GDT: Preds vs Stars 10/10 7pm: The "We're excited for the new season!" edition or...the "How many games will Saros miss?" edition.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
Noone thought he was, Trotz just realised he couldn't hold onto Lanky (wanted a 1b minimum) and Asky wasn't going to stay as well as Saros.
Also Lauzon's proved himself... have I missed a meme in here in the years I've been away?
Honestly with how hot/cold Saros is a 1b is a great idea, but we didnt have a bunch of money below the cap at that point so I guess I get it

Oh yeah Duchene? Now you’re physically invested in the game?

NSH615

Feb 13, 2013
1728614229242.png

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Wedgewood made sense as an easier competition for askarov to beat out to make the NHL but if he failed even that task then it gave us someone with experience. Now with no askarov.... im just hoping he can be competent enough to cost games.

Reactions: Soundgarden

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I mean you take out a couple of bad goals by Wedgewood and we probably win that 9/10 times. Some things that need to be worked on, especially on the D core, but there were some good things I think Brunette and the guys are finding.

Honestly I don't know that I don't move Sissons down to the 4th, bump McCarron, and give Parssinen a shot between Stamkos and Marchessault.

Reactions: bdub24

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
Is it ideal? No. Did we see some big weaknesses? Yes. Should we be really hopeful about the rest of the season? Also yes.

We knew Wedgewood wasn't Lankinen, he wouldn't have started today if Saros was healthy. We need to see more from him, definitely, but I've seen supposedly better Goalies do much worse. Where I take comfort is the Forsberg misses, the line mismatches, O'Reilly fluffing multiple times - those things are 'beginning of the season' things. Maybe missing a game didn't help, maybe there's a bit of lag but there's a lot of positives too. When we played to the plan we looked in charge, our power play set up well and looked dangerous - which isn't something we've been able to say a lot in our entire franchise history.

Novak is not the C for that second line. Not yet at least. He seemed so much more comfortable with Evangelista and Tomasino - which is fine for now, especially since it has one more goal than that second line. It adds a problem because I don't think Sissons is the C for that line either, so maybe Stamkos comes in and Evangelista goes up but for now I think Novak will be given more time which is probably fair. Maybe give Parssinen a run at it too, he's got the strength to be a bit more authoritative - it's just whether he can find Stamkos and Marchessault when it matters. Novak has the pass he just doesn't have the strength to get through and loses the puck too much.

So long as we look like we did in the first and third periods most of the time, we've got a few more games before we have to get concerned.

I'm pissed about losing to Dallas cos Dallas, but I guess I saw enough to be ok with it for now.:huh:

TheOriginalJez

Oct 24, 2014
A box under a bridge
I mean you take out a couple of bad goals by Wedgewood and we probably win that 9/10 times. Some things that need to be worked on, especially on the D core, but there were some good things I think Brunette and the guys are finding.

Honestly I don't know that I don't move Sissons down to the 4th, bump McCarron, and give Parssinen a shot between Stamkos and Marchessault.
One I blame Wedgewood, one I was tracking Schenn and I hope for his sake he jumped the boards because I think he was supposed to be covering and didn't even cross the blue line before the puck was in the net. So, realistically we could have had OT (we're not ever getting rid of Schenn are we? Somehow he's getting a 7 year extension at the end of this...)

Reactions: bdub24

ShagDaddy

Nov 24, 2021
The Boro
Powerplay looked electric especially. Unfortunately only turned into one goal but keep doing that and it’ll come.
Oddly enough the way they were buzzing around and all the movement on the power play may be a bit of a deterrent for Stamkos to set up in his office and slap those one timers. It will be interesting to see how that settles out over the next few games.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad