Rumor: Preds were (still are?) linked to ekblad

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
I can't possibly see how this works for Nashville. They are over the cap as is and they don't have any good contracts to be able to send back.

If Nashville was willing to pony up to get max retention, it's possible they could get Erik Karlsson from the Penguins, maybe?

Reactions: KrisLetAngry

Siludin

Dec 9, 2010
There’s no way Florida could retain when both Ekblad& Montour would be gone and needing to upgrade their defense
Yeah, I feel like Ekblad was being shopped for about 1 minute once Florida realized Montour was going to* be leaving for that big bag, and then immediately came off the table once Montour actually left.

Last edited:

Sideline

May 23, 2004
I can't possibly see how this works for Nashville. They are over the cap as is and they don't have any good contracts to be able to send back.

If Nashville was willing to pony up to get max retention, it's possible they could get Erik Karlsson from the Penguins, maybe?
There hasn't been any noise about Karlsson wanting out or being on the market, but I think this makes sense in principle.

Jean Luc Discard

Jul 11, 2014
Fabbro, Tomasino, Askarov, 2025 first and second.

bait.jpg

SEALBound

Fancy Gina Carano
Sponsor
Jun 13, 2010
There hasn't been any noise about Karlsson wanting out or being on the market, but I think this makes sense in principle.
What I can see is something like Penguins retaining $2.5mil, send to a third party to retain 50% of $7.5mil, then he goes to Nashville at $3.75mil. Nyqvist is sent to the Pens or the third party team and a collection of picks/prospects goes to the other team.

Something like:
To Preds - Karlsson @ $3.75mil + Bemstrom + 5th
To Anaheim - $3.75mil of retention + 3rd round pick from Nashville + 3rd round pick from Penguins
To Pittsburgh - Nyqvist + Parssinen + TBL 2nd or COL 3rd

So Karlsson @3.75mil for three years+5th+Bemstrom for Nyqvist+Parssinen+2nd+3rd

Not that outrageous.

Sideline

May 23, 2004
What I can see is something like Penguins retaining $2.5mil, send to a third party to retain 50% of $7.5mil, then he goes to Nashville at $3.75mil. Nyqvist is sent to the Pens or the third party team and a collection of picks/prospects goes to the other team.

Something like:
To Anaheim - $3.75mil of retention + 3rd round pick from Nashville + 3rd round pick from Penguins

Not that outrageous.
Pretty sure only one more team can retain on EK. The Sharks are already eating money on his deal and I believe the limit is two teams retaining.

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024

Something like:

Not that outrageous.
No team is eating 3.75x3 (11 million dollars) for anything less than a 1st++

Think about what it would have cost to dump jack campbell. Then add the cost of eating a retention slot for 3 years

Laus723

Graceful brutality
Sponsor
Jan 27, 2006
Wellington, FL
This was written before Monty signed with Seattle. I'm all for moving on from Ekblad, but at this point it have to be for a solid defender coming back. Or a piece we can move for an Ekblad replacement.

Before FA started, I could see us moving on from Ek, I cannot right now.

KrisLetAngry

MrJukeBoy
Dec 20, 2013
Saskatchewan

Something like:

Not that outrageous.
A contract can only be retained twice
Remember San Jose already retained a million roughly.

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Not that I think it’s impossible but he’s our only RHD and the franchise sees him as a very valuable asset so it would probably take a big haul to get him.

Come on man. I think people would be shocked at how little he returns. I agree it is unlikely he is traded where they lost so much defense depth though

barkovcanfinnish

Stanley Cup Champs 2024
Sep 22, 2014
Chicago, IL
Come on man. I think people would be shocked at how little he returns. I agree it is unlikely he is traded where they lost so much defense depth though
Him being the only right handed dman in our whole d-corp increased his value to the team. He’s a top-2 dman on the team now, especially now that Montour is gone. If he’s getting traded they better get something decent in return, otherwise what’s the point

Reactions: HockeyVirus

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Him being the only right handed dman in our whole d-corp increased his value to the team. He’s a top-2 dman on the team now, especially now that Montour is gone. If he’s getting traded they better get something decent in return, otherwise what’s the point

Agreed, he has become important to the Dcore there. I am just saying Nurse is important to the Oilers Dcore, it doesn't mean he is worth a lot on the market. I think they are in the same tier.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad