Post-Game Talk: [Pre-Season] Game 1 | Vancouver Canucks defeat Seattle Kraken | 3-1 (Hoglander, Hronek, & Suter)

• PLEASE check any bookmark on all devices. IF you see a link pointing to mandatory.com DELETE it Please use this URL https://forums.hfboards.com/

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Woo!

Silovs was the best player on the ice, IMO. Think he saw the Lankinen acquisition and is staking his claim to the net.

Lekkerimaki definitely stood out in a great way - picking up two assists for his efforts.

Game was way feistier than I thought it would be. Both teams were jonesing for a fight almost from the get go. Myers was all chaos tonight. And man, Friedman really pisses people off.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Also - Karlsson and Raty had solid workmanlike games. Not sure that either of them possess the skating to really break into a meaningful role, but they’ve worked on the other aspects of their game enough to be useful depth in case of injury, at least.

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
Raty winning faceoffs at that rate is going to get him on the team. Feels like the offense is almost there as well.

We can also hit pause on the D Pete hype for a year. He clearly needs AHL time.

Agree on D-Petey - he had some flashes, but definitely struggled with the pace. Nothing wrong with him cutting his teeth in Abbotsford, either.

I should add Garland to the Friedman pile of “man, he really pisses off opposing players”. He just doesn’t take a night off.

Reactions: arttk and LordBacon

ziploc

Aug 29, 2003
Vancouver
Good performances for most of the young guys besides D-Petey who needs to adjust with the pace and pressure.

Raty, Karlsson and Lekkerimaki making cases to stick around. Alriksson showing reasons to be excited, didn't notice much from Sasson yet.

Don't see a universe where Friedman doesn't make it as 7D. Forbort probably did enough to not shake his spot.

Silovs looks primed for NHL games.
Still think all of the young guys start in Abby. I don't see who they are replacing in the lineup, even with Joshua out for awhile. It's a good problem to have, and they should get chances through call-ups this year.

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk EP Sprong
Hoglander Suter Garland
Sherwood Blueger Blais
PDG, Aman

Perhaps there is wiggle room with the likes of Blais and Sprong, PDG and Aman, but the question is, do the Canucks want to lose those depth guys on waivers when they can send the young guys down? I think they will want to keep their depth intact, unless some players really poop the bed or the prospects make an undeniable case.

sting101

Feb 8, 2012
Lekk throwing out Seth Jarvis vibes in this game

Would not be surprised to see Raty between Garland and Joshua as our 3rd line

DPetey with a rough 1st game

VibinCanuck

No doubt about it, I am ready to get hurt again
Sep 13, 2014
Vancouver
My Takeaways:

Silovs is a stud, he was fantastic tonight covering up lots of first game errors of guys.

Raty had a fantastic game, in all facets of the game. Notably he looked fast against a fast Kraken team. Need to see more in future pre-season games.

Lekkermaki looks like a player. 2 assists, but more impressively he had some great defensive plays and became more comfortable as the game went on. Still needs to add strength.

Myers was an absolute menace, loved his fire and leadership tonight

Boeser looked great, crazy that he had a blood clot issue in May!

D EP looks raw, which is understandable. AHL will do him good

Karlsson had a great game too, underrated player for the camp battles.

Heinen came as advertised, smart player. Will be a great addition

Hoglander looks ready to have a big season, he was fantastic. Especially in the PP bumper position.

Nucker101

Foundational Poster
Apr 2, 2013
Still think all of the young guys start in Abby. I don't see who they are replacing in the lineup, even with Joshua out for awhile. It's a good problem to have, and they should get chances through call-ups this year.

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk EP Sprong
Hoglander Suter Garland
Sherwood Blueger Blais
PDG, Aman

Perhaps there is wiggle room with the likes of Blais and Sprong, PDG and Aman, but the question is, do the Canucks want to lose those depth guys on waivers when they can send the young guys down? I think they will want to keep their depth intact, unless some players really poop the bed or the prospects make an undeniable case.
I'm not seeing it with Blais, that torn ACL robbed him of some speed which was crucial to his game as a physical forechecking menace

Bankerguy

Apr 28, 2013
1. If Raty was a RHS id put money on him making the team.
He still has a great chance to make it.

2. Lekkerimaki will be an NHL regular next year and he will be very good. very calm with the puck on his stick, great passer and puck handling. great vision too. reminds me of young Nazzy a bit the way he has patience. no panic

3. Dpetey doesnt think the play quick enuf yet. AHL bound

4. Hronek, Hoggy and Garly are in for good years.

4b. didnt like Suters game. he wasnt hard on pucks

5. Boeser is the best goal scoring NON-play driving winger in the league. He cant drive a line but is great with someone who can.

6. Silovs looks so so good

7. i think Myers is getting better with age and is way better than Forbort

moiderer

Jul 28, 2021
Vancouver

Heinen Miller Boeser
Debrusk EP Sprong
Hoglander Suter Garland
Sherwood Blueger Blais
PDG, Aman

It's just preseason game 1, no roster decisions to make yet.

Of course the young guys need to keep it up but when I see Lekkerimaki being given every chance to make the team it's hard to argue they won't make a spot for him.

Lekkerimaki is probably the only one gunning for a full-time spot. Maybe Aman or Karlsson might make 13F. Don't see Blais impressing so far.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013
I'm not seeing it with Blais, that torn ACL robbed him of some speed which was crucial to his game as a physical forechecking menace
Should cut him in short order here. It’s not as if there aren’t enough guys competing in those spots.

Rather bet on other slow guys within the organization.

Shareefruck

Apr 2, 2005
Vancouver, BC
Two thoughts I haven't seen:

* It's really nice to see Hronek play well in a game where he isn't playing with Hughes
* Call me crazy, but I've never had an issue with Tomlinson as a color guy. He's solid, especially compared to the clowns you regularly hear on other teams-- Maybe a little less flavor than you'd like, but it's perfectly fine. Our city's spoiled when it comes to guys calling the games.

Peen

Rejoicing in a Benning-free world
Oct 6, 2013

* It's really nice to see Hronek play well in a game where he isn't playing with Hughes
* Call me crazy, but I've never had an issue with Tomlinson as a color guy. He's solid, especially compared to the clowns you regularly hear on other teams-- Maybe a little less flavor than you'd like, but it's perfectly fine. Our city's spoiled when it comes to guys calling the games.
Shorthouse stopped being short with him as the season went along and then it wasn’t that bad anymore. Not close to Ferraro’s level, but shorthouse was taking out his frustrations over Cheech’s firing on DT live on air and it sucked.

krutovsdonut

eeyore
Sep 25, 2016

team tomlinson here from last year. he's not great but he is ok and i fnd him less predictable than ferraro.

Reactions: Nomobo

King Crimson

Oct 6, 2011
Raty and Lekkerimaki are very clearly NHL-level players. The only things they lack are physical--Raty with his speed and Lekkerimaki with his strength. And even then it doesn't look they're far off. They're both smart as hell and are able to play around those minor flaws. I think Lekk also has the chance to be a very special player. Like, multiple 40-goal seasons special.

Anyway, at least on the forwards side, whatever the final NHL roster turns out to be, it's good to know that we'll have capable players ready to fill in in case of injury. Hopefully it means that the Canucks will be more able to rest forwards out of caution and still not miss a beat.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad