Rumor: Preds were (still are?) linked to ekblad

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Under a million is not a hard fix. But I’m curious how it’s downgraded considering Fabbro is basically already the odd man out. You think carrier is better than trouba?
Going from Fabbro to Stastney is a significant downgrade.

Trouba isn't good anymore.

Again, and that is over the cap with a 20 man roster. Teams don't run 20 man rosters. 21 minimum, and then you're clearing a mill to get over the cap.

If you want to run a full roster, you are 2.5 million dollars over the cap.

So you're either replacing Novak with a 900k player, or Sissons with a 900k player.

Giving up Sissons+Fabbro+Glass just to get washed up trouba instead of carrier makes no sense

Reactions: JPT

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
lol apparently and according to HFBoards
Zito is an awesome GM and Maurice is a great coach who could probably get a bunch of bottom pairing dmen back to the finals, lol.

I think if Zito wanted to bring back Montour then he would have. Letting him and OEL walk was the best outcome.
Not a huge fan of Nate but he did look much better under Maurice.

As for Eckblad I think he gets moved and EK gets traded to Florida, he would thrive there. Fowler is another guy who would be a good target.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
My Flames should be all over Ekblad if he's available for free. Good deadline asset.

scholl

Jun 26, 2019
Helsinki, Finland
I think if Zito wanted to bring back Montour then he would have. Letting him and OEL walk was the best outcome.
Not a huge fan of Nate but he did look much better under Maurice.
Montour was better in 22/23 than 23/24. No way that Zito would pay more than what he pays Gus ($5.75m). Brandon won the cup and could sign the deal of his life time. So this wasn't a surprise for me an all. I was surprised that Zito didn't bring OEL back but 4 x $3.5m is just too much and too long. The player is injury prone and not young. I thought that he's worth 2 x $2.5m. So both decisions were understandable.

I don't think that they trade Ekblad when he has just one year left and with Sasha he is the only one from the original group. It was a process that led to the Cup and Ekblad has served well for 10 years.

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Ek isn't getting moved at this point unless there is a "hockey" trade available which is very unlikely. He either falls in line with the salary structure of the team set by Forsling or he walks at the end of the year. Good player still and a total warrior but Zito will find a replacement.

Reactions: Mase and RogerRoger

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Going from Fabbro to Stastney is a significant downgrade.
I'm not at all sure the Preds would see it that way. So far Stastney looks very good. They do have a lot of similarities as players, in terms of being smaller guys whose primary competency is skating and using their skating to play their position and control gaps and so on well. But for whatever reason, the Preds don't seem to like Fabbro, and I'm sure given the current Cap situation they'd be even more inclined to prefer Stastney over Fabbro.

Trouba isn't good anymore.

Again, and that is over the cap with a 20 man roster. Teams don't run 20 man rosters. 21 minimum, and then you're clearing a mill to get over the cap.

If you want to run a full roster, you are 2.5 million dollars over the cap.

So you're either replacing Novak with a 900k player, or Sissons with a 900k player.

Giving up Sissons+Fabbro+Glass just to get washed up trouba instead of carrier makes no sense
Totally agreed with that. I think the Preds will probably just end up placing Glass on waivers as a first try. Fabbro shouldn't be impossible to move either. If the Preds had to take a 5th round pick or something for him, I could see them doing that. There's not going to be any gaudy big moves for a Trouba, and they won't be trading players they actually want to keep like Sissons or Carrier. It's just going to be a matter of maximizing the tiny tiny return they might get on Glass/Fabbro, and that's the end of things. (Even zero net return on those 2 would probably ultimately satisfy Trotz).

sxvnert

Nov 23, 2015
Preds are better off waiting until next summer once the Panthers let him walk after the Verhaeghe & Bennett signings.

IceManCat

#StanleyCupChampions2024🏆
Jul 13, 2006
The Rat Den
My Flames should be all over Ekblad if he's available for free. Good deadline asset.

The Panthers Defense is a bit thin and Ekblad is a proven performer, no chance he gets traded. He'll play out his contract and likely hit free agency at the end of the year.

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Florida wouldn't risk moving major piece like Ekblad after just winning a Cup. Especially after just losing Montour

I completely disagree with this. I think that if there is a trade available that allows the Panthers to get a Top 4 D in return, they'll pounce on it. I just don't think there will be.

Zito moved fan favorite Huberdeau after the best individual season in team history. After that, I'm convinced he will make any move that he believes will help the team in the long run, regardless of fan sentiment or situation.

Reactions: Mase

Pablo El Perro

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 10, 2007
Cats should have traded Ekblad signed Montour. Could have got young asset or high pick in draft.
Ekblad has one year left and might sign a discount retirement contract. Montour, as much as I liked him, would be a bad fit long term. Glad he got paid.

Reactions: Mase

DingDongCharlie

Sep 12, 2010
What I can see is something like Penguins retaining $2.5mil, send to a third party to retain 50% of $7.5mil, then he goes to Nashville at $3.75mil. Nyqvist is sent to the Pens or the third party team and a collection of picks/prospects goes to the other team.

Something like:
To Preds - Karlsson @ $3.75mil + Bemstrom + 5th
To Anaheim - $3.75mil of retention + 3rd round pick from Nashville + 3rd round pick from Penguins
To Pittsburgh - Nyqvist + Parssinen + TBL 2nd or COL 3rd

So Karlsson @3.75mil for three years+5th+Bemstrom for Nyqvist+Parssinen+2nd+3rd

Not that outrageous.

No club is eating 3.75m x 3 years of a retention spot for a couple of 3rd rounders.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad