GDT: Pre-season Game Two Kraken at Canucks

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Fistfullofbeer

May 9, 2011
Whidbey Island, WA
Montour is such a smart player. I’m looking forward to seeing what the regular season holds for him. He’s skilled, and seems to have some sandpaper to his game.
I was thinking the same thing. He should help us right away but once he gets comfortable with his new teammates, he could be a big factor.

I have said this a few times but I think have either Dunn or Montour one the ice for around 50 minutes a game is going to be a big advantage of the last two years.

Reactions: Kevinsane

kihei

McEnroe: The older I get, the better I used to be.
Jun 14, 2006
Toronto
Playing Montour 27+ minutes in his first preseason game raised my eyebrows.

Toomany7pins

Dec 4, 2018
Seattle Area
Still need to get shots off on power plays.
Still way too much passing, and not enough shooting.

Tired of 2 guys passing the puck back and forth four times only to not getting a shot off.

This needs to improve ASAP.
A power play is supposed to give you an advantage, not a disadvantage.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
I see I'm going to have to pay attention to Schwartz to see what's going on with my future friend. I have this whole plan to become so smooth personally in my ecosphere that via the butterfly effect it draws superfan Jon Hamm my way, and we go to Blues games together eventually, and he knows all the 2019 Blues. Like David Perron and Petro and Binner

The Marquis

Aug 24, 2020
Washougal, WA
I feel like on paper, the game last night was pretty evenly matched.

We came out on the losing end of it, and largely because we couldn't seem to get decent shooting lanes, but the quality was there.

Some good... Burakovsky looked good. He was fast, carrying the puck well and getting some good looks. He is rusty, so it's a good sign that he's already looking decent. I liked what I saw from Hayden above any of the fringe guys because we need something like that and it made a huge difference compared to the previous season. Schwartz looked lazy and slow in the 1st, but got considerably better as the game progressed. Not sure how I feel about that. Gourde and Tanev haven't lost a step in the effort department. LaJoie impressed me a bit. Seemed to work hard in that Gourde/Tanev style. Just really aggressive and a pest. Montour was great. Best Kraken on the ice. Tolvanen was always noticeable when he was on the ice as well. Usually in a good way and when he wasn't, it was less him and more the Canucks playing well. Meyers got the goal, but started the game drawing my attention in a negative way. Nothing too bad, but he turned it around once the goal came. Needed a confidence boost maybe? Borgen looked good. He played really hard like he had something to prove. Added needed toughness, and seemed to be more aggressive and tough than previous seasons. Definitely liked what I saw.

The red flags were few and but a couple of things stood out to me. Melanson was a guy I noticed as lacking somewhat in the Hockey IQ department as a few instances he looked to not really know what to do. I think he also had a few "skill" mishaps too that might have led to those moments. Morrison looked alright early on, but started to give the puck away in the neutral zone with little pressure later in the game. That could be on his line mates not being where they should, but it still felt a little silly. Sale sure isn't very physical. In board battles he might be the most timid guy I've ever seen play for an NHL team. Winterton looked good early on, but that entire line just wasn't the same as the game progressed. I felt like they were regularly outmatched in transition.

That's about all of my thoughts. Overall a good game and gave me a lot of hope about certain players, and even those I mention in the "red flags", none of those players stood out as "very not ready" as a few did in the previous game.

Reactions: kihei

Ad

Latest posts

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad