Speculation: Predict the cap move

• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

How do the Oilers get under the cap?

• Total voters

russ99

Jun 9, 2011
Team is currently $2.5M over the cap with both Broberg and Holloway to sign.

A cap move needs to be made for the Oilers to be cap compliant come game one of the season.

Make your call.
Moves. Ceci is only $3.25M and we still need to sign Holloway and Broberg, that’s another $2.5M minimum.

Plus who do you hide in the AHL to clear enough space to fit Kane under the cap on league day 1 so he can go on LTIR?

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton
I think it has to be Kane either traded or on LTIR. Not sure there’s enough cap space to sign Holloway and Broberg as we are 2.5M over right now.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
Moves. Ceci is only $3.25M and we still need to sign Holloway and Broberg, that’s another $2.5M minimum.

Plus who do you hide in the AHL to clear enough space to fit Kane under the cap on league day 1 so he can go on LTIR?
You can LTIR a player in the offseason. Doesnt need to fit under cap for opening day 1.

I think it has to be Kane either traded or on LTIR. Not sure there’s enough cap space to sign Holloway and Broberg as we are 2.5M over right now.
If they both sign for 1m though, the players they're replacing will be waived so we'll end up at the same amount over.

Say they sign for 1m each, Ryan and Brown could get waived and it would be no different on the cap.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
This is a fair point.

If you dealt Ceci with no cap coming back and then the team sends Ryan down to the minors you would potentially have enough to sign both Broberg and Holloway, but both would likely need to take a deal about 25K under their current qualifying offers. It might be a situation where you'd have to tell them, hey take this cut now and we'll make it right at your next deal. McLeod did something similar coming out of his ELC.

You wouldn't need to hide anyone in the AHL. You don't need to get under the cap on day one. He can go on LTIR right away. If that was the plan, we'd actually want to be adding ~$2.5M in salary so that we would be able to utilize his full caphit.

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
You can LTIR a player in the offseason. Doesnt need to fit under cap for opening day 1.

If they both sign for 1m though, the players they're replacing will be waived so we'll end up at the same amount over.

Say they sign for 1m each, Ryan and Brown could get waived and it would be no different on the cap.
If we are LTIRing Kane he needs to be on day one roster so we accrue cap otherwise we run into another Klefbom situation where we don’t get max cap at the deadline

5 Mins 4 Ftg

Life is better with no expectations.
Sponsor
Apr 3, 2016
Edmonton

True but Brown gets claimed on a waiver wire transaction would be my guess. Maybe Perry. Either way I think Kane’s days are numbered here.

Tobias Kahun

Oct 3, 2017
If we are LTIRing Kane he needs to be on day one roster so we a true cap otherwise we run into another Klefbom situation where we don’t get max cap at the deadline
Yes, but thats not always possible.

And unless hes out for the whole year, someone will need to be moved when he comes back.

It's also annoying that we dont accrue space while we're into LTIR so you cant make a big deadline add.

True but Brown gets claimed on a waiver wire transaction would be my guess. Maybe Perry. Either way I think Kane’s days are numbered here.
I agree that his days are numbered, but if he goes out, I think they need to get some beef upfront to replace him.

Spawn

Something in the water
Feb 20, 2006
Edmonton
If we are LTIRing Kane he needs to be on day one roster so we a true cap otherwise we run into another Klefbom situation where we don’t get max cap at the deadline
Nah he doesn't. Once you're into LTIR you don't accrue cap space no matter what.

They'd just need to make sure they are exceeding the cap by Kane's full $5.125M hit. That gives you the full amount to work with.

Reactions: nturn06

WaitingForUser

Mar 19, 2010
Edmonton
Yes, but thats not always possible.

And unless hes out for the whole year, someone will need to be moved when he comes back.

It's also annoying that we dont accrue space while we're into LTIR so you cant make a big deadline add.

I agree that his days are numbered, but if he goes out, I think they need to get some beef upfront to replace him.
Broberg won’t need waivers can we think of anyone else we can sneak passed until day one is over?

Tarus

Jun 22, 2006
Edmonton
This is a tough one

Mcleod - lost trust with the coaching staff as the playoffs went on, and isn't showing much improvement in his consistency and grit. Also probably the easiest player of any that the Oilers might move to dump without gaining any salary back. Really well liked in the room though.
Ceci - Got scratched once, but pretty consistently got his 2nd/3rd pair minutes right through to the end. Pretty important piece to the PK which may necessitate keeping him with VD gone, even surpassing Nurse in a role there.
Kulak - good playoff performer, but strictly used in a 3rd pairing role minutes wise, and basically isn't used on the PK at all(was shocked to see how little he actually played there). Moving him might allow an easier transition for Broberg instead of making the rookie play on his offside with a difficult to play with partner like Nurse.

I'm gonna go with Mcleod and Kulak. Kulak is an expensive luxury on the bottom pairing, and Mcleod might not have left the best impression on the new coaching staff

Last edited:

Sheikyerbouti

ShakeyerMcBooty
Nov 4, 2006
Van isle
Ceci for draft pick(s) next imo. We need draft equity and Jackson seems to have lined it up perfectly. Then Kane to LTIR and we accrue cap space

Stecher/Brown fails and we trade back picks for another 6RD before the playoffs. It's the smart move, despite the risk.

I wanted McLeod gone last season but we should hold on to him for now imo.

Reactions: 5Hollywood5

tiger_80

Apr 11, 2007
They move McLeod for cap space (future considerations, 4th round pick), and place Kane on the LTIR.

I wonder if they could move Ceci for like a 2nd rounder and just go with what we've got until the trade deadline and then spend the 2nd rounder+ on someone available who is better.
It makes no sense to move Ceci. He's dirt cheap for his skillset and only has one year remaining. Good teams are deep at D, and it will cost a lot to upgrade on Ceci.

Reactions: ottawah

StoveTopStauffer

Apr 6, 2012
who replaces Ceci is the problem
I don't think it matters all that much. This team is not going to collapse without a Ceci. Rotate players like Kulak and Broberg into elevated roles depending on their play. Even out the the Ceci minutes between 3 other Dmen until whenever TDL is.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad