Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] Game 2 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Calgary Flames | 4-3 OT (Sasson, Debrusk(2), & Sprong)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Bourne Endeavor

Apr 6, 2009
Montreal, Quebec
I hate to call a pre-season game a “must win”, but to say Canucks fans won’t be eyeing the panic button after a loss would just be lying.

Get the win

I couldn't care less if we win, myself. It's pre-season. I want to see chemistry being worked on and prospects looking to take the next step. Now I don't want us getting blown out like last year but hey, things worked out pretty well. :laugh:

Reactions: Coffees

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
No Lankinen yet?
I don't feel like Sprong is a fringe guy. He's going to be on the team.
Isn't that a little less set in stone on a Tocchett team, given his defensive issues? I struggle to see Tocchett putting him in the regular lineup if his systems buy-in isn't at least somewhat manageable, which isn't guaranteed (just like Kuzmenko wasn't).

Or do you just mean even as a healthy scratch on the team?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
So what's happening with Lankinen?

Isn't that a little less set in stone on a Tocchett team, given his defensive issues? I struggle to see Tocchett putting him in the regular lineup if his systems buy-in isn't at least somewhat manageable, which isn't guaranteed.

I'm sure there's a possibility he isn't in Tocchet's selected 12 forwards on some nights but I'm absolutely certain he'll be on the 23-man roster to start the season.

Aman, Raty, PDG, Karlsson are the guys battling for the last spot or two and any of those guys could be sent down.

Reactions: Nucker101

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think Sprong is a lock to be on the team, but he’s not locked into a starting 12 position. I think we’re all going to be commenting on how unengaged and float-y he looks this preseason, but see how good his shot and rush skills are.

Reactions: Nucker101

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
Kind of awesome to see this contention window open up for us AND having a few solid prospects knocking on the door at the same time. I have high hopes that the next 4-6 years could be the best in our franchises' entire history. 🙏
That's a reach when our backbone of the team can't stay healthy

TruGr1t

Proper Villain
Jun 26, 2003
I think Sprong is a lock to be on the team, but he’s not locked into a starting 12 position. I think we’re all going to be commenting on how unengaged and float-y he looks this preseason, but see how good his shot and rush skills are.

He’s pretty much locked to start the season if Joshua isn’t back. I can’t see him losing out to PDG or Karlsson. At the very least he’ll flank the fourth line to start. How long that lasts who knows.

Once Joshua is back it depends on how Lekkerimäki is doing, as Hoglander looks good and that leaves one less slot for Sprong.

If they decide to send Lekkerimäki down, Sprong is even more locked, and may flank Pettersson to start since Hoglander looks like he’ll be replacing Joshua opposite Garland.

WetcoastOrca

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
I believe Lankinen just arrived in town yesterday, or the day before. Methinks they want him to get a few practices in before throwing him into a game.
If Demko is back soon and Lankinen impresses we could have a tough decision with 3 NHL goalies. Given Demko’s recent injury history I think they keep all 3 and send Silovs down but he’s obviously not going to be happy. It’s the only thing that makes sense though.

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
If Demko is back soon and Lankinen impresses we could have a tough decision with 3 NHL goalies. Given Demko’s recent injury history I think they keep all 3 and send Silovs down but he’s obviously not going to be happy. It’s the only thing that makes sense though.

I think they're basically just stacking assets and if both Silovs and Lankinen have played well at the point where Demko comes back it's a very nice problem to have. There's always some team needing a goalie and we're in great position to essentially turn this free, cheap signing of Lankinen into a reasonably decent asset pretty shortly down the road.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
No Lankinen yet?

Isn't that a little less set in stone on a Tocchett team, given his defensive issues? I struggle to see Tocchett putting him in the regular lineup if his systems buy-in isn't at least somewhat manageable, which isn't guaranteed (just like Kuzmenko wasn't).

I think Tocchet said he expects to have Sprong in his office after games for the first month or so if he needs to clarify how to play in his systems or something to that effect. It was in an interview from last week.

Reactions: Lindgren

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad