Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] Game 1 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Seattle Kraken | 3-1 (Hoglander, Hronek, & Suter)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Orca Smash

Feb 9, 2012
I can see raty replacing blueger in the lineup to start the season
Like if teddy is not ready? Otherwise I don't think he's coming out, Sutter on the other hand he's fine, solid value but he's never blown me away.

Sexy Necksy Garland

SMD
Sponsor
May 3, 2021
team tomlinson here from last year. he's not great but he is ok and i fnd him less predictable than ferraro.
The diefication of Ray Ferraro...

jack-off-jerk-off.gif

Reactions: Indiana

Fraser28

Jan 13, 2013
Shorthouse stopped being short with him as the season went along and then it wasn’t that bad anymore. Not close to Ferraro’s level, but shorthouse was taking out his frustrations over Cheech’s firing on DT live on air and it sucked.

Firing?

wonton15

Höglander
Dec 13, 2009
I think we see

DeBrusk Pettersson Lekkerimaki
Bains Raty Sprong
Blais Sasson Sherwood

Hughes Juulsen
Soucy Desharnais

Tomorrow

orcatown

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 13, 2003
Visit site
Going to see this kind of hockey a lot if they continue to expand the League. Fringe guys will soon become regulars

Good

Raty - lugged a bit in the skating but was strong on the puck and and made himself dangerous at times. Still don't see him making the team but will get down to the last cuts. Per usual showed good vision and reading of the play. If only his feet would allow him to get there quicker and get more separation to make plays.

Lekkermaki - showed his passing skills and his ability to be cool under pressure. Was not aliability defensively which is the main concern

Myers - best d-man on the night. Don't think he played any different than last year but seems many have to justify there on-going criticisms by saying this is whole new Myers. Got to wonder where those fans are who didn't want Myers back at any price.

Silvos - was outstanding and had to cover up for a lot of poor defensive play around the net.

Hoglander - little better overall although still don't see him as a player who will carry the offense. But if he can be a finisher and not hurt you defensively maybe a top 6 on this team. Remains a player who plays in short bursts

Poor

E. Pettersson - was ok when things were moving smoothly but under pressure, and when the team began to lose form, he was forced into numerous coverage and puck movement errors.

Forbert - too slow to support the play and most often backed in defensively. Kind of player you just hope you can get by with. Remember how the Canucks abused him when he played for LA. Hopefuly Canucks can coach him up so that he doesn't overly hurt the team.

Others

Karlsson - good start but skating limitations showed up as game went on.

Sasson - another with a fairly good first but couldn't sustain it through 2nd and 3rd. Ended up being stuck in his end too much.

Blais - good at pinning people up against the boards and using his stick to keep plays alive. However, fell behind the play at times and you might question if skating is good enough to play a good transition game. At this time still behind someone like Joshua and probably Sherwood.

Aman - Range allows him to keep central to the play in both zones. Just wish he had better shot and offensive tools. Good on the PK.

Heinen - good in parts but did not stand out overall. Complimentary player who needs service. Did show some speed.

Wolanin - always looks good in pre-season but never makes the team. Given needs other team have on defense, he may not get through waivers. Might be better than Forbert.

Suter - helps in some parts of the game but not a top 6 player. Has the inside track on the 3C position however.

Knew I'd miss Zadorov and did in this game.

Wry n Ginger

Water which is too pure has no fish
Sep 15, 2010
Victoria
Couple things...

no No NO NO NO to game threads melding into post game threads Non-starter! "It simply won't do"...

Game threads are a passionate say what you will, hell with the consequences, apologize after the counting of the bodies affair. Game threads should be for who got shaved and will they have a useful productive life afterwards...as if we care...

Post game threads are a must. No problem
Weak-ass continuation...wipe off the garbage and reset the timer because it will be GO time again very soon. 😁

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016
that was a ridiculously good game. credit to the coaching staff that the abby guys are fitting into the team system seamlessly, but also credit the guys chasing bottom six jobs.

i honestly need to see raty do that again and prove it was no fluke. the being a centre part was particularly great. preferably he does it during a road pre-season game against a mostly nhl opposing lineup. he can make the team if he does even though it may cost us someone lost on waivers. karlsson also looked good. both seem more mobile than they were.

hoglander looked superb at camp and that continues. ditto garland. could be a break out year for both.

i think heinan and aman were also fine but totally overshadowed.

i agree d-petey struggled. i still like the simple determined game he tries to play but it is not ready for the nhl.

silovs looked great and i think feisty. the missed poke check on the goal was too aggressive though.

Reactions: Indiana

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
Weird pre-season game. Two teams basically dressing 'road' rosters but very tight with very little space and quite a bit of nastiness, especially involving veteran players.

- obviously a statement game for Silovs who was the best player on the ice. Rock solid. Looked like a guy who wants to be the opening night starter.

- statement game also for Aatu Raty who was probably the team's best all-around forward. One of the best games I've seen him play - skated as well as I've ever seen, had a few quality chances and an assist, strong in all 3 zones, good on the PK, dominated on faceoffs. Of the 'bubble' guys on the roster in this game (Raty, Blais, Aman, Karlsson) he was easily the best. Outplayed Suter as well. Will be interesting to see if he can sustain this.

- Lekkerimaki was ... pretty good. The pile of PPs and PP TOI really helped him as this is where his hand/puck skills obviously shine. Tried a few shot attempts that might work in Sweden but are low-percentage in the NHL but otherwise looked very comfortable on the PP, threw the puck around well, picked up a 2nd assist. At 5-on-5 he had a couple decent plays but also a couple iffy shifts.

- big props to Alriksson for the fight in the small picture for stepping up and in the big picture because his skills won't get him anywhere near the NHL unless he adds this sort of aspect to his game. Other than the fight and the hit preceding it, it was a struggle for him - that line was badly trapped in their zone 3 or 4 times and Alriksson in particular looked lost in those situations and his stop/starts were really rough.

- Blais really didn't look great although wasn't exactly in a position with great linemates to shine. Skating looked problematic.

- Hoglander looked good, nice for him to get off to a good start after the rough way last season ended.

- Boeser was alright, good to see him on the after his illness issues. Heinen was in the right places but didn't do anything dynamic really. Suter really didn't do much with a 1C look tonight.

- Hronek and Myers were both excellent in this game, in a game where they were basically the marquee veterans (and Boeser, but Boeser is in an injury recovery phase). Loved Myers' response to the late hit on Garland.

- EP2 had a struggle. Defending the rush he was solid but this was the fastest game he would have ever played in and he had a nightmare moving the puck as the Seattle forecheckers at him alive. Learning experience, and pretty clear what he needs to work on in Abbotsford. Will surely be cut after this game.

- Forbort looks like a 7D. I still don't get that signing.

- Friedman's insane ability to draw cheap shots and penalties continues.

- thought Wolanin looked very solid after one very poor shift early on. Unfortunately he probably has no chance of making the opening night roster barring a huge run of injuries.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
Is Lekk eligible for the 9 game rookie rule?
I think the 'nine-game rookie rule' refers to players who can only be sent back to junior if they don't make the team. And if they play 10 or more games, their entry level contract automatically kicks in. As for eligibility for the 'Calder', I think the cutoff is 20 games.

ephmrl

5th overall.
Nov 26, 2011
Victoria, BC
He’s not the flashiest, but Raty might be my favorite prospect in the organization. Just such a smart player who seems to have worked extremely hard over the summer at his skating and faceoffs. Really trying to force the team to keep him around by crafting a much needed role for himself as a dependable two way bottom 6 center.

He’s no longer a liability with his ability to get around the ice, and his newfound faceoff skill paired with his IQ and positional play may have him started the regular season as the 3C if this game wasn’t just a one-off.

Reactions: David71

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
Also - Karlsson and Raty had solid workmanlike games. Not sure that either of them possess the skating to really break into a meaningful role, but they’ve worked on the other aspects of their game enough to be useful depth in case of injury, at least.
Raty made a huge jump from the first and 2nd half last season and judging by camp and today,another big jump. He is clearly ready or very close to being ready for a bottom six role but he will be a lot more than that in due time.

The d needs major work, if that forbort is in the top 6 we're in trouble
You have the oilers in your pic and have made multiple troll posts, yet I got banned for calling #97 a whiner in the GDT lol.

Forbort was fine and our D does not need major work but I know a teams who does.

Reactions: LemonSauceD

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
Looking forward to the upcoming Canucks season. It will be a blast spending the upcoming year with you all in discussion and debates regarding the league and most importantly our team. It's going to be a blast.

Bring it on baby!!!
summer has gone by so fast. i just remember like it was yesterday, new years eve then janury than BAM august.. now almost into october. time fliesss hockey season is back!!

He’s not the flashiest, but Raty might be my favorite prospect in the organization. Just such a smart player who seems to have worked extremely hard over the summer at his skating and faceoffs. Really trying to force the team to keep him around by crafting a much needed role for himself as a dependable two way bottom 6 center.

He’s no longer a liability with his ability to get around the ice, and his newfound faceoff skill paired with his IQ and positional play may have him started the regular season as the 3C if this game wasn’t just a one-off.
if he was right handed it would be a big plus. but he isnt. vancouver will have all season to find a Right handed centerman to win those importan dzone draws. back to square one regarding lefties. i.e miller/suter for pk duties.

Last edited:

alicia

~
Apr 11, 2011
Vancouver, B.C
Glad to be back boys, and thanks to everyone who posts their assessments of the players! They really help me dial in what to look for when I'm watching the games.

Here's to a great season! :cheers:

Reactions: Jovofan

David71

Dec 27, 2008
vancouver
It's just a stupid exhibition game. Why so much emotion?

Eyes of a killer...
sometimes 3-4 days of scrimmages betwenn your teammates gets boring. time to release those raging adrenaline against "real competition even if it meant the squad has rookies in them.

who gets cut from tonights game? or have to wait untill tmrs game against calgary with the b squad to determine that?

logan5

May 24, 2011
Vancouver - Mt. Pleasant
Lekkerimaki was ... pretty good. The pile of PPs and PP TOI really helped him as this is where his hand/puck skills obviously shine. Tried a few shot attempts that might work in Sweden but are low-percentage in the NHL but otherwise looked very comfortable on the PP, threw the puck around well, picked up a 2nd assist. At 5-on-5 he had a couple decent plays but also a couple iffy shifts.
Those shots wouldn't have worked in the SHL either. Those are not even close to the type of shots he has scored on in Sweden. Maybe it was Hronek's passing, but Lekk was getting those shots off in an awkward spot, but still managed to get decent velocity on net. He made some good passing plays, and was also pretty good on the forecheck, and he chased the puck down a few times, which you failed to mention. He is not a 1 dimensional player, as you appear to be trying to portray.

Slapshot_11

Aug 30, 2006
You have the oilers in your pic and have made multiple troll posts, yet I got banned for calling #97 a whiner in the GDT lol.

Forbort was fine and our D does not need major work but I know a teams who does.
I have mcdavid after losing in the finals as my pic... your point?

Calling it as I see is not trolling bub

Get real

LemonSauceD

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 31, 2015
Vancouver
Weird pre-season game. Two teams basically dressing 'road' rosters but very tight with very little space and quite a bit of nastiness, especially involving veteran players.

- obviously a statement game for Silovs who was the best player on the ice. Rock solid. Looked like a guy who wants to be the opening night starter.

- statement game also for Aatu Raty who was probably the team's best all-around forward. One of the best games I've seen him play - skated as well as I've ever seen, had a few quality chances and an assist, strong in all 3 zones, good on the PK, dominated on faceoffs. Of the 'bubble' guys on the roster in this game (Raty, Blais, Aman, Karlsson) he was easily the best. Outplayed Suter as well. Will be interesting to see if he can sustain this.

- Lekkerimaki was ... pretty good. The pile of PPs and PP TOI really helped him as this is where his hand/puck skills obviously shine. Tried a few shot attempts that might work in Sweden but are low-percentage in the NHL but otherwise looked very comfortable on the PP, threw the puck around well, picked up a 2nd assist. At 5-on-5 he had a couple decent plays but also a couple iffy shifts.

- big props to Alriksson for the fight in the small picture for stepping up and in the big picture because his skills won't get him anywhere near the NHL unless he adds this sort of aspect to his game. Other than the fight and the hit preceding it, it was a struggle for him - that line was badly trapped in their zone 3 or 4 times and Alriksson in particular looked lost in those situations and his stop/starts were really rough.

- Blais really didn't look great although wasn't exactly in a position with great linemates to shine. Skating looked problematic.

- Hoglander looked good, nice for him to get off to a good start after the rough way last season ended.

- Boeser was alright, good to see him on the after his illness issues. Heinen was in the right places but didn't do anything dynamic really. Suter really didn't do much with a 1C look tonight.

- Hronek and Myers were both excellent in this game, in a game where they were basically the marquee veterans (and Boeser, but Boeser is in an injury recovery phase). Loved Myers' response to the late hit on Garland.

- EP2 had a struggle. Defending the rush he was solid but this was the fastest game he would have ever played in and he had a nightmare moving the puck as the Seattle forecheckers at him alive. Learning experience, and pretty clear what he needs to work on in Abbotsford. Will surely be cut after this game.

- Forbort looks like a 7D. I still don't get that signing.

- Friedman's insane ability to draw cheap shots and penalties continues.

- thought Wolanin looked very solid after one very poor shift early on. Unfortunately he probably has no chance of making the opening night roster barring a huge run of injuries.
I really don’t get the Forbort signing either and it kind of frustrates me that we are essentially forced to have him play 6LD considering his $1.5M cap when Wolanin has shown to be more than capable in pretty much most viewings I’ve seen of him.

It will be an absolute shame if Wolanin doesn’t crack the starting roster considering what he’s accomplished with this organization. Never pouted, awesome character, great skater, can move the puck, and is generally reliable.

And then you have Forbort who is slow, can’t skate, can’t move the puck, but he is pHySiCaL and can pk twice a game.

Feb 20, 2013
As many have pointed out, this was a standout game for Raty. I watched him a lot in Abby last year, and his hands, game sense, size, and shot have always been NHL level, but he had struggled to make it because of his sub par skating. He legitimately looked faster than I have ever seen him this game, so kudos to him if it is something he has worked on.
He was also very impressive in the circle, which is not something I had consistently seen from him before.
He also made some really nice plays on the breakout in the defensive zone, quick little passes and receptions in traffic.
He basically did everything that a coach could want in a third line center, so if he continues to play like this he will make the team over the likes of Aman, who is a less talented player, but a far better skater. (Suter can easily be moved to the wing once Blueger returns). It seems that he has realised that he probably will have to at least begin his full time NHL career as a bottom six player, and it looks like he has worked on the skills to do so this summer.

Lekkerimaki was the other standout from the prospects, and honestly played pretty much like he did last year in the SHL. He is another player that I watched a ton of last year. As I have mentioned before, his hands, playmaking, and IQ were good enough last year, and the shot is more than good enough, the question was always going to be strength. What he showed today was that he is smart and skilled enough that he can be effective without the puck in all three zones. Again, if he can do this consistently to an NHL level he will make the team. Today he looked sort of like a smaller, faster Boeser, which is a hell of a compliment. Don't discount how good a player with his skillset can be defensively either because he has the hockey sense and quick hands to force turnovers despite undersized and not a standout skater at the NHL level. Hopefully this is something he grows into. I also suspect his AHL production will be similar to his NHL production would be should he get sent down because his strengths and weaknesses will be similar at both levels, and he is the type of player that will benefit a lot from skilled linemates and PP1 opportunities. He is also an underrated playmaker... His linemates last year just didn't do a good job of finishing off plays.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad