Friedman: Predators looking for a center

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I don’t understand why Novak doesn’t get a long leash or more true top six minutes. Is his play away from the puck that bad? He’s a high-level producer in mediocre minutes - is that just who he is always going to be…a guy who loses impact or has too many deficiencies when he gets a bigger load?

Reactions: Porter Stoutheart

beardawg

Feb 12, 2015
Washington, DC
I don’t understand why Novak doesn’t get a long leash or more true top six minutes. Is his play away from the puck that bad? He’s a high-level producer in mediocre minutes - is that just who he is always going to be…a guy who loses impact or has too many deficiencies when he gets a bigger load?
I think he's the kind of guy that thrives against a teams middle six, but if you're expecting him to go against Crosby, Mackinnon, McDavid, Barkov, etc.. he's invisible offensively and incapable of containing them defensively

Kat Predator

Nov 28, 2019
He's got superior skills and can carry/move the puck when it's on his stick. He's got a sneaky good shot. So his offensive numbers look pretty good.

But, yeah, the rest of the stuff you need from an NHL centre, he can be a liability.

As far as load, our coaches seem to play favorites. Some players get exaggerated TOI and others, like Novak, get short changed. It's not always clear why that is exactly. Every player seems to come with a very different length leash.

Soundgarden

Jul 22, 2008
Spring Hill, TN
Same reason Fabbro Tomasino and Parssinen are constantly benched, just Brunette things.

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Does anyone want Red Wings Joe Veleno (24 years old at $2.2m)? Marco Kasper has pushed out a center in Detroit. Copp would be available, but he's overpriced and doesn't have + value.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
I think some of these names are missing the mark. The Preds have plenty of middle 6 and bottom 6 options. Theres no reason for them to entertain the likes of Veleno or Copp.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad