and these games have done nothing to quell that fear.
3) Michkov doesn't fully understand Torts' defensive coverage system nor his forechecking system, but once the puck is in the zone, you let him do him.

Reactions: Curufinwe

mr4tno

Oct 13, 2017
Yes " I don't think he knows how to play" was the exact quote. I was surprised , but Torts pulls no punches. Asked about Bonk, he says bright future, but plays too slow.

The Drysdale quote was piercing even though there was no intention of an attack, but Tortorella isn't wrong. Too many bad decisions made by Drysdale.
Can't wait until Cutter win ROY....He will be the first "Flyer" to ever win it

flyersnorth

Oct 7, 2019
That was a pretty sad display.

Bonk and MacDonald were the most noticeably bad players. They both looked completely lost. Clearly not NHL players right now.

Drysdale also looked quite lost.

I think Ersson was the only standout.

The Flyers just weren't able to get anything going at all.

I wonder who will dress on Thursday against the Utica Comets. Do you rest the vets instead of playing them against an AHL team?

blackjackmulligan

Jun 17, 2022
Ersson looked really good, like last season before he played 31 of the last 36 games.

Bonk and Luchanko aren't NHL ready, playing against a real team, that was painfully obvious.
No big deal, we're talking 18 and 19 year old. Back to the CHL, then win jobs next September.

McDonald showed the size and mobility to be an interesting player, check back after a year in the AHL.

Richard showed his good and bad, he got speed, can make things happen but lacks the skill to finish consistently.

Drysdale will be a work in progress all season, they know he has a long way to go, example of a player who'd have benefited from a full season in the AHL.

Not really worried about this showing, a week of practice with the "real" team, then a West Coast road trip. We'll have a better idea what this team looks like in 2-3 weeks.
If MacDonald was in another organization, he probably doesn't see the NHL at all. I really hope he struggles in the AHL after the way they have hyped him up. We shall see how cement head uses him.

Drysdale a work in progress all season is fn hysterical. He was the guy the CO-CM/Coach wanted. Now he is a work in progress. His confidence must be sky high at the moment.

Richard is a call up fill in guy for a few games. Nothing more. Which is fine.

No reason why Sam can't play 60 something games. Tired or wearing him down excuse doesn't fly.

SaSaShi

Apr 16, 2015
That was a pretty sad display.

Bonk and MacDonald were the most noticeably bad players. They both looked completely lost. Clearly not NHL players right now.

Drysdale also looked quite lost.

I think Ersson was the only standout.

The Flyers just weren't able to get anything going at all.

I wonder who will dress on Thursday against the Utica Comets. Do you rest the vets instead of playing them against an AHL team?
I hope the flyers play like this 60 games out of 80. That would be a successful season for me. 😁😁

CerpinTaxt

Apr 1, 2009
KY
When watching, I felt like many skaters looked tired. No idea what the training camp schedule looks like, but could be a factor. Could also be that the veterans just wanted to get thru this one without injury...could have also been in my mind.

A few notes:
2a) I was concerned about it going into the season, and these games have done nothing to quell that fear.
3) Michkov doesn't fully understand Torts' defensive coverage system nor his forechecking system, but once the puck is in the zone, you let him do him.
Saw him at least twice circle back from a defender, hang on to the puck, and then pass to an open man. The plays actually allowed the flyers to maintain possession and enter the ozone. Wonder how long until flahrsy and John talk him out of those maneuvers.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

A few notes:
I think we saw this last year as well.

Torts uses camp for competition for spots, and part of the competition is seeing how players handle fatigue. I think the next week with all the marginal players gone is when they focus on installs.

Starting the season on the West Coast is good for bonding, but bad for winning.

Saw him at least twice circle back from a defender, hang on to the puck, and then pass to an open man. The plays actually allowed the flyers to maintain possession and enter the ozone. Wonder how long until flahrsy and John talk him out of those maneuvers.
Torts has already said he doesn't want to overburden Michkov as a rookie.
He'll live with mistakes from top offensive players, he knows they need scoring.
It's the second tier guys who have to be fundamentally sound, b/c they can't outscore their mistakes.

Reactions: VladDrag

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Hart was above average, but barely in the top ten.
Flyers had good, but not great, goaltending before Hart went MIA.
Then Torts rode Ersson into the ground b/c the alternatives were Peterson and Sandstrom.

Ersson will be fine, he'll start 50 games, Fedotov 30.
That's basically 2 games a week and a mid-season stretch to heal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad