LeBrun: Preds and Jets watching Simmonds

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
All i can think of is why? The Jets could use C or D, not a winger..

Correct.......Simmonds would be a total waste of assets for the Jets......fills zero needs or holes in the lineup.

Reactions: Snowman

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
Why do you say Defense is a big need for the Flyers....if it's a young guy you are adding?

Provy Ghost
Sanheim Gudas
Morin Myers
Hagg Friedman
Hogberg Bernhardt
Zamula Ginning
Kalynuk

They don't need any young D. They could use a vet guy to play with Provy to go against top lines and slot others into easier matchups....like a Pesce.

Anyways, back to Simmonds. With multiple teams likely bidding on him, he likely gets a 1st +. It's just a matter of what that + is that teams add. Or does a team go for a bigger deal with Philly.

Keep bidding!!!
Gudas won’t be with this team long term, although I would like him to be.

Hagg is nothing more than a 5/6 and is easily replaceable.

Provorov has #1 upside. Ghost has top 2 potential and Sanheim has good T4 upside. Same thing with Myers. Generally speaking we have our T4 figures out.

Morin is also in the mix filling out some spots. The one thing is, everyone that isn’t one of those names is still a long term project and they don’t have a better chance of cracking the team than let’s say anyone else. If so, their upside, generally speaking, doesn’t tap that of Morin. Allard is a good prospect who has more upside than most of our other prospects. Plays a game very similar to Gudas, but is much better offensively. Although allard isn’t NHL ready defensively, he’s closer than anyone we have.

I’d be willing to trade for the right vet, not just anyone vet to fill the role of “mentor”. Muzzin is one that comes to mind, but I don’t see LA being interested in Simmonds. There’s also Edler in VAN, but he doesn’t want to go away from VAN. I don’t think there’s a viable mentor “vet” that would be available for Simmonds.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Gudas won’t be with this team long term, although I would like him to be.

Hagg is nothing more than a 5/6 and is easily replaceable.

Provorov has #1 upside. Ghost has top 2 potential and Sanheim has good T4 upside. Same thing with Myers. Generally speaking we have our T4 figures out.

Morin is also in the mix filling out some spots. The one thing is, everyone that isn’t one of those names is still a long term project and they don’t have a better chance of cracking the team than let’s say anyone else. If so, their upside, generally speaking, doesn’t tap that of Morin. Allard is a good prospect who has more upside than most of our other prospects. Plays a game very similar to Gudas, but is much better offensively. Although allard isn’t NHL ready defensively, he’s closer than anyone we have.

I’d be willing to trade for the right vet, not just anyone vet to fill the role of “mentor”. Muzzin is one that comes to mind, but I don’t see LA being interested in Simmonds. I don’t think there’s a viable mentor “vet” that would be available for Simmonds.
I agree with what you say here, but with Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Gudas, Morin, Hagg all here next year...and with 4 of them being LHD, trading for a LHD prospect seems wrong to me. No idea if he can play the right side. I guess I would rather just make another trade to add a Dman that is already an upgrade on what we have and older as well....like a Pesce. Adding a solid guy would really help. Adding another kid would not IMO since we already need to add Myers and Morin to the mix.

CapnZin

Jul 20, 2017
Sweden
I agree with what you say here, but with Provy, Ghost, Sanheim, Myers, Gudas, Morin, Hagg all here next year...and with 4 of them being LHD, trading for a LHD prospect seems wrong to me. No idea if he can play the right side. I guess I would rather just make another trade to add a Dman that is already an upgrade on what we have and older as well....like a Pesce. Adding a solid guy would really help. Adding another kid would not IMO since we already need to add Myers and Morin to the mix.
There’s also something I didn’t add that you hinted to; handedness. Allard is also a RHD by the way.

Ghost is arguably better as a RHD. He seemingly has played his best hockey on that side, unless this season is an anomaly. As a LHD, Sanheim has looked very good playing the #2 (RHD) spot next to Provorov.

I see:

Provorov - Sanheim/Ghost
Sanheim/Ghost - Myers/Gudas/Ghost
Morin/Hagg - Myers/Gudas

For next year without the addition of that “mentor vet”. If this year is an anomaly, 2 players become expendable with 1 more so than the other. Those two are Hagg (more expendable) and Gudas. Gudas less so due to experience.

This would put in the AHL: *Hypothetically* Friedman, Allard, Hogberg?, Bernhardt (maybe SHL) as our prospects with the phantoms. Allard easily tops them. Friedman is decent, but he’s a poor mans Allard.

It’s possible that if the hypothetical trade candidate Allard does come here, he may only have room on the bottom pair. To me, he projects to be a Gudas who is geared towards offensive play that also has a really physical edge. Think of a very intimidating 2-way pair of Morin - Allard.

KingBogo

Admitted Homer
Nov 29, 2011
Winnipeg
The Jets could absolutely use Simmonds. At minimum he is a clear upgrade on Appleton, Lemieux or Petan the guys rotating in on the 4th line. It comes down to cost. IMO he is not worth the cost of a 1st round pick or one of our 2 top prospects (Samberg and Vesalainen) after that I'd be open to lesser picks or prospects.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
There’s also something I didn’t add that you hinted to; handedness. Allard is also a RHD by the way.

Ghost is arguably better as a RHD. He seemingly has played his best hockey on that side, unless this season is an anomaly. As a LHD, Sanheim has looked very good playing the #2 (RHD) spot next to Provorov.

I see:

Provorov - Sanheim/Ghost
Sanheim/Ghost - Myers/Gudas/Ghost
Morin/Hagg - Myers/Gudas

For next year without the addition of that “mentor vet”. If this year is an anomaly, 2 players become expendable with 1 more so than the other. Those two are Hagg (more expendable) and Gudas. Gudas less so due to experience.

This would put in the AHL: *Hypothetically* Friedman, Allard, Hogberg?, Bernhardt (maybe SHL) as our prospects with the phantoms. Allard easily tops them. Friedman is decent, but he’s a poor mans Allard.

It’s possible that if the hypothetical trade candidate Allard does come here, he may only have room on the bottom pair. To me, he projects to be a Gudas who is geared towards offensive play that also has a really physical edge. Think of a very intimidating 2-way pair of Morin - Allard.
Funny story...when I went to see Allard's info on EP, there is an ad showing a LHD and I just saw that and went with him being a LHD.

Personally, I don't think any of Ghost or Sanheim should be on the top pair because I would rather use it as a true shutdown pair. Hence why I mention a Pesce type there.

I will say that knowing he is a RHD and plays like Gudas, then I would be more open to it as his replacement. Because I do think we need that physical element. Hence why I want Morin playing!!

I just don't see it as a "need", I guess. I want our current younglings to play...thinking Myers and Morin. Hagg can get traded...don't care...lol.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
The Jets could absolutely use Simmonds. At minimum he is a clear upgrade on Appleton, Lemieux or Petan the guys rotating in on the 4th line. It comes down to cost. IMO he is not worth the cost of a 1st round pick or one of our 2 top prospects (Samberg and Vesalainen) after that I'd be open to lesser picks or prospects.
Then you won't get him. With all the "talking heads" mentioning all these teams wanting to be in on Simmonds, he is likely going to get that 1st+.

Gm's and coaches love that tough, grind it out forward who can score ugly goals and has those "intangibles". Not saying it makes sense, but most coaches are old school and value that stuff.

As I said in the Weal thread, no playoff team is "looking" to add a Weal type. They 100% are looking to add a Simmonds type.

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011

That’s the thing though, him playing on the 4th doesn’t warrant his cost. Let someone else pay it, we should get someone who would add real value at 2C or LHD.

BigFatCat999

First Fubu and now Pred303. !@#$! you cancer
Apr 23, 2007
Campbell, NY
Preds are comparison shopping Simmons s. Stone and see which one is a better value. The Trashers are trying to throw a monkey wrench. If the Trash block a Simmons move the Preds will try for Stone.

Tripod

I hate this team
Aug 12, 2008
Nova Scotia
Wonder what the price would be. A Toronto media guy suggested it would cost the Leafs Nylander and I laughed.
You will have to outbid Boston

;)

CBC talking how Cassidy said Pastrnak would be double shifted because they needed more from the #2RW spot.

Would not shock me if they come calling too.

But yeah...it won't cost WN. That's just dumb.

Dumpster Flyers

Jun 21, 2006
No need to scout him. Everyone already knows he's an elite net-front presence with quick feet and a wicked shot. I swear to god.

Last edited:
Reactions: Blueston

DJB

Jan 6, 2009
twitter.com
I don't see the point in the Jets going after him. Ehlers/Wheeler/Connor/Laine are our top six wingers. Then we have Perreault/Tanev/Roslovic/Appleton/Lemieux/Petan for depth. A luxury at best, and probably doesn't come cheap.

What if Wheeler was moved back to C? Opens up a RW spot for Simmonds.

Ehlers - Scheifele - Simmonds
Connor - Wheeler - Laine.

Two first lines lol. Disgusting to be honest

Reactions: jetsforever

Snowman

Oct 12, 2007
Texas
Hen

Hense us intrested in him as a rental? I agree though, not interested if the price is high
We have wingers out the wazoo, so why waste assets on another one. I'd much rather spend the assets to get more depth where we need it, like on D or C, than spend assets to make us even deeper at our deepest position. Hence, the only take him if it doesn't cost much.

Laveuglette

Le meilleur receveur de passes de tous les temps
Apr 5, 2011
Quebec
Simmonds is still a very good player in the right role, would fit NSH well too. I'd be very surprised if we get less than a 1st for him.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
The Preds can have him, the Jets will take Couturier and/or Sanheim.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad