Proposal: Preds and Leafs

preds1

Apr 2, 2010
TN
Not sure Marner will waive his NMC for a re-tooling Nashville, let alone re-sign before the TDL. Certainly a lot of top prospects mentioned for a one year hail mary.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
No it isn't. Dubois return a 2nd, a cap dump in Iafallo, and a nothing burger in Kupari. Vilardi was the center piece and he has huge injury concerns as we saw this year.

You're getting a 1st, a 16-18 minute RHD that can probably play more minutes as he develops and Tomasino who is basically a Vilardi level prospect.

Iafallo was not a cap dump, he was coming off a 36 pts season in 56 game. its 53 in a 82 regular season. Its l8ke you telling me novak is a cap dump.

L'heureux still a project, he didn't played a single game in the NHL. He did great thing in playoff, that's doesn't mean he will translate it to thr NHL level.

we talk about a 90-100pts player, its like leafs offering something like knies and Minten for Josi and you're telling leafs giving too much.

mydnyte

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Sep 8, 2004
I think the obvious need for the Leafs is to rid themselves of the 11million cap hit, no? Did I need to include that? Also, there aren't many teams in a position to take on marners salary without sending back cap. So looking elsewhere is limited
there is no 'need' to eliminate that cap hit, the Leafs lose any Marner deal they make.
freeing his salary would only offer flexibility to bring in lower quality players to replace the superior player
the leafs only need to sign 2 d-men and decide what to do in net, they have enough cap space to do that, they have more forwards than then can put into the lineup already and need to shed some (without resigning UFA's Domi/Bert).

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
last-train-tocool.blogspot.com
Iafallo was not a cap dump, he was coming off a 36 pts season in 56 game. its 53 in a 82 regular season. Its l8ke you telling me novak is a cap dump.

L'heureux still a project, he didn't played a single game in the NHL. He did great thing in playoff, that's doesn't mean he will translate it to thr NHL level.

we talk about a 90-100pts player, its like leafs offering something like knies and Minten for Josi and you're telling leafs giving too much.

We are talking about an undersized winger who is being moved because he "can't perform" in the playoffs and allegedly the vibes are off who makes nearly 11 million.

Big difference between that and a 1st pairing defenseman that scores 80-90 and is signed for 9 million.

Iafallo was a cap dump for the Kings and was playing 4th line minutes for the Jets by the end of the year.

And the Preds are essentially offer up 3 1sts in a package that is very similar to what was offered for Eichel.

Reactions: Viqsi

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
We are talking about an undersized winger who is being moved because he "can't perform" in the playoffs and allegedly the vibes are off who makes nearly 11 million.

Big difference between that and a 1st pairing defenseman that scores 80-90 and is signed for 9 million.

Iafallo was a cap dump for the Kings and was playing 4th line minutes for the Jets by the end of the year.

And the Preds are essentially offer up 3 1sts in a package that is very similar to what was offered for Eichel.

can't perform, he pratically a pts/ game in playoff and just as exemple, played 84% vs boston top 6. Even Barkov selke winner playing that much against top, just as exemple matthews is at 64% and hes the only leafs player to get a positive goal for- goal against against opposite top 6 last 3 year

iafallo doesn't work for Winnipeg, doesn't mean he was a cap dump when he was traded. Its like novak, if preds trade him and that doesn't work in his new team, it would not be a cap dump

And Marner valur is pretty similar to eichel in my mind if he reached an extension without all injury risk coming with his neck surgery. we talk about a gane changer

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
can't perform, he pratically a pts/ game in playoff and just as exemple, played 84% vs boston top 6. Even Barkov selke winner playing that much against top, just as exemple matthews is at 64% and hes the only leafs player to get a positive goal for- goal against against opposite top 6 last 3 year

iafallo doesn't work for Winnipeg, doesn't mean he was a cap dump when he was traded. Its like novak, if preds trade him and that doesn't work in his new team, it would not be a cap dump

And Marner valur is pretty similar to eichel in my mind if he reached an extension without all injury risk coming with his neck surgery. we talk about a gane changer

Okay. If Marner returns a better package than a young top four RHD, a solid winger prospect and a 1st, I'll be shocked.

Albus Dumbledore

Master of Death
Mar 28, 2015
I feel the Leafs are gonna get their way if there's a trade. Lots of trade partners. Marners an elite player(usually). Leafs need flexibility. If Marners available it's gonna hurt. IMHO.

Armourboy

Hey! You suck!
Jan 20, 2014
Shelbyville, TN
I feel the Leafs are gonna get their way if there's a trade. Lots of trade partners. Marners an elite player(usually). Leafs need flexibility. If Marners available it's gonna hurt. IMHO.
On the trade partners, not really. The only trade partners they have are the ones Marner says they have. That could be 10 or it could be 1.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife
If there's a Marner to Nashville trade I feel like it's pretty clearly gonna be Saros+

Marner has 100% control over it. In straight value, I think they're going to lose any trade they make. The value is going to be in restructuring their roster away from how top heavy it is

Strangle

May 4, 2009

Marner is the best player traded in years if this happens, the Leafs are going to do well if he moves

HockeyVirus

Woll stan.
Nov 15, 2020
Typical HFboards where the Leafs are moving a yearly 90+ winger who has had selke finishes and a 22 year old who paced for 30 goals in the NHL and people are scoffing at prospects being dealt.

Leafs have no interest in this deal. The window is 4 years when Matthews expires. We need prime aged pieces in return.

Marner is the best player traded in years if this happens, the Leafs are going to do well if he moves

Yes. And people ignore the fact after July 1st he is paid league min. A team could trade for him and sign him 8 years and effectively that money is over 9 years. That is massive value to a lot of teams.

Even if they didn't want to commit, lots of owners would squeal for a 100 point winger making league min even if it meant renting them for the year then flipping him at the TDL.

Marner is not a cap dump.

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
Nope. And if those two proposals were in any way even remotely comparable you might have just made an interesting point.

liljegren and fabbro are pretty similar type of dman. 2 25 y/o dman who struggling just to keep a spot in the line up and was looking nothing more than a depht D

tomasino pretty similar than robertson, 2 prospect who had succes in AHl but struggling to translate it in the NHL.

both are like 4 0.25$ for 1 $

2 1st pick

sorry i dont know how it could be more comparable than that

Gurglesons

Dec 18, 2009
San Diego, CA
do you consider liljegren, robertson and a 1st pick for Josi like a good deal?

You are ignoring position, contract, and the market / context of the trade.

If Marner is moved it is because he was a playoff failure in Toronto. He isn't getting full value. He's undersized and a winger. You can go read any of my past posts, I think Marner is incredibly underrated and one of the best wingers in the game, but that won't be how he's viewed in the context of this trade.

Josi on the other hand is a top five defenseman, signed for multiple years on arguably a undervalue deal, that scores 80+ points a year. He is exactly the type of piece that teams give up a boatload for.

If Marner was 6'3, put up 100 points and played C, I'd get the argument that even as a UFA, he'd return a lot of value, but he isn't.

I just don't see a team that has the cap space to absorb Marner giving up huge value. It's like a lesser version of EK65 last season.

Reactions: Viqsi

Strangle

May 4, 2009
Typical HFboards where the Leafs are moving a yearly 90+ winger who has had selke finishes and a 22 year old who paced for 30 goals in the NHL and people are scoffing at prospects being dealt.

Leafs have no interest in this deal. The window is 4 years when Matthews expires. We need prime aged pieces in return.

Yes. And people ignore the fact after July 1st he is paid league min. A team could trade for him and sign him 8 years and effectively that money is over 9 years. That is massive value to a lot of teams.

Even if they didn't want to commit, lots of owners would squeal for a 100 point winger making league min even if it meant renting them for the year then flipping him at the TDL.

Marner is not a cap dump.

Just wait until Marner is wearing a not-maple leaf jersey

He will all of a sudden win every HFboards poll he is in :laugh:

Reactions: HockeyVirus

thusk

Jul 15, 2011
Chicoutimi
You are ignoring position, contract, and the market / context of the trade.

If Marner is moved it is because he was a playoff failure in Toronto. He isn't getting full value. He's undersized and a winger. You can go read any of my past posts, I think Marner is incredibly underrated and one of the best wingers in the game, but that won't be how he's viewed in the context of this trade.

Josi on the other hand is a top five defenseman, signed for multiple years on arguably a undervalue deal, that scores 80+ points a year. He is exactly the type of piece that teams give up a boatload for.

If Marner was 6'3, put up 100 points and played C, I'd get the argument that even as a UFA, he'd return a lot of value, but he isn't.

I just don't see a team that has the cap space to absorb Marner giving up huge value. It's like a lesser version of EK65 last season.

the fact leafs had problem in playoff is a reason why leafs want to change thing.

We talking about superstar, no body will trash talk about kucherov/ pastrnak or whatever and trying to reduce his value. Superstars is superstar and every team will want him on their team and if its the better offer on the table, i guarantee you marner will be in Toronto next season.

Ek is a poison in a locker room, a guy you can't create any system around him. He play the karlsson way whatver what and f*** everything else... please don't compare marner to this guy, it's not even close.

• Haha
Reactions: Golden_Jet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad