GWT: Premier League round 26

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
That’s definiely not a joke. It’s essentially humanly impossible to extacly know when contact is made while keeping an eye on the defensive line. Peripheral vision simply isn’t that good.

Yep. It's pretty ridiculous that it went on this long actually. There has been tens of thousands of games altered by these decisions. The history of football would look a lot different most likely. There's really only one way to fix it even though it isn't perfect in all regards. I think that when it's implemented the linesmen need to be a lot more liberal with their definition of offside and let the video decide all the super close ones after the play is over.

Evilo

Mar 17, 2002
France
I forgot your level was set by stuff like this:

2wfqtrd.jpg

When people confuse dive and embellishment, they should take a look at United's Ronaldo.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I mean, it’s slightly funny to me to see a United fan call out Barca for diving. Maybe the irony is lost on some.

I’m also aware that Liverpool have employed their share. Gerrard knew how to go down to get contact with the best of them.

Diving happens, and I’m glad Dele was booked. But it’s hard to complain when you can get a reward for it. It’s too hard for officials at this level to avoid not buying it at least sometime. The penalty for clearly diving is too lax.

Paulie Gualtieri

R.I.P. Tony Sirico
May 18, 2016
Pretty much every commentator, pundit and TV-ref agrees with the second penalty. Puts things into perspective.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Diving happens, and I’m glad Dele was booked. But it’s hard to complain when you can get a reward for it. It’s too hard for officials at this level to avoid not buying it at least sometime. The penalty for clearly diving is too lax.

I don't think it is, but until VAR is in, it's still going to alter games. A team can have a player dive in the penalty area and they get banned for three games if they win a penalty, but they still get the three points.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
Pretty much every commentator, pundit and TV-ref agrees with the second penalty. Puts things into perspective.

It's the part where they give a debatable penalty after the first one is totally bogus, plus the referee standing there and not giving it himself that got people angry.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
I don't think it is, but until VAR is in, it's still going to alter games. A team can have a player dive in the penalty area and they get banned for three games if they win a penalty, but they still get the three points.
I mean, what’s the punishment. Dele got a yellow, big deal. He could have just as easily gotten a dodgy penalty and stolen three points. Kane could easily avoid Karius but doesn’t, goes down and gets a penalty.

The amount of players who do get punished is still pretty small.

hatterson

Apr 12, 2010
North Tonawanda, NY
Yep. It's pretty ridiculous that it went on this long actually. There has been tens of thousands of games altered by these decisions. The history of football would look a lot different most likely. There's really only one way to fix it even though it isn't perfect in all regards. I think that when it's implemented the linesmen need to be a lot more liberal with their definition of offside and let the video decide all the super close ones after the play is over.

I agree with letting the linesmen be much more loose in real time as long as VAR also calls back FKs and corners or extended possession.

If you’re gonna let close plays go, you still have to call back ones that lead to continued scoring chances.

With a proper VAR system you should be able to sort those things out in 10-15 seconds at most.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
You should look up the definition of overrule.

The ref has final authority, period. He is allowed to take input from his assistant, which he did in this case, but he’s under no obligation to follow it.

You can argue he should have trusted his initial call instead of changing it on input, but that’s fundamentally different than overruling.
Yes. The assistant over ruled him. Ref said no. Assistant said yes and did a fist pump.

Savant

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 3, 2013
No, the ref is just an indecisive ********. His linesman told him they thought it was a penalty and he gave in. If he really thought it wasn't a penalty he didn't have to give anything.
I think we have different definitions then. If the ref can’t make the call on his own because he doesn’t be know what happened that’s worse.

Baxterman

Aug 27, 2017
I was so pissed after seeing us throw away 2 easy points but seeing all the crying from Liverpool fans about the two legit calls is worth it.

Their team was by far the 2nd best team out there and deservingly lost but all they focus on is the calls. The best thing is with Klopps refusal to take responsibility for his teams losses you know he will focus on the calls and not the terrible play again from his defenders and goalie.

Live in the Now

Dec 17, 2005
LA
I was so pissed after seeing us throw away 2 easy points but seeing all the crying from Liverpool fans about the two legit calls is worth it.

Their team was by far the 2nd best team out there and deservingly lost but all they focus on is the calls. The best thing is with Klopps refusal to take responsibility for his teams losses you know he will focus on the calls and not the terrible play again from his defenders and goalie.

Look at the table buddy.

Chimaera

same ol' Caps
Feb 4, 2004
La Plata, Maryland
Sure they should give help. But I think there’s a difference between attempting to over rule the ref twice in two crucial decisions, including one in the last few seconds and just giving some help.

The ref has a clear view of the second and needs to make the right call. The side official didn’t really have the best view either.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad