Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] Game 1 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Seattle Kraken | 3-1 (Hoglander, Hronek, & Suter)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Feb 20, 2013
Linus Karlsson is another prospect who had a good game. For whatever reason he strikes me as the type of player who always looks less good than he is because he is such an ugly skater. I suspect that he will eventually be a sort of analytical darling type player who is legitimately a positive possession/shot quality driver at the NHL level, but who doesn't get the credit or icetime he deserves because he doesn't look sexy while doing it. His standout traits are boards play, and in-tight net-front play, so just about the two least impressive looking attributes from an "eye-test" perspective.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
I have mcdavid after losing in the finals as my pic... your point?

Calling it as I see is not trolling bub

Get real
Sure bub. If you are a nucks fan what does that say about what you post like that the dozen or so posts I've seen make it seem you literally cheer for another team.

Last edited:

vadim sharifijanov

Oct 10, 2007
unexpectedly came into tickets this morning so i had a bird’s eye view.

raty and lek, it’s hard to see them making the team. they are fine, and they could be in the NHL and just kind of be there.

but it’s so night and day to compare the team now, with real competitive aspirations, to back when hög and pod were young. back then it was ok to have young guys come in and just belong, and it added excitement plus they were getting experience and theoretically learning. now, if you’re not adding something tangible, then you’re not taking someone’s spot.

granted it’s game one of exhibition but i don’t think what they each showed tonight is enough yet to warrant keeping around.

karlsson i’ve liked on tv, but watching him in person, he has tools and some jam but there is just no vision at all there. you can just see that he’s not seeing anything out there.

Svencouver

Apr 8, 2015
Vancouver
I can’t remember the last time I was genuinely impressed by several younger players at once
This is the kind of accumulated interest that organizational competence gets you. Unlike the real world, unfortunately, wealth and excellence really does "trickle down" from top to bottom. Having a solid core of great players fosters additional competition and mentorship, with a strong 4 line deep team being able to both insulate and teach young players when they're inserted into the lineup - resulting in those young players not looking out of place when given the structure to succeed. This is the real boon of contention that teams like Pittsburgh and Tampa took advantage of for so long - having good GMing, Coaching, and overall a high-standard team culture will result in setting the tone for every single player on the roster well before training camp even starts. The development of players like Raty and Silovs that are talented, smart, and hungry - and have been given what they need to succeed by the organization - is a testament to that.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Rutherford predicted before training camp that some kids were going to be knocking on the door, and would legitimately challenge for roster spots this year. I think most everybody thought he was just blowing smoke at the potential of some of the team's better prospects.

But no more. Raty and Lekkerimaki could still end up back in Abbotsford......but they're making it a tough decision for Tocchet, because they fill glaring holes in the lineup--a two-way, third line center and a scoring winger.

MarkusNaslund19

Dec 28, 2005
Saw some of the first and then the extended highlights.

Saw a stunning play by Lekkerimaki where he carried the puck in on the left side and was crowded with nowhere to go.

He backed himself against the boards to buy time and then threw a perfectly weighted saucer pass to the point on the right that was right on the tape of Boeser( I think it was Boeser) who wasn't even in the zone yet when the pass left Lekkerimaki's stick.

That sort of play shows elite vision and a great playmaking touch.

Not saying he's going to be Marc Savard, but clearly this kid has a lot more offensive chops than just a big shot and a knack for getting open.

Bodes well.

BluesyShoes

Unregistered User
Dec 11, 2010

Saw a stunning play by Lekkerimaki where he carried the puck in on the left side and was crowded with nowhere to go.

He backed himself against the boards to buy time and then threw a perfectly weighted saucer pass to the point on the right that was right on the tape of Boeser( I think it was Boeser) who wasn't even in the zone yet when the pass left Lekkerimaki's stick.

Not saying he's going to be Marc Savard, but clearly this kid has a lot more offensive chops than just a big shot and a knack for getting open.

Bodes well.
Was at the game, was pretty surprised with his vision. He processes the game really quickly and has a really good sense of where everyone is on the ice. Watching him was a bit frustrating at times because of how fast he moves the puck when he gets it. The fan in me wants to see him carry the puck and create because he has such great handles, but I'm sure he's just playing out there and is making the play he sees--I just don't think a lot of the guys he was on the ice with were on the same wavelength last night.

I'm curious to see him tonight if he plays with Petey, Debrusk, and Hughes on a powerplay. The kid is a wicked smart playmaker with how he sees the ice; it is a bit evident too in how he pressures on defense. Does a lot of little things to interrupt and slow the play down, cuts off angles really well, pushes guys off their timing before receiving a pass--he seems to understand how small interruptions on the forecheck and in the neutral zone trickle down to slow the play down and allow your defenders down ice more time to close their gaps and clamp down. In one sequence where he was pretty deep in the offesnive zone, he hustled back on a turnover backcheck just so he was there in the neutral zone to give Suter a big boost push on the pants with his stick so Suter could catch up to the play. He's just really smart all over the ice. Where some players have tunnel vision and "dog on bone" mentality (and we certainly do need those playes), I really think Lekk sees the whole ice and plays a few steps ahead on both sides of the puck, he is really interesting to watch as he feels himself through the games at this pace; far more of a team player than I had thought.

tantalum

Hope for the best. Expect the worst
Sponsor
Apr 2, 2002
Missouri
Watched the first 2 periods. IT was late and it's pre-season so not worth staying up for the third.

Raty - skating has definitely improved and he thinks the game at a very high level. Has made significant improvements since last year at this time.

Lekk - showed patience with the puck and some great vision/offensive IQ. Appears to know where he is supposed to be in the defensive zone which is a massive thing to get NHL time.

That's all I was really looking at lol.

Phrasing

Nov 16, 2007
Tocchet in the post-game scrum made it clear they’re going to work with Blais but that he needs to see more out of him. I think he’s trending towards the release of his game doesn’t pick up.

Reactions: WetcoastOrca

Reverend Mayhem

Tell me all your thoughts on God
Feb 15, 2009
Port Coquitlam, BC

Bodes well.

The diagonal to the right point? Impressed the hell out of me. Also, the speed at which he thinks. There were some points where he’s making one touch passes in the O zone. Not a lot of players think that fast that young.

cc

Feb 28, 2002
Like if teddy is not ready? Otherwise I don't think he's coming out, Sutter on the other hand he's fine, solid value but he's never blown me away.
yes. that's what I meant. I think Blueger will miss the start of the season.

ManVanFan

Mar 28, 2024
I haven't watched anything other than the goal highlights. Personally I'm less interested in how the kids do and more about the bubble players.

How were Wolanin and Forbert? Aman and Blais?

LuckyDay

Mar 25, 2011
The Uncanny Valley
Yikes, back to the goaltender having to be our only line of defense. Silovs can't possibly keep that up.

Two for five on the PP last night, all the stupidity on Kray-ken must be embarrassing for them. No one on the bench or in net paying attention. Things almost turned around for them too in the third.

What was our PDO?

SolidSnakeUS

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 13, 2009
Baldwinsville, NY
Do you think Lekk gets an actual look good enough to get some games to start the year with? Or too soon to tell? I know he plays again tonight, so I'm guessing that will be the real test?

Josepho

i want the bartkowski thread back
Jan 1, 2015
British Columbia
Do you think Lekk gets an actual look good enough to get some games to start the year with? Or too soon to tell? I know he plays again tonight, so I'm guessing that will be the real test?
I don't think so. He obviously has some good instincts and some skills that "pop" but it's tough to find a spot in this lineup for a one-dimensional scorer.

Might depend on how he plays against a better preseason lineup.

Reactions: CanadianPirate

iceburg

Don't ask why
Aug 31, 2003
#23 is
The diagonal to the right point? Impressed the hell out of me. Also, the speed at which he thinks. There were some points where he’s making one touch passes in the O zone. Not a lot of players think that fast that young.
This is what really impressed me. So quick. It gives defenders fits.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad