Preds lines for next season right now

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
Official Site of the National Hockey League | NHL.com @Porter Stoutheart there is a 23 man limit, not requirement. What is keeping Nashville from just having 20?
Nature. Players get sick, get hurt in warmups, etc. You need to have spares on hand in NHL hockey.

For sure, teams have run below 23 before, we have too. If you have to. But you plan on 23. Then if you can't manage that, ok, but that's a deviation from the plan, an accommodation to an undesired situation. For us, it would also mean we would have to waive some players we probably don't want to.

So you budget for 23. And only trim down if you absolutely have to.

Reactions: PredsV82

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
You might be quite disappointed with Stamkos’ even strength play. Kuch carried him when they played on the same line not at all the other way around. I love Stamkos but he doesn’t bring that much to the table even strength anymore.
Oh no, a player that can score on the Power play? What's a team that had a dog shit power play in the playoffs going to do?

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I am loving the offense. But we need to do something about this defense still. Simply signing Skjei does not fix things.

Fabbro and carrier cannot both be in the top 4. Garbage.

I am curious if we can maybe move one of Fabbro/Carrier along with a pick or askarov/Tomasino for an actual top 4 (RH) dman..? Maybe with a sweet package like that we can even have them retain salary for us to make it work…?
Something has to give. So bitter we resigned carrier with still having Dante. Love the rest of the moves though. Finally a number one centre in SS91!!
Yes he’s gonna play centre. Who else??

Reactions: bdub24

Porter Stoutheart

Seen Stamkos?
Jun 14, 2017
I am loving the offense. But we need to do something about this defense still. Simply signing Skjei does not fix things.

Fabbro and carrier cannot both be in the top 4. Garbage.

I am curious if we can maybe move one of Fabbro/Carrier along with a pick or askarov/Tomasino for an actual top 4 (RH) dman..? Maybe with a sweet package like that we can even have them retain salary for us to make it work…?
Something has to give. So bitter we resigned carrier with still having Dante. Love the rest of the moves though. Finally a number one centre in SS91!!
Yes he’s gonna play centre. Who else??
According to the Preds braintrust, Carrier is an actual top 4 RH dman, alas. :(

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
According to the Preds braintrust, Carrier is an actual top 4 RH dman, alas. :(
Is he though? Maybe second pair but we need a top pair guy to roll with Roman.

Here is what I see next season:

Forsberg Stamkos Evangelista

Nyquist O’Reilly Marchessault

Parssinen Novak L’Heureux

Smith Sissons McCarron

Jankowski/Tomasino

Josi RHD?

Skjei Carrier/Fabbro

Stastney Lauzon

Schenn

Saros

Wedgewood

Also…. Trouba is available and is a RD….

Fabbro, Tomasino and a first for Trouba 50% retained maybe? Then waive Schenn and bring up Del Gaizo??

Predsanddead24

Mar 7, 2019

Smith Sissons McCarron

Jankowski/Tomasino

Josi RHD?

Skjei Carrier/Fabbro

Stastney Lauzon

Schenn

Saros

Wedgewood

Fabbro, Tomasino and a first for Trouba 50% retained maybe? Then waive Schenn and bring up Del Gaizo??
Doesn't Trouba kind of suck now on top of not wanting to move to go play for whatever team acquires him? I too am skeptical of our D but it's going to be tough to fix it now that we're at the cap. Realistically it's more likely a deadline move or next offseason that we can shore things up there.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
People probably need to wrap their heads around the D pairs looking like this when healthy. Trotz and Brunette have both alluded to this.

Skjei--------Josi
Lauzon----Carrier
Stastney--Schenn

Like it or lump it, might as well get used to it.

It's also entirely possible that Schenn somewhat bounces back this season. He started behind the 8-ball last year with an injury out of the gates on his third team in two seasons that was also going through growing pains with a new coach and GM.

A healthy offseason and familiarity with the organization could really help.

badi

Jan 21, 2008

Smith Sissons McCarron

Jankowski/Tomasino

Josi RHD?

Skjei Carrier/Fabbro

Stastney Lauzon

Schenn

Saros

Wedgewood

Glass ?

glenngineer

Jan 27, 2010
Franklin, TN
Fil-ROR-Gus (don't fix what isn't broken)
Stamkos-Novak-Marchessault (Novak could put up 60-70 assists with these guys)
Evangelista-Parssinen-Tomasino (Time for the youth to put up or shut up)
ZLH-Sissons-Smith (Yes, Happy is making it out of camp)
McCarron-Jankowski

Josi-Fabbro
Skjei-Carrier
Stastney-Lauzon
Schenn

Darkhorse: Molendyk - he may force his way into the lineup and if he does, someone's got to go

Saros/Wedgewood

maplepred

Go Preds Go!!
Aug 14, 2011
I can’t see him on the roster. He’s had his chances and makes too much for our now tight cap situation.

Fil-ROR-Gus (don't fix what isn't broken)
Stamkos-Novak-Marchessault (Novak could put up 60-70 assists with these guys)
Evangelista-Parssinen-Tomasino (Time for the youth to put up or shut up)
ZLH-Sissons-Smith (Yes, Happy is making it out of camp)
McCarron-Jankowski

Josi-Fabbro
Skjei-Carrier
Stastney-Lauzon
Schenn

Darkhorse: Molendyk - he may force his way into the lineup and if he does, someone's got to go

Saros/Wedgewood
I just can’t see someone like Novak being the centre over a legend like stammer.

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
On the Glass/Fabbro discussion, Fabbro seemed to have earned a Tomasino 2.0 level of trust from the coaches last year. [Ed: which is to say none.] He was pressboxed for long stretches and when they did dress him, he got minimal ice time. Both he and Tomasino are former 1st rounder picks, but we might want to limber up the wrist on the wave bye-bye hand.

Glass wasn't trusted much more and was constantly getting dinged. But he did hit a groove for a bit and the coaches praised his progress coming off injury and really putting in the work to play the way they wanted. There is more to it than stats. I suspect he might have a slight, as in paper thickness, advantage over Fabs and Tomtom. Still, it would not be surprising to see him sent on the chute out the door either.

We're not going to be going with a youth movement any time soon. People calling for the tank commander and bringing up the Admirals roster en masse will just have to be disappointed.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
On the Glass/Fabbro discussion, Fabbro seemed to have earned a Tomasino 2.0 level of trust from the coaches last year. [Ed: which is to say none.] He was pressboxed for long stretches and when they did dress him, he got minimal ice time. Both he and Tomasino are former 1st rounder picks, but we might want to limber up the wrist on the wave bye-bye hand.

Glass wasn't trusted much more and was constantly getting dinged. But he did hit a groove for a bit and the coaches praised his progress coming off injury and really putting in the work to play the way they wanted. There is more to it than stats. I suspect he might have a slight, as in paper thickness, advantage over Fabs and Tomtom. Still, it would not be surprising to see him sent on the chute out the door either.

We're not going to be going with a youth movement any time soon. People calling for the tank commander and bringing up the Admirals roster en masse will just have to be disappointed.
Yeah but then when the playoffs hit they kept Glass benched and brought up Parsinnen, that tells me a whole lot of just exactly what they think about Glass.

And people might as well get used to it, Schenn is going to be playing so you might as well have him in your line up. Trotz didn't give him that contract to sit on the bench and ride out his career. Now luckily he seemed to do better as the season went on, I know Hal Gill said he was struggling with the changes he needed to make in his game to play Brunette's system, so hopefully with a full offseason to work on it things will be better.

IMO Glass ends up moved, or just flat out waived. If someone comes out of camp and steals a spot Fabbro may be right there with him.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Fabbro healthy scratch?
Lauzon top 4? Eek
Should probably get used to it

Carrier - Lauzon was last years 2nd pairing

Fabbro even when he was in the game wasnt treated as a 1st pairing player. He was given 3rd pairing minutes with Josi then Josi picked up extra minutes being paired with other defensemen like McDonagh. If Fabbro makes it to the season, odds are as of right now with the dmen we have that he will be scratched.

Skjei essentially replaces McDonagh so i imagine the preferred 1st and 2nd pairings for Brunette will once again be
McD (Skjei) Josi
Lauzon Carrier

That just leaves the 3rd pair and neither Fabbro or Schenn are great on their offhand which leaves stastney/del gaizo/Molendyk to fill the hole and fabbro the pressbox. I dont agree with Fabbro's usage but this has been the trend for 2 seasons with Fabbro getting less and less time.

Glass is likely gone as well. Constantly healthy scratched. Pärssinen called up over him for the playoffs. Maybe they give Fabbro/Glass another shot but we find oursleves needing capspace and these are two players that cost a fair amount and dont get utilized. The team would be better with 5.0 million in capspace to fill it out with 5 more contracts under 1 million.

Last edited:
Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

LCPreds

Dec 8, 2013
TN
This is how it usually goes for the Preds, right? It's really tough to have it all right at once unless your prospects really pan out while on cheap contracts. We had a good run with great G/D but average at best F. We're now looking at great G, hopefully average D, hopefully above average F.

Take a 10 year look back at the 14-15 roster vs. what is shaping up to be the 24-25 roster. Interesting shift there.

Looking back on that season I just realized that's the one where we traded 1st ++ to get Franson and Santorelli. To further my suffering I just double checked what happened with that pick. Vancouver flipped it to Philly who selected Travis Konecny.

EyeofSaros

Feb 28, 2024
I would rather get rid of Lauzon than Fabbro. Move Lauzon and Glass, that makes 4.5mil more space. Than i would try to make a trade for someone like Jan Rutta or William Borgen then we could roll with:

Josi-Rutta/Borgen
Skjei-Carrier
Statsney-Fabbro/Schenn

Lauzon is an issue because you don't really want to roll him in the top 4 and same goes for Schenn, but apparently you can't get rid off Schenn because of Stamkos.

herzausstein

Aug 31, 2014
West Virginia
Until Trotz clears cap space the team is going with a 20 player roster ... simple math. That means for now the blueline is Josi, Fabbro, Skjei, Carrier, Schenn, Lauzon. Mix and match those six however you'd like.
On paper that would probably be something like

Josi - Fabbro
Skjei - Schenn
Lauzon - Carrier

Minutes wise
Skjei and Josi with 22+ each
Lauzon and Carrier with 18-19 each
Schenn and Fabbro with around 14 each with both of em being mixed and matched with all 3 LHD depending on the situation

PredsV82

All In LFG!
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2007
Given the uncertainty down the middle, the first call I would make would be to Carolina to see if a trade can be made with Necas coming to Nashville and Novak going to Carolina as the core parts of the package.

I would expect Nashville to have to add to that, especially if Necas is extended as part of the deal. Those additions could potentially include Fabbro and perhaps a prospect or pick. If Nashville really sweetens the pot, perhaps they take Glass as well since they do have a decent amount of cap space.

Necas would seem to be a better fit for the all-in approach the Predators seem to be going with, would slot in quite nicely as the 2C, and is $750K cheaper this upcoming year as well.

On the flip side, I think both Novak and Fabbro would be great fits on Carolina.

As for Necas, wanting a bigger role, he would be playing with at least one of Forsberg, Stamkos, and Marchessault. It's also possible that he takes O'Reilly's role on the PP as well- or at least partially so.
We aren't getting Necas for anything we want to pay. Columbus was apparently prepared to give up 4OA if he would extend with them, but he wouldnt

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad