Rumor: Preds were (still are?) linked to ekblad

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Agreed, he has become important to the Dcore there. I am just saying Nurse is important to the Oilers Dcore, it doesn't mean he is worth a lot on the market. I think they are in the same tier.
He might not be, but us losing him would affect us a lot and we don’t really have much that could replace him internally.

Trading Ekblad would be easier if we were likely missing the playoffs but since we’re still in our window and he’s doing well enough then it would take something that Zito can’t refuse, IMO.

Reactions: HockeyVirus

vipera1960

Aug 1, 2007
Speaking of needing a top pair rd to play with josi. This would be ideal. But at what cost? We would need retention from Florida.

Dude, there’s a “speculation” prefix. Just because you saw it on the internet doesn’t make it a “rumor.”

Seriously guy, this is like the fifth one this week (and this one isn’t even really from this week.)

Reactions: PredsV82

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
Dude, there’s a “speculation” prefix. Just because you saw it on the internet doesn’t make it a “rumor.”

Seriously guy, this is like the fifth one this week (and this one isn’t even really from this week.)
Nobody forcing you to read and reply. But thanks for your input. I’ll file it under nobody cares.
Also for the record it says they were linked to him. So yeah thanks for your time bud.

Last edited:

WaitingForThatCab

#1 Nick Cousins Fan Account
Mar 11, 2017
Yeah, I feel like Ekblad was being shopped for about 1 minute once Florida realized Montour was going to* be leaving for that big bag, and then immediately came off the table once Montour actually left.

I think he's still being shopped, but with only one year left on his contract, they won't move him just to move him. Can't imagine any team will send back a cheaper RD, though.

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
What I can see is something like Penguins retaining $2.5mil, send to a third party to retain 50% of $7.5mil, then he goes to Nashville at $3.75mil. Nyqvist is sent to the Pens or the third party team and a collection of picks/prospects goes to the other team.

Something like:
To Preds - Karlsson @ $3.75mil + Bemstrom + 5th
To Anaheim - $3.75mil of retention + 3rd round pick from Nashville + 3rd round pick from Penguins
To Pittsburgh - Nyqvist + Parssinen + TBL 2nd or COL 3rd

So Karlsson @3.75mil for three years+5th+Bemstrom for Nyqvist+Parssinen+2nd+3rd

Not that outrageous.

SJ retained on EK so only 2 detentions allowed on same contract
You have done 3

3 yrs retention, not s deadline rental, will cost sgnificantly more than a few 3rds

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I think he's still being shopped, but with only one year left on his contract, they won't move him just to move him. Can't imagine any team will send back a cheaper RD, though.
I mean we have a guy like Fabbro but kind of in the same position in that its his final season before he hits UFA and he is cheap, granted not as good. I guess Carrier is on the right side and is signed for multiple years fairly cheap ( 4 x 3.75 ) but once again not as good.

Problem comes is we would need to move several guys just to create the cap space. All doable, but if its that much work the odds are pretty slim.

Reactions: Bringer of Jollity

token grinder

Facts Get Deleted
Sep 29, 2009
Alleged Mod Abuser
Novak, Glass or Fabbro, and Smith make the dollars work, dollar for dollar (7.5M). And all are replaceable with talented kids. The issue would be replacing Smith and Novak in this situation as the Preds would have to bring two kids/3 to fill out the roster. Hence you are 3 million over the cap then.

If I had the pencil and fantasy book this situation, Novak, Fabbro, Smith and a conditional 2nd (the highest we have available in the 2025 draft, or if signed prior to the draft Nashville's 1st. and then if he signs after the draft, Fla would get Nashville's 2026 2nd rounder as well--to prevent timing shenanigans) for an unsigned beyond next season Ekblad. So 3 players (FLA has openings on their roster for them) and 2 picks. Pretty good haul for an almost 30, contract seeking D-man) Think it is low? Check again what Chychryn (or however you spell his name) brought in for Ottawa. May even be an overpayment.

Glass to SJ, Calgary, Columbus or any other team that has 10 mil in space still for whatever draft pick you can get.

So we have replaced Fabbro's spot on the roster with Ekblad. Have to fill Novak and Smith and Glass's holes on the roster with the 2.5 Million we made room for with Glass's contract. For fun, that is ZLH, Reid Shaeffer and whoever is cheapest amongst Parsinnen and Tommasino (or rotating Dman). All should come in around 900K or less. So the preds are 200K over the cap with 13 F and 6 Dmen. You get around that with playing the service game and only calling up the 13th F or 7 D on game days.

Other option is trying to trade Nyquist as well and hoping the kids are alright...

TotalHomer

Jan 3, 2022
Novak, Glass or Fabbro, and Smith make the dollars work, dollar for dollar (7.5M). And all are replaceable with talented kids. The issue would be replacing Smith and Novak in this situation as the Preds would have to bring two kids/3 to fill out the roster. Hence you are 3 million over the cap then.

If I had the pencil and fantasy book this situation, Novak, Fabbro, Smith and a conditional 2nd (the highest we have available in the 2025 draft, or if signed prior to the draft Nashville's 1st. and then if he signs after the draft, Fla would get Nashville's 2026 2nd rounder as well--to prevent timing shenanigans) for an unsigned beyond next season Ekblad. So 3 players (FLA has openings on their roster for them) and 2 picks. Pretty good haul for an almost 30, contract seeking D-man) Think it is low? Check again what Chychryn (or however you spell his name) brought in for Ottawa. May even be an overpayment.

Glass to SJ, Calgary, Columbus or any other team that has 10 mil in space still for whatever draft pick you can get.

So we have replaced Fabbro's spot on the roster with Ekblad. Have to fill Novak and Smith and Glass's holes on the roster with the 2.5 Million we made room for with Glass's contract. For fun, that is ZLH, Reid Shaeffer and whoever is cheapest amongst Parsinnen and Tommasino (or rotating Dman). All should come in around 900K or less. So the preds are 200K over the cap with 13 F and 6 Dmen. You get around that with playing the service game and only calling up the 13th F or 7 D on game days.

Other option is trying to trade Nyquist as well and hoping the kids are alright...
Florida has very little or no need for any of those players. If Ekblad is dealt it's either for D or futures.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad