Speculation: Predict the cap move

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do the Oilers get under the cap?

• Total voters

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
If we are LTIRing Kane he needs to be on day one roster so we accrue cap otherwise we run into another Klefbom situation where we don’t get max cap at the deadline
Yeah the Vegas loophole, max cap at the deadline and magicially he's healed for the playoffs.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I think McLeod is the odd man out and has some value around the league.

Top 6 is now set on paper.

Kane-Henrique-Perry
Janmark-Holloway/Ryan-Brown

Don't like McLeod playing C and there is no room on wing.

McLeod + Ceci/Kulak for prospect

Reactions: Bring Back Bucky

bucks_oil

Aug 25, 2005
Kane to LTIR, and if he comes back early, they trade Ceci. (I think that adds up.)

This... Kane to LTIR gives them plenty of wiggle room, they experiment with D-pairings and then trade Ceci if required (ie Kane comes back).

They can also trade Kane to a team that can make full use of his $5M... we are only using about half of it at the moment... sign Holloway and Broberg and we're using all of it, but trade Kane and we are about even.

I think they will explore a trade destination for Kane but will be find having him back if necessary.

Yeah the Vegas loophole, max cap at the deadline and magicially he's healed for the playoffs.

Aren't Broberg and Holloway still waiver ineligible? If yes, problem solved no? They start game 1 in AHL and get called up for game 2?

Reactions: Oilhawks

MinisterOfSinister

Aug 31, 2008
I'm guessing the plan is to LTIR Kane. It works for everyone else, why not the Oilers.
D is already a little on the thin side. Giving Kane time to heal gets us under the cap, and if need be we can move someone or two for an upgrade on the backend at the deadline.
That's what I'm going with anyways.

McBigYak

Nov 4, 2015
Calgary Alberta
Not the biggest fan of Ceci but ultimately if they need to move him out to add all these forwards, we get weaker on the back end.

Ceci is a completely serviceable bottom pairing guy who is likely slightly overpaid to be in that role. If they move him out as a cap dump, we get worse IMO.

Kane to LTIR makes the most sense. He seems really banged up.

Macblender

May 5, 2014
If possible LTIR Kane pending his injury is something that would keep him out for the season. Then move Ceci for a retained D man at the deadline to upgrade in a cap in cap out deal

Roderek

Dec 29, 2022
I think it is Kane to LTIR, my concern is that I don't think Kane will be the good soldier and sit quietly on LTIR if he is healthy enough to play. Which could really screw the team.

oilcountry17

Aug 27, 2007
edmonton
My guess is we sign both Broberg and Holloway combined 2.7 million, with one being signed after training camp. Trade Ceci for late pick or future consideration and LTIR Kane start season by sending Down J brown and Ryan to be cap compliant day 1.

Reactions: Jimmi McJenkins

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet
Moving Ceci and waiving one of Ryan or Brown should be enough, so I'd imagine that's the plan if Kane can play. They're waiting on doctors right now.

2RD is going to be a sore spot all season, again.

russ99

Jun 9, 2011

Kane-Henrique-Perry

Holloway continuing to improve could also push RNH to third line C.

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
I'm guessing the plan is to LTIR Kane. It works for everyone else, why not the Oilers.
D is already a little on the thin side. Giving Kane time to heal gets us under the cap, and if need be we can move someone or two for an upgrade on the backend at the deadline.
That's what I'm going with anyways.
Might be enough to start the season but you can't LTIR him for the whole season.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Kane to LTIR to heal from two years of significant injuries. Ceci traded looking at the Oilers targeted free agent depth signing of 3rd pair, 7th d right shot defensemen, all with slightly different skills (Stetcher, Brown, Carrick). Run with a platoon at 3RD.

Bit of a risk with RD. Liking giving a lot of rope to Broberg to grab 2RD. But think they finally target top 4 RD upgrade at trade deadline.

EDIT: Ammending to Kane on IR not LTIR. Oil bank cap space for deadline. Looks like with Broberg & Holloway minimum qualifying offer plus 2 of 3 (Stetcher, Brown, Carrick) will come in at Ceci's $3.2 million cap hit. Think they likely have a Ceci trade or trades options in the hopper pending on Free Agency shaking out further for one or more clubs.

Last edited:

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta

Kane-Henrique-Perry

I agree, McLeod should probably considering packing his stuff. It wouldn't surprise me if they trade Ceci too. He's a right shot d, and we just saw worse RD than Ceci get signed for more. Not every GM is Rob Blake though, so I could be wrong.

ManofSteel55

Aug 15, 2013
Sylvan Lake, Alberta
The key question for me is signing Broberg and Holloway. Or knowing how much each will wont. Then we can figure out who has gotta be traded or what move we can do
The negotiations shouldn't be too long for either, I would guess. Neither has made a big impact at the NHL level yet - both looked good in the playoffs, but neither have put up the numbers that would make you think they are getting a huge raise. I think both of their QO's were around $850,000. Holloway had a slightly larger cap hit due to signing bonus, so given their limited time playing pro so far, they could probably get these guys both for 2 year deals at around $1 million.

Aerchon

Jul 20, 2011
I am not a Ceci fan in general from watching Ottawa back in the day.

But.

For his cap hit I have felt he has been good to great playing in a top 4 role. We now know without doubt that Nurse is a big reason why that pair struggles at times. His unorthodox play and poor passing leads to that pairing being rough... as basically ever Nurse pairing can be rough with him on the ice...

So I am again surprised that Ceci is again drawing the fire of Oilers fans.

I thought he has been solid for us and the playoffs more good than bad for sure. At an extremely small fraction of what Nurse is costing us. I highly doubt we could ever replace what Ceci does for this team at that cap hit. Not to mention he is a RD which is much tougher to get.

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
Changed vote from Kane trade to Kane LTIR after listening to Seravalli today. Sounds like Kane getting 2nd opinions on surgery which would take him out for the year.

Lets see what happens when oilers announce Kane is on LTIR BUT will be back for the playoffs... WIll the loop hole close on the spot

Plus we will have to give Calgary a 3rd round pick.

FlameChampion

Jul 13, 2011
I think it is Kane to LTIR, my concern is that I don't think Kane will be the good soldier and sit quietly on LTIR if he is healthy enough to play. Which could really screw the team.

This is my fear as well. He agrees to go on LTIR and then he starts to feel good in February. Is he going to cause a problem for the team?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad